Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Where do I fit in?  (Read 2328 times)

Ravenna

• View Profile
Where do I fit in?
« on: June 09, 2016, 10:53:35 pm »
Hi!

For a while now I've felt I was called to worship a goddess. One who watches over all the earth and its people. What I've read here on Wikipedia about the idea of a mother goddess about summarises my conception of Her, and I also like the idea of the Triple Goddess.

But I still feel like I'm missing something. I feel as if there are a few other deities of some kind I should be giving attention, that exist alongside this goddess but on some other level or in some other way.

I've researched a lot of the more common pagan religions but nothing quite fits or feels right.

Could anyone give me any pointers on how to progress from where I am right now?
Maybe I'm being somewhat vague here, but I'm not sure how else to word what I'm feeling. I just feel a little stuck and don't know which direction to go.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I fit in?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 02:43:50 am »
Quote from: Ravenna;192480
Hi!

For a while now I've felt I was called to worship a goddess. One who watches over all the earth and its people. What I've read here on Wikipedia about the idea of a mother goddess about summarises my conception of Her, and I also like the idea of the Triple Goddess.

Maybe I'm being somewhat vague here, but I'm not sure how else to word what I'm feeling. I just feel a little stuck and don't know which direction to go.

Just a suggestion... Why not start honoring the unknown goddess in a general way? Perhaps in her Triple Aspect. I don't know if it would work, but sometimes I think if you start what you do know and go from there, you might gain some insight into what exactly you're drawn to. You could do really general practices: light candles, say general prayers, leave little offerings on a non-specific altar. I think gradually you'll figure out who She is. There are a LOT of goddesses out there.

Perhaps you are also being called to worship more than one goddess with all three of them filling out the triple aspect. Just a thought. A lot of pantheons don't have true Triple Goddesses, but they'll have three goddesses that together fill out the aspects of maiden, mother, and crone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 07:39:13 am »
 ...But I still feel like I'm missing something. I feel as if there are a few other deities of some kind I should be giving attention, that exist alongside this goddess but on some other level or in some other way.

I've researched a lot of the more common pagan religions but nothing quite fits or feels right.

Personally for me the process of connecting with Pagan deities has been a very slow process of at least 2-1/2 years and while I have inched closer to connecting and/or being called, I've not gotten 'there' yet.  I think it is perfectly fine to honor and worship the deity, or god or goddess "who has not revealed theirself to me".  That's what I've done... and I do think that 'calling out' such a request within your form of worship (or other activity) perhaps will 'catch the ear' of a god, goddess, ancestor, etc. who will contact/connect with you in some way subliminally, quietly or otherwise... eventually.  For me it has been a matter of being patient and learning to enjoy being on this new path/journey (separate from the progressive Christian one I was on, previously).  

As always, it is important to read a lot of the mythologies of cultures you are interested in.  Personally I like to 'google' specific gods / goddesses and see what images (classic and modern) artists have created as a bit of a discernment tool myself.  Also look on the Etsy site.  That said, thinking about / pondering the myths has been my main discernment tool.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:40:28 am by njsquarebear »
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 02:22:32 pm »
Hi!

But I still feel like I'm missing something. I feel as if there are a few other deities of some kind I should be giving attention, that exist alongside this goddess but on some other level or in some other way.

This reminds me of the frustrating phenomena of looking all over the house for the keys that are in your hand. Sometimes you have to focus on something else for a while so everything can be made clear. I was in a very similar position as you not too long ago.

What are you going through in your personal life right now? Where could you improve or work on things? You may try asking the universe (or God and Goddess) that, as well. I found my goddess when I was going through hell and trying to avoid life. She found me when I found my personal power, and she guided me thru the healing required to use it.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Ravenna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:55:31 pm »
I know I'm a little late in saying this, but thank you for your replies! They were encouraging to read and definitely helped.

Quote from: ViolaRae;192526
This reminds me of the frustrating phenomena of looking all over the house for the keys that are in your hand. Sometimes you have to focus on something else for a while so everything can be made clear.

This resonates with me. Yes, I think in time things will begin to fit into place. c:

Chrissie0683

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 07:49:09 am »
Quote from: Ravenna;193265
I know I'm a little late in saying this, but thank you for your replies! They were encouraging to read and definitely helped.

This resonates with me. Yes, I think in time things will begin to fit into place. c:

I feel that the beauty of Wicca/Paganism is that you can effectively pick the parts that you are drawn to and make it your own. You don't have to follow a regimented path if none of them fit, you become an eclectic witch

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 11:02:49 am »
Hi!

Mother Goddess, triple Goddess... could be the Tridevi of Hinduism. Also known as Devi (it literally means Goddess) or Shakti. She manifests as Parvati/Durga, Saraswati, Lakshmi. There are plenty of Shakta-s (devotees of Shakti, Mother) who give only passing respect and reverence to male deities. For these devotees of Maa, Mataji (yes, Sanskrit cognate with "mother" in many languages ;)), She is everything. The originator and sustainer of the universe, and a loving mother even in her fiercest aspect Kali.

Tags: