Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Kemetic Mentor please!  (Read 1153 times)

Lostgoddess

• View Profile
Kemetic Mentor please!
« on: June 05, 2016, 06:36:20 pm »
I'm just starting out in discovering Kemetic. I have started researching and putting together a book list to start reading. I'm looking for someone who can be a distance or nearby mentor to help me on my journey to commit to Kemetic.

I was born Christian but never understood it. Had little interest since bible school never made sense to me. I couldn't quote you not one script nor name anyone who's an important figure.

I've went on in life not claiming a religion nor was I claiming to be an atheist. I have a few high school friends who inspired me to look into Kemetic. From then I have done a lot of reading from Google.

I think I've researched as much as I can which it could also be tainted with what they want me to believe. So here I am. Looking for someone that can be a spiritual mentor in finding my way.

Thank you very kindly.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Kemetic Mentor please!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 02:02:25 pm »
Quote from: Lostgoddess;192295
I'm just starting out in discovering Kemetic. I have started researching and putting together a book list to start reading. I'm looking for someone who can be a distance or nearby mentor to help me on my journey to commit to Kemetic

My recommended Kemetic newbie book list is:

- The One and the Many (Hornung)
- Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods (Meeks and Meeks)
- Temple of the Cosmos (Naydler)

These are all accessible books that will go a long way towards establishing an understanding of Egyptian cosmology.  They are not, however, at all useful as a practice guide giving you anything to work with on a practical level.  There are no books I'm aware of that I would recommend for that (I am slowly working on writing one, but emphasis on the "slowly").

For that I would suggest that you go through the Kemetic Roundtable and have a look at various people's answers to basic practice questions here:  http://www.roundtable.kemeticrecon.com/category/questions/daily-practice-rituals/

You may also want to join http://perakhet.com/forum/ where you can get responses to specific questions from a variety of people, or post questions here in the Kemetic SIG.  I strongly recommend talking to a variety of people rather than latching onto a single mentor; there is a lot of variety out there in how people go about things.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Lostgoddess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 02:54:34 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;192327
My recommended Kemetic newbie book list is:

- The One and the Many (Hornung)
- Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods (Meeks and Meeks)
- Temple of the Cosmos (Naydler)

These are all accessible books that will go a long way towards establishing an understanding of Egyptian cosmology.  They are not, however, at all useful as a practice guide giving you anything to work with on a practical level.  There are no books I'm aware of that I would recommend for that (I am slowly working on writing one, but emphasis on the "slowly").

For that I would suggest that you go through the Kemetic Roundtable and have a look at various people's answers to basic practice questions here:  http://www.roundtable.kemeticrecon.com/category/questions/daily-practice-rituals/

You may also want to join http://perakhet.com/forum/ where you can get responses to specific questions from a variety of people, or post questions here in the Kemetic SIG.  I strongly recommend talking to a variety of people rather than latching onto a single mentor; there is a lot of variety out there in how people go about things.

Thank you very much.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:12:55 am »
Quote from: Lostgoddess;192422
Thank you very much.

Glad I could help!  Please, do ask questions as you come up with them.  I suspect you'll do well asking on the other forum, which is full of Kemetics and Kemetically knowledgeable people from a variety of backgrounds, but people here will also do their best for you.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: