Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Author Topic: Southern slavic paganism  (Read 3777 times)

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Southern slavic paganism
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:26:28 pm »
Orginally when I set out into becoming a pagan, I was looking something involving southern slav traditions. I was born and raised in US but my mother immigrated here from Croatia. I am still well connected with her side of the family but a language barrier is present since I only speak English. My family is split Catholic or nonreligious and none of them have had any interest in paganism so there isn't much of an information source there. My grandmother did read fortunes through multiple mediums and I heard that her mother taught her. I'm sure they would have been a great source for a lot of my questions.

I've found lots of things from many other slavic groups, which have been great reads. But I am curious for things more local to the area around Croatia. I know that so much has been lost and it is an uphill climb to find anything on them. My mother actually told me that she had read some books in her hometown about the pagans but the library has been destroyed since then. So, does anyone have any recommendations?

the_raven

Re: Southern slavic paganism
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 07:05:45 am »
Quote from: Geckomamasita;191413

Quite an interesting question! While I myself can't help you there (I'm not even remotely Croatian), surprisingly, I could understand Croatian when I heard it (I'm a native-speaker of Russian, so that helped). What I'd suggest is that you visit your croatian relatives, ask them about it; of it not, ask your mom to teach you Croatian and then go to Croatia. Now, I could be mistaking, but Croatian mythology is based on Illyrian and Slav? There's indeed very little info available on the Illyrian subject (at least, from what I couldn't find on the 'net), but there's plenty on the Slav subject (if anything, look at the neighbor Slavs' traditions). Of course, the Croatian folk traditions and lore are also a good place to start.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:23:39 am by Morag »

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 08:30:54 pm »
Quote from: the_raven;191428
Quite an interesting question! While I myself can't help you there (I'm not even remotely Croatian), surprisingly, I could understand Croatian when I heard it (I'm a native-speaker of Russian, so that helped). What I'd suggest is that you visit your croatian relatives, ask them about it; of it not, ask your mom to teach you Croatian and then go to Croatia. Now, I could be mistaking, but Croatian mythology is based on Illyrian and Slav? There's indeed very little info available on the Illyrian subject (at least, from what I couldn't find on the 'net), but there's plenty on the Slav subject (if anything, look at the neighbor Slavs' traditions). Of course, the Croatian folk traditions and lore are also a good place to start.

It's funny you say that. I knew Croatian when I was younger but I have forgotten it. But, one of my good friends is Ukrainian and when I hear him on the phone with his parents, I can pick out some of the words. I bought a textbook on early slavs in general so hopefully that will lead me to Croatian-specific things to read.

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:34:01 pm »
Quote from: Geckomamasita;191413

I've found lots of things from many other slavic groups, which have been great reads. But I am curious for things more local to the area around Croatia. I know that so much has been lost and it is an uphill climb to find anything on them. My mother actually told me that she had read some books in her hometown about the pagans but the library has been destroyed since then. So, does anyone have any recommendations?

Have you thought about researching into Balkan paganism? There's the book Balkan Traditional Witchcraft by Radomir Ristic, a thread about that can be found on the old board Here. It's not an area I know much about, but that might get you started :) I find it easier to research in larger regions that specific countries sometimes.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 01:47:27 pm »
Quote from: savvy;191740
Have you thought about researching into Balkan paganism? There's the book Balkan Traditional Witchcraft by Radomir Ristic, a thread about that can be found on the old board Here. It's not an area I know much about, but that might get you started :) I find it easier to research in larger regions that specific countries sometimes.

Thank you! I just ordered that book

Tags: