Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Initiation of the first ever adept?  (Read 2827 times)

the_raven

Initiation of the first ever adept?
« on: May 20, 2016, 07:46:29 am »
Hmm, the topic name is a bit strange...oh! Hi!

So yeah, I was wondering - you're starting your own religion (be it reconstructionist, original, or imported from somewhere else); you may believe in the deities, principles, etc., but you still need initiation. Now, who can initiate you if there is no officialized clergy? Can you initiate yourself? How appropriate would it be? If you're not initiated, but start initiating others so they could initiate you, how appropriate would THAT be?
I mean, sure, some of us out there can say they were chosen by a deity as prophets or whatnot, but what about those who weren't but still feel the need to do it?
Any ideas?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Initiation of the first ever adept?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:11:53 am »
Quote from: the_raven;191435

So yeah, I was wondering - you're starting your own religion (be it reconstructionist, original, or imported from somewhere else); you may believe in the deities, principles, etc., but you still need initiation. Now, who can initiate you if there is no officialized clergy? Can you initiate yourself? How appropriate would it be? If you're not initiated, but start initiating others so they could initiate you, how appropriate would THAT be?

There's two different things going on here, and you're conflating them.

There are initiatory experiences, in which something happens, and you gain insight or understanding or depth of understanding or something like that (which, in a religious context, is often about something to do with deity.)

But initiation in a group context is about entry into the group, normally through shared experiences with other people in the group that give you shared things to work with. That's a human thing, not a deity thing.

Normally, what happens with initiatory *traditions*, therefore, is something like this:

1) First Person has an experience or set of experiences that they find moving, meaningful, important, illuminating, etc.

2) First Person figures out ways to share these experiences with others (this may require some trial and error testing, and a lot of poking at things. It's not like people reliably wake up and go "I know exactly how to transfer this to other people!" one morning.)

3) New Person wants to have similar experiences / insights / understandings / learn things that First Person is doing. First Person sets up situations that will give the same or similar experiences, or at least stand a decent chance of doing so. Often in the initial stages, First Person and New Person work closely together for a bit, and try things out, and it's usually pretty obvious when things click into place and they're connecting on a different level than previously.

Usually this method of transmission gets a bit better as it's further refined, but there are a lot of things where you sort of go "Okay, we know this group of things has this effect, but we're not exactly sure which bits do what, so we can't leave any out in case something goes wrong and we end up missing something important."

(And, in witchcraft trads, at least, I think there's a certain aspect of different parts of the initiation doing similar things, but registering or effecting people differently, and you need the sum total to add up to enough to make the initiation work, but some people get a lot out of piece A of the initiation, and some people get a much smaller amount, but get a lot more out of piece B. So if you change either Piece A or Piece B, the thing may not work as well for some number of possible initiates, but still work for some.)

In some cases, there are also some explicit other parts - for example, my witchcraft initiations included a direct explicit 'we are joining you to the current of this tradition' part which wasn't about me having experiences or new understandings directly, but about my initiators giving me access to that current (like you might give a friend a key to your house: very deliberate act.)

Also, bear in mind that these days, there are a number of other initiatory groups around, and *new* initiatory groups tend to start more easily when at least one of the people starting a new one has experience in other initiatory groups, because there's a whole lot of 'how do we express key concepts and experiences' stuff that's transferrable even if the specifics are different. Groups started by people without that experience can work, but they have a higher risk of crashing and burning in some problematic ways.

The role of the deities? My experience is that the deities don't precisely care about the specifics of the initiatory rituals (except for the parts that are directly about them) so much as they care about whether those initiatory rituals lead to the deities involved getting the service and worship they're interested in. So they care about, say, prayers and invocations and such to them, but somewhat less about the framework of the ritual (if there isn't a known one for them) or how the humans decide to prepare for initiation, or cosmetic details.

(But at the same time, cosmetic details like decorations or clothing or other choices can matter a lot in the human experience of the event...)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 09:37:44 am »
So yeah, I was wondering - you're starting your own religion (be it reconstructionist, original, or imported from somewhere else); you may believe in the deities, principles, etc., but you still need initiation.

There are initiatory groups, and there are public religions. Some public religions have less intense initiations, some don't have any initiations at all. I could list some examples, but I don't know if you or any other users would find such a list interesting.

You know more about Thracian, Dacian, Phrygian and Scythian religion than I do, but if it historically was organizationally anything like Greek or Roman religion, initiation was not a prerequisite to perform private, domestic or public religious rituals. I do not write about the mystery religions now - that is a particular group of religious practices of their own.

If you compare with a continuously alive Indo-European religion like Hinduism, no one is expected to perform all and every religious practices. What you do is dependent on your age, gender, place in society and personal preferences.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 09:48:48 am »
So yeah, I was wondering - you're starting your own religion (be it reconstructionist, original, or imported from somewhere else); you may believe in the deities, principles, etc., but you still need initiation.

Most religions are not mystery religions requiring initiation.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:09:17 pm »

I mean, sure, some of us out there can say they were chosen by a deity as prophets or whatnot, but what about those who weren't but still feel the need to do it?
Any ideas?

I'm pretty much going to just agree with what Darkhawk said. Most religions don't really require initiations for worshippers (though I think there are some branches of Wicca that do require it). They are participatory, and you can just show up to rituals and join in. And maintain your own home shrine, which was also quite common.

To become a priest on the other hand would definitely require some kind of initiation, as a priest actually needs specific skills to do their job. How the 'first' priest comes into being .... I guess he could always initiate him/herself. Or grow into the role via experience and social approval.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 06:48:30 pm »
Quote from: Yei;191485
To become a priest on the other hand would definitely require some kind of initiation, as a priest actually needs specific skills to do their job.

Nope. Not everywhere at least.

Greek and Roman priests were appointed by their city council for a year or a slightly longer term of office, and, when the term of office ended, someone else was appointed. It was just a minor step in career, leading to more influential duties, like being an army officer or a governor of a province. Greek and Romans had a very political and non-surpernatural view on priesthood: It was basically like becoming an MP. Mystery religions was the exception: In them, priesthood was lifelong and initiation was a prerequisite.

That was also the reason, why the Greek held Egyptian religion in awe, when they became aware of it. In Egypt, priesthood was life-long, often went in the family, and there was at least some sort of appointment ceremony (I don't know the details), so the Greek - erroneously - interpreted this to mean that all Egyptian religion was a mystery religion. The funny thing is, that, by time, the worship of Isis and Osiris/Serapis outside Egypt changed into the very thing it had been supposed to be.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 07:37:02 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;191487
Nope. Not everywhere at least.

Greek and Roman priests were appointed by their city council for a year or a slightly longer term of office, and, when the term of office ended, someone else was appointed. It was just a minor step in career, leading to more influential duties, like being an army officer or a governor of a province. Greek and Romans had a very political and non-surpernatural view on priesthood: It was basically like becoming an MP. Mystery religions was the exception: In them, priesthood was lifelong and initiation was a prerequisite.

Well I assume they would choose people who could do the job rather random dudes.

But I was really thinking of the more permanent priest role than the more temporary 'Roman style'. I just think that this type of priest is more familiar today.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 07:51:33 pm »
Quote from: Yei;191490
Well I assume they would choose people who could do the job rather random dudes.

But I was really thinking of the more permanent priest role than the more temporary 'Roman style'. I just think that this type of priest is more familiar today.

They weren't entirely random: They generally belonged to the upper crust of society, and were expected to soon be promoted to a higher step in their career. And I was really thinking of priests in the Roman provinces of Dacia and Thrace, since that seem to be the area of interest for the threadstarter. Until I receive reliable information, that religion in Thrace was organized 'Egyptian style', I will assume that it was organized 'Graeco-Roman style'.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 05:30:04 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;191491
They weren't entirely random: They generally belonged to the upper crust of society, and were expected to soon be promoted to a higher step in their career. And I was really thinking of priests in the Roman provinces of Dacia and Thrace, since that seem to be the area of interest for the threadstarter. Until I receive reliable information, that religion in Thrace was organized 'Egyptian style', I will assume that it was organized 'Graeco-Roman style'.

Ah that's a good point. I have to admit that this didn't occur to me.

the_raven

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 02:02:04 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;191491

While there's not much known about the Thraco-Dacian religion, researchers generally point to a class-type society, where there were two classes - peasants and nobles. The nobility were alowed to become priests (and to wear short hair, though I'm not sure if this is important in this case), but there seems to be a debate on whether or not all of the nobility were priests. Personally, I don't think they were because the priests are described more as monks, and that'd be impractical, since nobles would have to refuse the life of luxury, and most importantly - procreation. On the other hand, such a possibility does exist because the priests had three casts of their own: the Kapnobatai (literally "those that walk the clouds/ though smoke" - interpreted as actual monks, or highest-ranking priests serving at mountain-top temples); the Ktistai (the founders of people - interpreted as a cast of healers), and the Polistai (founders of cities - interpreted as a cast of teachers). Nothing is mentioned of them becoming priests temporarily to attain a higher position in society (though of course, it may just not be known as yet).

I'd actually start a separate thread deicated to what I know of the Thraco-Dacian religious system, but I don't exactly know which sub-forum to stick it into, since it would mention both festivals, rituals, general descriptions, and some particular details.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 02:53:13 pm »
Quote from: the_raven;191681
While there's not much known about the Thraco-Dacian religion (...) the priests had three casts of their own: the Kapnobatai (literally "those that walk the clouds/ though smoke" - interpreted as actual monks, or highest-ranking priests serving at mountain-top temples); the Ktistai (the founders of people - interpreted as a cast of healers), and the Polistai (founders of cities - interpreted as a cast of teachers). Nothing is mentioned of them becoming priests temporarily to attain a higher position in society (though of course, it may just not be known as yet).

That is a VERY interesting information! Thank you! It would have been interesting to know, if Thracians and Dacians had terms of office or a perpetual priesthood, but I understand if sources are scarce. There are lots of gaps in what we know about Norse religion as well.

I guess there is lots of information available in Romanian, Moldavian and Bulgarian, that is not ascessible in English (or Swedish). Do you know anything about a Horseman-god popular in the Balkans in late antiquity? I have been wondering if the Scandinavian perception of O∂in could have been modified in the 5th-6th century due to influences from Goths, Herules and Nordic mercenaries returning from sejours in the Roman Empire.

the_raven

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 06:00:55 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;191684
That is a VERY interesting information! Thank you! It would have been interesting to know, if Thracians and Dacians had terms of office or a perpetual priesthood, but I understand if sources are scarce. There are lots of gaps in what we know about Norse religion as well.

I guess there is lots of information available in Romanian, Moldavian and Bulgarian, that is not ascessible in English (or Swedish). Do you know anything about a Horseman-god popular in the Balkans in late antiquity? I have been wondering if the Scandinavian perception of O∂in could have been modified in the 5th-6th century due to influences from Goths, Herules and Nordic mercenaries returning from sejours in the Roman Empire.

From what I could figure, the Thracians/ Dacians were relatively 'barbaric' compared to the Greeks or Romans - they lived in tribes and nations, similar to the pre-colonial Americans (Indians). Sure, there were bigger cities, but they were few, and power in kingdoms was heavily decentralized (each nation and tribe within a kingdom seemed to have acted on its own, and they'd only come together during wars and whatnot). In fact, the Greeks helped develop the Odryssian Kingdom, whereas Dacia seems to have been developed under the rule of select individuals (Deceneu, Burebista, Zalmolxis), who were said to have learned from the Greeks (the god Zalmolxis, in old texts, is discribed as a man who was either a slave or an apprentice of Pythagoras, and later returned to Dacia and re-educated his people, giving them medical and astronomical knowledge, at some point 'dying' and returning in godly form). So they're a high chance that on an under-national (in tribes), priesthood was a life-long position, whereas in the ruling cities, they could have been appointed. But since there were casts of priests, they could have been both.

The problem with information on the subject is that there's a lot of speculation and even more intended disinformation. I don't know of Bulgaria, but in Romania, during Ceausescu's reign, the whole Dacian or Roman-Dacian heritage bit was used for propaganda. So one has to consider the available information very carefully. I think the Nazis did something similar to Germanic/ Scandinavian lore during the war.

the_raven

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 06:31:50 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;191684
Do you know anything about a Horseman-god popular in the Balkans in late antiquity? I have been wondering if the Scandinavian perception of O∂in could have been modified in the 5th-6th century due to influences from Goths, Herules and Nordic mercenaries returning from sejours in the Roman Empire.

From what I know of the Thracian Horseman (called Heros in Greek), he is presumed to be either a local god of the underworld, or a depiction of Apollo or Sabazius - the latter, from what I read, is the patron god of horses and the sun.
At the same time, it could have just been a depiction of heroism - the Thracians and Dacians are described as fierce people, who charged into battle without fear. Or it could be a symbollic depiction of prosperity and joy, since they were also keen hunters (having a dedicated goddes of the hunt - Bendis)(and if Orphism as we know it in it's Greek form was any similar, the Thracians also hated life, seeing it as punishment for the soul, so that could explain the idea of joy and prosperity).
Additionally, I read somewhere that remains of nobles were found, clad in their armors,  placed in carriages, with horses and hunting dogs burried alongside. At some point, there could have been a burial tradition of 'the last hunt', when the dead or dying noble was sitted in the carriage and let to ride it, as if hunting. Maybe those who couldn't have been sent on their last hunt simply got a standard burrial, having those funeral stelae placed at their graves?
I also read somewhere that Zagreus - the Thracian (Odrysian) god of wine (according to Orphic myth, the first incarnation of Dionysus) was also often depicted and discribed as a hunter, but one who wouldn't kill his prey. So it could be his depiction (though that would conflict the killing of a boar/ dragon/ whatever other animal is depicted).
So yeah, I know as much as anyone else about him. Still, I have an idea on how to overcome this in my attempt to revive the old faith.

LilacRaveclaw

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 06:39:08 pm »

Any ideas?

There is always someone who goes first. I'm the first person in century's to awaken to witchcraft in my ancestor line. No one did that to me. Maybe my specific Gods and Goddess put me thru an ordeal. Isn't that the traditional way? If Your the first then be grateful and move forward.

May the wind always be at your back.

Tags: