Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: My first tarot deck!  (Read 3108 times)

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
My first tarot deck!
« on: June 17, 2016, 08:52:21 am »
So, my plan was to wait until I was out of my Mom's house to get a deck, but I just couldn't wait anymore.

I had my heart set on the Universal RWS deck, but I was very drawn to the Ravens Prophecy Tarot by Maggie Stiefvater. I found this odd, since I'm not usually into gothic art, but I absolutely love it and I feel very good about reading with it. My first reading made total sense to me. I think I've found my "thing." :)

Does anyone else have this deck? The reviews I have seen don't recommend it for beginners, but that is not my experience.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: My first tarot deck!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 06:01:14 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;192666
So, my plan was to wait until I was out of my Mom's house to get a deck, but I just couldn't wait anymore.

I had my heart set on the Universal RWS deck, but I was very drawn to the Ravens Prophecy Tarot by Maggie Stiefvater. I found this odd, since I'm not usually into gothic art, but I absolutely love it and I feel very good about reading with it. My first reading made total sense to me. I think I've found my "thing." :)

Does anyone else have this deck? The reviews I have seen don't recommend it for beginners, but that is not my experience.

Pffft, reviews.

I've never seen it before, but it certainly is vibrant! And if you're having success with it already, I think that it is clearly one that resonates with you. That's awesome.

xAyla

• View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 12:28:37 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;192666

It's a really beautiful deck! I'm glad it seems to be working well for you :) I would think that how you feel when working with it matters more than what other reviewers say about it.

I also just got my first tarot deck recently, it's the COSMOS tarot & oracle deck from Light Grey Art Lab. I was going to wait to order my first one, but I was really drawn to the art in this deck.
"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - Neil Gaiman

blessedoutcast

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 02:09:12 am »
Quote from: MeadowRae;192666

I came very close to buying that deck. Was at a shop and liked the box, was about to open it, since it had already been opened with lid open and plastic gone. SO that I could see the cards. The deck was snatched out of my hands however, by the shop keeper, replying that I couldn't touch the deck due to that I might imprint onto the cards. I understood, so asked if she could show them to me. She didn't like that idea, even after I pointed at the fact that the box was already opened by someone other than me, thus the deck may have already been imprinted. She wasn't having any of my reasoning, so I took it as the universe was telling me not to get it. Later down he road, I got a deck called "Dark Sun" still haven't used it, much. But I was drawn to it and like the art within them.

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft/Gaelic polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 08:04:10 pm »

Oooh, I love that! Thanks for sharing!
"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

- W.B. Yeats

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:30:45 am »

Ooh that's a beautiful deck. I just bought my first deck as well (I live alone but am staying with my parents and there are FOUR metaphysical shops within an hour; I'm inventing weird reasons to go out lol so I can visit them). I really wanted the Druid Animal Oracle, because that's close to my path, but I spotted the Wildwood Tarot in this amazing little shop that has more stuff in it than you can possibly imagine. I'm telling you, if you're ever in Harrisburg, PA, check out Heaven and Nature.

Anyway, I love them! I just like looking at them and thinking about the meanings. Also, having just gone through a rough breakup of a very close friendship, drawing some very helpful cards on my first try was pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 09:37:55 am »

That is a really neat deck.  I think a lot of 'not for beginners' reviews tend to start with the assumption that you are wanting to read the 'traditional' meanings (aka the standard RWS meanings).  My personal experience is that finding a deck that speaks to you is much more important.  It sounds like this one works for you, which is great!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: