Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Celebrating the Celtic Beer Gods  (Read 3397 times)

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Celebrating the Celtic Beer Gods
« on: June 21, 2016, 02:47:17 pm »
So I'm a beer lover and so I'd like to incorporate that into my individual celebrations. I've read about Goibhniu previously and I've found Seonaidh and Taliesin from this site: http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/beer-gods-goddesses/

That site lists some holidays of these gods but I'm not finding any other sources for them. So, what I'm curious of is what holidays they are referencing? Are there any actual holidays that celebrate any of them? Or any practices that are already being done for them?

I think it would be fun to have a celebration of Fled Goibhnenn eventually when I am around enough people interested in this. It'd be nice to have already set celebrations to look into to base mine off of but I am happy to just make up my own also :)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrating the Celtic Beer Gods
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 11:38:00 pm »
Quote from: Geckomamasita;192831
So I'm a beer lover and so I'd like to incorporate that into my individual celebrations. I've read about Goibhniu previously and I've found Seonaidh and Taliesin from this site: http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/beer-gods-goddesses/

That site lists some holidays of these gods but I'm not finding any other sources for them. So, what I'm curious of is what holidays they are referencing? Are there any actual holidays that celebrate any of them? Or any practices that are already being done for them?

I think it would be fun to have a celebration of Fled Goibhnenn eventually when I am around enough people interested in this. It'd be nice to have already set celebrations to look into to base mine off of but I am happy to just make up my own also :)

Taliesin is more properly a bard (possibly a real person) than a god, although there are those who certainly do worship/honor him.

If you find figures on that list that you're interested in, I'd look up more information on them specifically, not just in relation to their link to beer. (I found some of the info a bit dubious, and some of the conclusions seemed to be a bit forced--the conclusion that Cerridwen's cauldron contained beer and that she is, therefore, a beer deity is quite the stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 11:44:25 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;192865
Taliesin is more properly a bard (possibly a real person) than a god, although there are those who certainly do worship/honor him.

If you find figures on that list that you're interested in, I'd look up more information on them specifically, not just in relation to their link to beer. (I found some of the info a bit dubious, and some of the conclusions seemed to be a bit forced--the conclusion that Cerridwen's cauldron contained beer and that she is, therefore, a beer deity is quite the stretch.

I can definitely see that they weren't completely truthful. I was rather confused on Taliesin since I couldn't find anywhere else calling him a god. I did find some things on the other two but there's quite a bit in Irish and Welsh. I'm taking an Irish language class in the fall so that should help a bit

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:47:05 pm »
Quote from: Geckomamasita;192866
I can definitely see that they weren't completely truthful. I was rather confused on Taliesin since I couldn't find anywhere else calling him a god. I did find some things on the other two but there's quite a bit in Irish and Welsh. I'm taking an Irish language class in the fall so that should help a bit

You can find an English translation of the Mabinogian, which is probably the most "original" source on Welsh mythology.

I'm not sure on Irish mythology.

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 11:48:09 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;192867
You can find an English translation of the Mabinogian, which is probably the most "original" source on Welsh mythology.

I'm not sure on Irish mythology.

I've already bought a copy that I'm reading through. Thank you for the suggestion though!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 01:26:16 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;192865

It's a beer-appreciation/beer-geeking site, so while it might well be a good resource regarding beers (it looks enough so that this beer geek is bookmarking it!), it's likely to be much, much less solid when recounting beer-related trivia (for which the standard is likely to be, 'is this a fun thing to trot out for your friends over a pint?').

That site listed Brigid among the patron saints of beer and brewers (linked from the gods and goddesses page), and didn't include the goddess Brigid from whom at least some of the saint's attributes and associations likely derive. It'd depend on the extent to which you consider the saint to be a Christianization of the goddess, and/or to which you are comfortable treating their attributes as likely to be shared, but she might be another one to follow up on.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: