Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Hello light/goodbye light: midsummer 16  (Read 6940 times)

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan. kitchen witch.
Hello light/goodbye light: midsummer 16
« on: June 09, 2016, 11:18:16 pm »
Yellow! Blessing to all! I'm excitedly typing this as I test a recipe for midsummer:  a peasant bread.  

The past few days I've been reading about the solstice and its meaning to the ancients of all different societies.  I feel like I really was struck this go around by the idea that the solstice was a celebration of the season of growth and abundance but also the beginning of the wheel turning toward winter.  We will be back on our way towards darkness in a few weeks!  Wild. Maybe time just moves that much faster each new decade you're alive.  

Anyway, anyone have any special recipes or rituals?  

I'll be charging opals for some new jewelry I'm making.  I'll be making a fire, burning honeysuckle thyme and sage.  I'll probably make a few new protection spells and amulets.  

And food!  😍  Corn pudding, fresh bread, berries.

Sigh.  i so look forward to my sabbats

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello light/goodbye light: midsummer 16
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 07:16:34 am »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;192482
The past few days I've been reading about the solstice and its meaning to the ancients of all different societies.  I feel like I really was struck this go around by the idea that the solstice was a celebration of the season of growth and abundance but also the beginning of the wheel turning toward winter.  We will be back on our way towards darkness in a few weeks!  Wild.

While this is true about the length of the day, this fact co-exists with the fact that summer weather will be with us for another two or three months. I think that this difference between light and heat is worthy of its own considerations.

Since the late 18th century, the modern Swedish Midsummer (Friday and Saturday after Summer Solstice) is associated with potatoes, pickled herring, chive, beer, liquor and strawberries, so I eat that at Summer Solstice.

I observe at least two (some years three) rituals at Summer Solstice. I rise before sunrise, in order to watch the Sun rise above the horizon, and greet it in a proper way. I also observe the exact time of the Solstice, which usually occur at another point of the day or night. This year it happens late in the evening in my time zone.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 08:34:05 am »

This year I won't be able to do much on the actual day of the solstice (or much afterwards either), as that's the day that I'll be flying internationally for my summer vacation. I'll be greeting the sun that morning when we land at the airport, hah.

I'll try to do something small in the days beforehand, most notably I have a recipe for orange and ginger shortbread that just screams "sun" to me that I've been saving for this sabbat.

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:20:11 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;192489
While this is true about the length of the day, this fact co-exists with the fact that summer weather will be with us for another two or three months. I think that this difference between light and heat is worthy of its own considerations.

Since the late 18th century, the modern Swedish Midsummer (Friday and Saturday after Summer Solstice) is associated with potatoes, pickled herring, chive, beer, liquor and strawberries, so I eat that at Summer Solstice.

I observe at least two (some years three) rituals at Summer Solstice. I rise before sunrise, in order to watch the Sun rise above the horizon, and greet it in a proper way. I also observe the exact time of the Solstice, which usually occur at another point of the day or night. This year it happens late in the evening in my time zone.

I'm glad for the lasting heat.  And in my only family this was always the first day of summer as our holiday had just begun.  Summer into fall is probably my favorite time of the year.  I guess this year the fading of light really stuck out to me!

All of your food sounds yum!

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 10:20:45 am »
Quote from: Noctua;192494
This year I won't be able to do much on the actual day of the solstice (or much afterwards either), as that's the day that I'll be flying internationally for my summer vacation. I'll be greeting the sun that morning when we land at the airport, hah.

I'll try to do something small in the days beforehand, most notably I have a recipe for orange and ginger shortbread that just screams "sun" to me that I've been saving for this sabbat.

I think beginning your vacation is analmoat perfect celebration!

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 11:23:43 am »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;192497
All of your food sounds yum!

My choice of food is traditional since 200 years. Iron Age food it is definitely not: Potatoes were introduced in the Enlightenment Era, thanks to trans-Atlantic trade, and Swedes became just as dependent on potatoes as the Irish in the 19th century.

And though destillation of alcohol was invented by the Arabs in early middle ages, its popularity in Sweden didn't grow gradually until the 17th century: The Enlightenment Era and the Oscarian Age were the peaks of hard liquor consumtion in Sweden.

Pickled herring* must have been perceived as a monotonous dish back when large segments of the population couldn't afford anything else, but now, when it is eaten just a few times a year - Christmas, May Eve, National Holiday, Midsummer - it is an interesting curious folk dish from the past. Personally, I find the version with mustard best. You will probably find it in IKEA.

It is funny: Most of the year, modern Swedes eat everything but traditional Swedish food - Tex-Mex, Thai, pizza and pasta, sushi, soy lattes... - but as soon one of the traditional holidays occur even Agnostics and Pagans suddenly play at being 19th century farmers, at least as far as cuisine goes.

* Pickled herring ought not to be mixed up with fermented herring - which is an entirely different dish, which requires a very particular palate and a less-than-functioning olfactory sense, developed by third-generation Northerners, hardened by the extreme weather up north. I am from one of the southern duchies myself, and can't stand the smell of fermented herring, which is a very regional dish.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 04:01:24 pm »
Yellow! Blessing to all! I'm excitedly typing this as I test a recipe for midsummer:  a peasant bread.  

The past few days I've been reading about the solstice and its meaning to the ancients of all different societies.  I feel like I really was struck this go around by the idea that the solstice was a celebration of the season of growth and abundance but also the beginning of the wheel turning toward winter.  We will be back on our way towards darkness in a few weeks!  Wild. Maybe time just moves that much faster each new decade you're alive.  

I'll be charging opals for some new jewelry I'm making.  I'll be making a fire, burning honeysuckle thyme and sage.  I'll probably make a few new protection spells and amulets.  

And food!    Corn pudding, fresh bread, berries.

Sigh.  i so look forward to my sabbats

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. My quite Christian mom will be here, so nothing to paganish/druidy. But I do get off work early enough to do something, so I'm thinking we'll make a special dinner of some sort (probably just lots of fresh veggies and greens and maybe a homemade peach frozen yogurt... Yum!) to celebrate the flavors of summer. If we get nice weather that day, probably then a walk after dinner to watch the sunset. :)

I haven't seen my mom in a few months, so just having time to visit will be really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 03:53:09 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;192501
I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. My quite Christian mom will be here, so nothing to paganish/druidy. But I do get off work early enough to do something, so I'm thinking we'll make a special dinner of some sort (probably just lots of fresh veggies and greens and maybe a homemade peach frozen yogurt... Yum!) to celebrate the flavors of summer. If we get nice weather that day, probably then a walk after dinner to watch the sunset. :)

I haven't seen my mom in a few months, so just having time to visit will be really nice.

I think that all sounds amazing!  Even though you have different beliefs you can still enjoy your visit together AND celebrate summer and all its juicy abundance.  

I mean, peaches.  The season of peaches.  Yum.

I hope you have a special day :)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 03:55:34 pm »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;192564
I think that all sounds amazing!  Even though you have different beliefs you can still enjoy your visit together AND celebrate summer and all its juicy abundance.  

I mean, peaches.  The season of peaches.  Yum.

I hope you have a special day :)

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to it. My mom is awesome in many ways, the fact that she'll probably vacuum and do all my laundry while she's here not the least among them. And the grand-cats will be spoiled. :)

And I heartily agree on peaches. They're amazing. And one of the few fruits I am not (yet) allergic to.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 05:19:17 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;192501

I'm with my very Christian mom, too. I'll be having tea on the porch and watching the sunset. Nothing too witchy about that, right? :whis:
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 06:52:16 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;192566
I'm with my very Christian mom, too. I'll be having tea on the porch and watching the sunset. Nothing too witchy about that, right? :whis:

That sounds pleasant.

I'm looking forward to Lughnasadh. I don't think I'll have family here, so I'll probably be doing something special. Not sure what, though.

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 07:48:29 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;192571
That sounds pleasant.

I'm looking forward to Lughnasadh. I don't think I'll have family here, so I'll probably be doing something special. Not sure what, though.

I don't know, tea has a witchy place in my heart ;)

Also, I love Maine.  Lived there for a summer.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 08:32:59 pm »
Quote from: milkeyedmender;192603
I don't know, tea has a witchy place in my heart ;)

Also, I love Maine.  Lived there for a summer.

I adore Maine. I swear it has magic in the soil.

This is just a block from my house.

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 02:37:46 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;192605

Wow!  I think you're right, it seems magical in its rural/wild landscape.  Sighs. I almost moved back this summer, but jobs are scarce and you really have to have one nailed down before you go.

anunitu

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 02:50:59 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;192605

I am in NJ,so Main would most likely be very nice. New here ,so hi all.:)
Move along,nothing to see here.

Tags: