Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Druids: Their Origins and History by Lewis Spence - worth reading?  (Read 2780 times)

Rós

• View Profile
I picked up a used copy as I have an interest in Druidism due to my own roots. I saw that it does show up on the stickied reading list, but is there anything more in depth I should consider so that I can read it with some of the criticisms in mind?

Looking forward to being a part of this message board as I learn more about my Celtic roots!

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Druids: Their Origins and History by Lewis Spence - worth reading?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 07:40:05 pm »
Quote from: Rós;192920
I picked up a used copy as I have an interest in Druidism due to my own roots. I saw that it does show up on the stickied reading list, but is there anything more in depth I should consider so that I can read it with some of the criticisms in mind?

Looking forward to being a part of this message board as I learn more about my Celtic roots!

I just answered this question in a lengthy way in your introduction thread. The short answer is:

It is very typical for the time of its origin, or, rather, typical for what you could read in the 1875-1927 era.

If you are looking for up to date historical research, it is not useful.

If you are looking for a stage in the development of the modern Druidic movement, it is a good example of Edwardian Meso-Pagan Druidry.

If you approach it as a source of inspiration, it may serve as such.

Meso-Pagan Druidry answer the question: Which instruments heighten awareness, and assist modern Druids today to revere Nature and practice their Druidry efficiently?

Neo-Pagan Druidry answer the question: What did Celtic-speaking peoples and Indo-European-speaking peoples do in the past, and how do we sacrifice to the deities, the land spirits and the ancestors?

Although Lewis Spence, who lived before the split between Meso-Pagan and Neo-Pagan Druidry occurred, probably intended to answer the latter question, his book nowadays better serve the purpose to answer the former one instead. For fresh research, read recently published books on an academical level.

Tags: