Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Liminal Times  (Read 7631 times)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Re: Liminal Times
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 09:17:17 am »
Quote from: Altair;193444
I agree about their otherworldliness.

But for me, above all it's the first hour or so after sunrise and the last hour before sunset. There's something about the golden light slanting across everything, setting things aglow while casting long shadows, that cracks the world open for me, for lack of a better explanation.

Maybe it's that the beauty of even the most ordinary things is revealed, and I want to freeze the moment; but I can't, and the fact that it's one of the most fleeting moments of the day, a passing gateway to the beauty of the world, makes it very liminal for me.

Well said (as always!).  In mulling over this, I realized that, for me, this time of day combined with certain places makes this liminality more pronounced.  Evening twilight in the mountains here can be spectacular with skies that Maxfied Parrish would envy.  Light and shadow play in ways that doesn't happen in a flatter landscape.  Likewise, twilight over the ever-changing landscape of the ocean gives a greater sense of liminal potential.  Perhaps it's that interplay between light and shadow, luminosity and shade that creates the liminality of those moments.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

LilacRaveclaw

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 11:29:04 am »
I've learned a mediation called eclipse of the sun. You create your own luminal times. It's used in cursing and I've adapted it so that I can create that effect. I am learning how to tap into the dark matter of the universe which is 90% of all of creation for humans.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 03:34:53 am »
Quote from: LilacRaveclaw;193454

A Reminder:
LilacRaveclaw,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, and to do so every time you make a reply, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder; however, you have received several such reminders and are still not consistently complying. Not quoting is a rules violation; formal warnings (followed, if necessary, by stronger consequences - scroll down to the 'Consequences of Community Rule Violations' section) can and will be issued to anyone who persists in breaking this rule.

No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 03:42:11 am »
Quote from: LilacRaveclaw;193454
I am learning how to tap into the dark matter of the universe which is 90% of all of creation for humans.

I am curious how one "taps into" dark matter (aside from, like, tapping a swamp for dark mana) and to what use one would put it. Please, do go on.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 10:14:27 pm »
Quote from: Altair;193444
I agree about their otherworldliness.

But for me, above all it's the first hour or so after sunrise and the last hour before sunset. There's something about the golden light slanting across everything, setting things aglow while casting long shadows, that cracks the world open for me, for lack of a better explanation.

Maybe it's that the beauty of even the most ordinary things is revealed, and I want to freeze the moment; but I can't, and the fact that it's one of the most fleeting moments of the day, a passing gateway to the beauty of the world, makes it very liminal for me.

This is true.

I live in a liminal place, by the sea and at the foot of mountains. The power of it is amazing, especially at the golden hours of sunset and sunrise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 12:59:36 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;193675
This is true.

I live in a liminal place, by the sea and at the foot of mountains. The power of it is amazing, especially at the golden hours of sunset and sunrise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find I work with liminal places more than liminal times but if I can combine them then the power of both is intensified.

Yesterday I found myself in a place that was neither water nor land
I was neither on the ground nor in the air
It was neither light nor dark

Pure serendipity. Probably the more powerful for not being consciously planned

Tags: