Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: TV/Film: Favorite pagan movies?  (Read 7036 times)

the_raven

Favorite pagan movies?
« on: June 06, 2016, 03:57:59 pm »
I remember when I started a similar thread on another pagan website, the people there flipped saying these movies portray the pagan community as evil, and are therefore misleading, but anyway.

What are your favourite pagan/ witch themed movies?
Sure, they're misleading, but they show off some really beautiful scenery! And the whole mystic aura they give away is just so nice! :ange:
What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:23:04 pm by RandallS »

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite pagan movies?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 04:16:32 pm »
Quote from: the_raven;192336
I remember when I started a similar thread on another pagan website, the people there flipped saying these movies portray the pagan community as evil, and are therefore misleading, but anyway.

Sure, they're misleading, but they show off some really beautiful scenery! And the whole mystic aura they give away is just so nice! :ange:
What do you think?

Misleading or inaccuracies being put to the side, I have so many. Brotherhood of the Wolf is one of my favorites! Although its pagan/craft themes aren't the key focus of the movie. Lord of the Rings trilogy is also up there. When I was younger I loved the Craft, Sleepy Hollow, and Stardust so much

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 06:16:33 pm »
(...) What do you think?

No film I can remember, but I like the TV series Constantine, that run in 2014-15. It's a pity it wasn't renewed. The film with the same name (2005) is horrible.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 08:47:14 pm »

What do you think?
Practical Magic! Because when I'm old I wanna wear purple and conjure midnight margaritas.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 08:53:56 pm »

What do you think?
The original The Wicker Man!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 08:59:59 pm »

What do you think?

The Mists of Avalon miniseries, and the TV series Rome.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:17:25 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;192346
Practical Magic! Because when I'm old I wanna wear purple and conjure midnight margaritas.

Practical Magic = life goals. Seriously. I wanna be the aunts with my bestie. In that house. That specific house. But here, in BC. Because I obviously believe in miracles. ^_^

Have you read the book? It's completely different from the movie; I read it after watching the film, so I was able to enjoy them as separate things (with one maybe inspiring the other). Anyway, it's really good. Darker than the film, but still full of magic and sisterhood. I <3 them both.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 11:01:30 pm »
What do you think?

Despite its huge, massive, awful problems, I still hold a soft spot for The Craft. (I don't really have problems with the hollywood magic/inaccuracies galore side of things; more the really awful racism, fatphobia, classism, and disableism in the plot.) Still, I am all about the aesthetic of the 90s witch boom, so.

Also it's not a movie but I love Charmed, even though it's ridiculously cheesy and Rose McGowan doesn't know how to act. I watched it when I was feeling decidedly unwitchy and it inspired me to get back into the swing of things.  

The Fifth Element. This movie was formative for me; I saw it in theatres when I was 10. To me it's really pagan, but my opinion is probably in the minority.

Also, not movies but still heavy with pagan themes: Battlestar Galactica and Caprica.

Miyazaki films: Princess Mononoke; Kiki's Delivery Service; Spirited Away; Howl's Moving Castle...a lot of Miyazaki films deal with spirits and gods, or have witches as characters, or have a lot of magic in the setting or deal with themes you might call pagan. And I love every one I've seen so far.

Hocus Pocus I just adore.

Bewitched -- the old TV series, of course, but the more recent movie adaptation with Kidman and Ferrell is actually really fun.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch -- TV show from the 90s; lots of fun. I didn't get to watch all of it because I didn't have access to TV, but what I saw I really loved. (I also read her stories in the Archie comics.)

And Practical Magic, which has been mentioned already.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 11:03:25 pm »

What do you think?

Labyrinth and the Princess Bride are my favorites. Don't laugh.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 06:17:14 am »
Quote from: Demophon;192348
(...) and the TV series Rome.

Rome! Oh, yes! I definitely agree on that!

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: he, him, his
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 07:37:48 am »

Warlock, Stardust, Lord of the Rings, Conan, Gladiator, Highlander, Excalibur, The Dark Crystal, Narnia, Willow and Ladyhawke to name a few :pop:

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 09:11:46 am »

What do you think?

Agora.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

the_raven

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 05:04:03 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;192343
No film I can remember, but I like the TV series Constantine, that run in 2014-15. It's a pity it wasn't renewed. The film with the same name (2005) is horrible.

The series? Good? :eek: I watched like the first 10-15 minutes of the pilot and I couldn't stand it! The acting was bad, the CGI's were terrible, and it all just felt like yet another cheap Fox mystical thriller like Wayward Pines, Gotham, the Outcast, and so on...
I did love the movie, and the game. Maybe it's because I never read the original comics/ books?

the_raven

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 05:19:02 pm »

I forgot to mention, some of my favorites are the Craft , Season of the witch (mainly for the scenery), the Blair Witch Project (part one), Sleepy Hollow (if one can fit it into this category), Black Death, and a few others I can't remember right now.

Personally, I wouldn't add Constantine, Supernatural, Buffy, LotR, Narnia, Avatar, the Last Airbender, Conan, and heroic epics like Gladiator, the Odyssey, Pompeii, etc. into this category because: Constantince dwelves more in Abrahamic myth (which I don't consider pegan since at least three major world religions are Abrahamic, though that's not a correct classification on my part, but I think you got my idea); Supernatural has way more themes than just witchcraft/ paganism; Buffy is mostly about vampires, no? LotR, Narnia, Avatar, the Last Airbender, Conan are just fantasy; and heroic epics are just that - heroic, historical (or near-historical) epics...But that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:23:54 pm by the_raven »

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 05:36:47 pm »
Quote from: the_raven;192382
The series? Good? :eek: I watched like the first 10-15 minutes of the pilot and I couldn't stand it! The acting was bad, the CGI's were terrible, and it all just felt like yet another cheap Fox mystical thriller like Wayward Pines, Gotham, the Outcast, and so on...
I did love the movie, and the game. Maybe it's because I never read the original comics/ books?

Your last remark may be a reason. The series, unlike the film, had a reasonable resemblance of the original graphic novels (which, in turn, were invented by famous Glycon-worshipper Alan Moore). The producers of the TV-series were bright enough to look through actual grimoires to inform the aesthetics of the TV-series (at least somewhat), just as the comics artists often have done. The Catholic twist and de-occultification in the film just ruined how the character is supposed to be.

Tags: