Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Can we get a "beginners" book list?  (Read 13806 times)

Doc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Can we get a "beginners" book list?
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:53:17 pm »
I know we have a sticky for recommended reading, However when I looked upon said list I was completely confused. I propose that we create a sticky with either a top 10 or top
20 list of reading material. We all know that the recommendations were not entirely for beginners. The list I propose we create together would give a beginner, such as myself, a chance to start out on the right path and build a solid foundation. I mean that what this forum is for right? To help people and to talk about Heathenry?
Doc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
Re: Can we get a "beginners" book list?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 06:39:13 am »
Quote from: Doc;191777
I know we have a sticky for recommended reading, However when I looked upon said list I was completely confused. I propose that we create a sticky with either a top 10 or top
20 list of reading material. We all know that the recommendations were not entirely for beginners. The list I propose we create together would give a beginner, such as myself, a chance to start out on the right path and build a solid foundation. I mean that what this forum is for right? To help people and to talk about Heathenry?
Doc

:)

http://www.realheathenry.com/top-five-books-new-heathens/
http://www.realheathenry.com/5-more-books-for-new-heathens/

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 09:55:44 am »
Quote from: bobthesane;191789

Dang, Bob, A Piece of Horse Liver was great when I was reading up on Hraesvelgr but I'd be hesitate to recommend it to totally new Heathens. Do you have a different starter list for people who don't have a college degree and maybe need to work up to it? XD

It's nice to see Davidson getting some love, though. I haven't read We Are Our Deeds, can you point me to a summary of what you like about it?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:59:16 am »
Quote from: Jack;191796
Dang, Bob, A Piece of Horse Liver was great when I was reading up on Hraesvelgr but I'd be hesitate to recommend it to totally new Heathens. Do you have a different starter list for people who don't have a college degree and maybe need to work up to it? XD

It's nice to see Davidson getting some love, though. I haven't read We Are Our Deeds, can you point me to a summary of what you like about it?

LOL You don't need a degree to understand any of these, although I will admit they can be heavy reading at times.

These books were all chosen because they help the new heathen to understand and begin to build a germanic heathen worldview. It has long been my belief that without the worldview to accompany the practice, all a person is doing is simply shoehorning their old religion into where the new one should go. At that point, the newbie in question might as well just continue calling it whatever it was they are trying to leave behind.

That's how we get so many people running around with Christian baggage, for example. But if you try to tell them they are carrying it around, they get butthurt and offended. And then, a couple years later (I have had this happen more than once) When they DO finally start to learn and build that worldview, they sheepishly come back and apologize for their previous behavior.

Better to just avoid the potential embarrassment now, and start building from the ground up so that the foundation is solid, and the framework is there to support the worldview.

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 03:56:17 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;191789

I'd love to see an expanded post with a paragraph blurb on each as to why it was chosen!

To these books, since it hasn't been mentioned, I definitely would add the Prose Edda and Poetic Edda.

Also general thoughts on making this thread sticky?
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 07:38:21 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;191829
Also general thoughts on making this thread sticky?

My thought is that it's a sufficiently sensible and useful thing that I'm going to go ahead and do it.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Doc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 02:19:37 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;191852
My thought is that it's a sufficiently sensible and useful thing that I'm going to go ahead and do it.

Sunflower

Yay my post became important lol

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 09:30:23 pm »
Quote from: Doc;191777

Linking this here: another beginner book thread, specifically about Paxson's Essential Asatru and Patricia M. Lafayllve's A Practical Heathen's Guide to Asatru. The thread also mentions The Elder Troth: An Introductory Course of Study, as well as the website Myths Retold.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Tags: