"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Possible poltergeist, possible overactive imagination. Opinions appreciated.  (Read 3287 times)

Soletaken

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Where to begin? I'll try to brief, but still put in relevant information. I have depression and anxiety, and am taking meds and seeing a therapist. Both are helping. I admit to having fallen off my meditation practice, which is not helping. I have a history of poltergeist activity  (first one when I was a teen, there has been other manifestations during my adult years in particularly difficult times) and am currently stressed. It's very possible given my current state of mind and past history, I've spawned a poltergeist. It's also possible I haven't and past history is influencing my perception of events.

About 3 weeks ago, give or take, I noticed a strange thumping, banging noise coming from the wall between the living room and spare bedroom. It actually sounded like it was coming from inside the wall, and then the sound started coming from the floor. Again, sounding like from inside, then there was a knocking from the underside of the coffee table. None of my cats were under the table, so I told myself it was nothing, and tried to ignore it. A day or so later, my hubby and I were in the living room, and the knocking under the coffee table started again. We looked under to see if one of our cats was playing under there, but no cat. We decided to ignore it, as hey, it wasn't actually causing any trouble.

The sounds have intensified. About a week back, the hubby, let's call him B, woke up very early. B got up, fired up the laptop, and was playing a game when a loud thumping started outside, against the front wall of the house. The thump then started coming from the floor, right beneath his feet, B could feel the vibration under his feet. He stood up and walked to the front door, and the thump hit beneath his feet again, once, hard. This worried him, and he decided to come get me. The thumps followed him, and when he got to the bedroom door, the noise happened twice directly under his feet, as if warning him to leave me alone. He decided to go back to his game, and tell me later.

I've heard the noises off and on, but it was more intense last night. B decided to sleep on the couch (and no, we weren't fighting or anything lol, the couch is just comfortable and he has a long day ahead and needed a good night's sleep) and I slept in the bed. Around 3:40, he came to get me. I followed him into the living room, sat down beside him on the couch, and then a loud thump/bang/scrape sounded from the front porch. The noise repeated several times, and I tried to explain it away. There are armadillos that sometimes get on the porch and dig through my herb planters, and I thought maybe it was them.

A couple bang/scrapes later though, something hit the side of the house, then the banging started up under our feet. The floor was vibrating like something was right beneath the flooring, and I'll tell ya, it was damn unsettling. We just sat together until it stopped, and I asked him if he wanted me to join him in the living room, or if he wanted to join me in the bedroom. He said we'd just go through the night normally, and sent me back to bed and he went back to the couch.

This morning everything seemed cool, kissed B bye before work, settled down with a cup of coffee, and then the banging and scraping started on the porch again. I rushed out as quick and quiet as I could, hoping to catch some varmint red handed and laugh about the whole thing, but no varmint. I sat outside for awhile, but no wee beastie appeared. The sound had stopped, and eventually I went back in, only for the noise to start up again right away. Again, couldn't see anything when I went out.

A bit later, from inside the wall to my left, I heard a strange buzzing/moaning noise. That was a first. I've heard some funny sounds in this house, and debunked a fair few, but I'm at a loss on this one.

I'm just puzzled what direction to go with this. It all sounds so textbook poltergeist-y that I want to call it that, take steps to calm my mind (which I plan to do anyway) and wait for the stress to lower enough to stop fueling activity. On the other hand, as much as I believe in paranormal activity I also believe in mundane activity and want this to be something boring. It's just looking less boring by the day.

Since I can't sort out for myself what's going on, I'd really appreciate any and all opinions to help me choose a course of action. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may offer, and if no thoughts are offered, thanks for reading my rambling. It's kinda nice just to talk about it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:16:44 am by Soletaken »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Quote from: Soletaken;192757
I'm just puzzled what direction to go with this. It all sounds so textbook poltergeist-y that I want to call it that, take steps to calm my mind (which I plan to do anyway) and wait for the stress to lower enough to stop fueling activity. On the other hand, as much as I believe in paranormal activity I also believe in mundane activity and want this to be something boring. It's just looking less boring by the day.

Since I can't sort out for myself what's going on, I'd really appreciate any and all opinions to help me choose a course of action. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may offer, and if no thoughts are offered, thanks for reading my rambling. It's kinda nice just to talk about it.

Sounds to me like you quite possibly do have a wee beastie/varmint - that's got itself stuck in between the walls and joists of your house, and can't figure out how to get out. At any rate, I'd say you want to investigate that possibility first, not just because 'eliminate mundane explanations before assuming non-mundane ones,' but because neither you nor the critter want the critter to die in there.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Rökkatru
Quote from: SunflowerP;192772
Sounds to me like you quite possibly do have a wee beastie/varmint - that's got itself stuck in between the walls and joists of your house, and can't figure out how to get out. At any rate, I'd say you want to investigate that possibility first, not just because 'eliminate mundane explanations before assuming non-mundane ones,' but because neither you nor the critter want the critter to die in there.

Sunflower

I agree, assuming that your home is built in such a way as to allow for this as an explanation and the volume & intensity of the bangs corresponds. For example, if the bangs are that forceful but you're living in a trailer with insufficient interstitial wall space to allow for a creature large enough to cause that then no; it's likelier to be paranormal.

Good luck in either case. I hope you get to feeling better quickly.
Owner of Dusk's Embrace Woodworking

At Dusk's Embrace Woodworking we strive to use only naturally sourced materials to make our products out of respect and love for our home.

Facebook: @DusksEmbraceWoodworking

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: he, him, his
Quote from: Soletaken;192757

Although I am also a firm believer in the Paranormal I agree with Sunflower and Skumring on this one. If you have a crawl space under the house it is worth asking B to investigate this for any signs of animal activity and if you have access to your attic (?) or inside the ceiling/roof cavity that's definitely on the to check thoroughly list. While staying in my Oma's (Grandmother's) house with my folks to clear the estate we replaced a loose corner roof tile only to find that night a Possum had made the roof cavity its home and was trying to get out so we soon removed the tile again.

The fact that your house noises have occurred for as long as three weeks is unusual but it could still be animal related at this stage. If so you could even have an animal which has access to the outside setting up a nice cozy nest in your house like we had.

Keep us posted ;)

Soletaken

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: SunflowerP;192772

Sunflower

I'm on my phone, so quotes are tricky. I'm going to try to reply to everyone using this quote, and hopefully that's ok. If not, I'm sorry.

We've checked for critters, and haven't found anything. A big relief, because I hate the thought of anything trapped in my walls. I think the unfamiliar scent might also have driven my animals into a frenzy, so I'm feeling pretty confident this isn't critter related.

I did have a thought this morning, that I think might be the culprit, and is the explanation I've decided to run with. Temperature fluctuations and humidity. The wood of the house expanding/contracting as the day starts to heat up or the night has cooled down just might make some gnarly noises, and I've heard that humidity can cause similar stuff. The heat and humidity during the day has been outrageous, for about the length of time this has been happening. The noises are pretty much occurring during the coolest parts of the night, and in the morning when it's heating up outside. Right or wrong, for my peace of mind, I'm going with this explanation lol.

I appreciate yall taking the time to read and comment. Thanks.:)

Tags: