Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Ogham and rune sets crafting  (Read 2978 times)

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Ogham and rune sets crafting
« on: May 19, 2016, 03:59:50 pm »
I'm a pretty avid crafter and I've been meaning to get back into divination. I've taken up a very slow going project of making a set of ogham. I have a few questions to put out there but I thought I should include some background, so bear with my long post.

When I was out on one of my weekly nature adventures about two months ago, I was lucky enough to find a fallen branch of the right diameter. It was actually dry which was such a find since here in Montana the snow had been melting and frequent rainshowers. I originally intended to have it as decortaion in my apartment but it hit me that I should make a set of ogham instead. So, I bought a wood burner and landscape hand saw. They are not the prettiest but I think the amount of times I cut and burned myself has given plenty of myself to them haha. I still have to make eleven more but I lucked out again last Saturday, finding a lovely fallen ponderosa pine that I cut a branch from. It should be enough length to complete my project now.

So, first question, what should I seal with? I found some beeswax sticks that my beekeeper friend had given me a few years ago that I would love to use. I Googled some options and I think I could get by with almond oil and beeswax. Any other ideas of what I could use? Or possibly a better option? I am not wanting to get any heavy wood sealers or anything of that nature. I'm a chemist so I'd rather leave the heavy smells in my lab and not come home to them.

I've never used ogham for readings, my only experience is with tarot. I really enjoyed cqard readings and was rather good at it. My deck was ruined in the move out here so I haven't read in two years now. I was thinking on the back of the disks to burn in the same symbol but upside to mimic having an inverted card as in tarot and use some sort of mark so that I would know which is "front" and which is "back". I know that divination is a very personal experience, but I was curious of opinions on this.

For the runes, my mother found lots of these small, flat stones while out hiking. She knows of my interest in divination and she is a fan of Vikings so she saw how either Floki or the Seer (I don't remember which) had a set of stone runes, so she thought why not give her daughter another project? I've never read runes and my knowledge of them is limited. I'm planning on going with the Elder Futhark. Any recommendations on books or websites?

I bought some engraving heads for my Dremmel which I hope will get into the stone. I don't have any pictures or an ID on them, here's to hoping they aren't too hard. This is a whole new process for me since I have never carved into stone. My backup is painting the symbols on to them, which I have no clue what I would use to seal these ones. Any recommendations?

The runes, I'm not sure if I will click with. At the very least my brother followed Asatru so it will make for a nice memorial set to have in a bowl on my altar.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome :)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Ogham and rune sets crafting
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 03:19:52 am »
Quote from: Geckomamasita;191387
I've never read runes and my knowledge of them is limited. I'm planning on going with the Elder Futhark. Any recommendations on books or websites?

My usual go-to regarding runes is the Sunnyway site.

I'll note that heathens of a more hard-recon bent don't much care for that recommendation, but that's as much as anything because the evidence that runes were used for divination in preChristian times consists of just one undetailed vague reference, a bit in Tacitus that might or might not refer to runes. So runic divination is effectively a modern construction. That said, Sunnyway is a generally sound site on that modern construction and its historic roots.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:58:08 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;191424

I'll note that heathens of a more hard-recon bent don't much care for that recommendation, but that's as much as anything because the evidence that runes were used for divination in preChristian times consists of just one undetailed vague reference, a bit in Tacitus that might or might not refer to runes. So runic divination is effectively a modern construction. That said, Sunnyway is a generally sound site on that modern construction and its historic roots.

Sunflower

I would agree with this. If they are only making the set, especially just to put on an altar, they just need the runic symbols. They don't seem to be getting any deeper than that.

As far as sealing stone I don't think you need to but there are eco friendly stone sealers you can buy. The wood I would use beeswax on.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:18:58 pm »
So, first question, what should I seal with? I found some beeswax sticks that my beekeeper friend had given me a few years ago that I would love to use. I Googled some options and I think I could get by with almond oil and beeswax. Any other ideas of what I could use? Or possibly a better option? I am not wanting to get any heavy wood sealers or anything of that nature. I'm a chemist so I'd rather leave the heavy smells in my lab and not come home to them.

I believe my Celt is fond of walnut oil for his bouts of ritual woodworking; it needs UV light to cure, though, so you'll need to set it outside or something similar and make sure to turn it.  (He tends to put things in the light over his turtle aquarium.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »
I've never read runes and my knowledge of them is limited. I'm planning on going with the Elder Futhark. Any recommendations on books or websites?

Though these sources are about the Anglo-Saxon 26 rune futhark and the Nordic 16 rune futhark, they are among the oldest sources we have on the topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rune_Poems

Everything else is guesswork, informed guesswork, or UPG.

If you, on the other hand, is a fan of internally consistent systems (regardless of how much they actually reflect ancient ideas), it could be a good idea to check Sigurd Agrell's fascinating speculations about the 24 rune uthark from the 1920s, Johannes Buraeus 16th century interpretation of the Nordic 15 rune futhark, Guido von List's personal 18 Armanen runes (liberated from the Nazi taint after the war by the Anti-Nazi esoteric fraternity Fraternitas Saturni) and SS officer Karl Maria Wiligut's personal 24 rune futhark (different from the Elder Runes). Stephen Flowers has written a large number of books and articles from an etic academical point of view about all of the above, sometimes from an emic Left Hand Path point of view under the pseudonym Edred Thorsson. The Dragon Boys here in Sweden harp on about the abovementioned when you meet them at pub moots, though the subject matter usually (with the exception for some of my Chaos magical phases of life) is outside my own area of interest.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 12:42:14 pm »

I was thinking on the back of the disks to burn in the same symbol but upside to mimic having an inverted card as in tarot and use some sort of mark so that I would know which is "front" and which is "back". I know that divination is a very personal experience, but I was curious of opinions on this.

I am very 'do what works for you' in regards to most things.  My personal take on both Runes and Ogham don't typically include reversed, but if you like the idea of reversed Ogham, then go for it!  It is your set, you want one that speaks to you and that includes all the things you want it to.

I bought some engraving heads for my Dremmel which I hope will get into the stone. I don't have any pictures or an ID on them, here's to hoping they aren't too hard. This is a whole new process for me since I have never carved into stone. My backup is painting the symbols on to them, which I have no clue what I would use to seal these ones. Any recommendations?

I agree with the Sunnyway site for basic rune information, that was my first go-to for many years.  I enjoy both delving into the more historical approach (seeing how runes were used and interpreted before), but also seeing how modern readers connect to them.  I recently read "Runes for Transformation" by Kaedrich Olsen, which I really loved.  He gave me a lot of thought about how to uncover my own connections with the runes and I am really enjoying working through the exercises given in the book.

I haven't sealed stone (or wood), but I have made a few sets of my own rune stones, one of which is a very basic working set, with the runes painted on stones from my yard with nail polish.  So far, they have held up really well.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:26:58 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;191424

Sunflower

Thank you for this recommendation. I will look into it.

Quote from: Darkhawk;191458
I believe my Celt is fond of walnut oil for his bouts of ritual woodworking; it needs UV light to cure, though, so you'll need to set it outside or something similar and make sure to turn it.  (He tends to put things in the light over his turtle aquarium.)

Thats a neat idea. I have reptiles also, so I could just borrow one of their UV bulbs too :)

Quote from: FraterBenedict;191460
Though these sources are about the Anglo-Saxon 26 rune futhark and the Nordic 16 rune futhark, they are among the oldest sources we have on the topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rune_Poems

Everything else is guesswork, informed guesswork, or UPG.

If you, on the other hand, is a fan of internally consistent systems (regardless of how much they actually reflect ancient ideas), it could be a good idea to check Sigurd Agrell's fascinating speculations about the 24 rune uthark from the 1920s, Johannes Buraeus 16th century interpretation of the Nordic 15 rune futhark, Guido von List's personal 18 Armanen runes (liberated from the Nazi taint after the war by the Anti-Nazi esoteric fraternity Fraternitas Saturni) and SS officer Karl Maria Wiligut's personal 24 rune futhark (different from the Elder Runes). Stephen Flowers has written a large number of books and articles from an etic academical point of view about all of the above, sometimes from an emic Left Hand Path point of view under the pseudonym Edred Thorsson. The Dragon Boys here in Sweden harp on about the abovementioned when you meet them at pub moots, though the subject matter usually (with the exception for some of my Chaos magical phases of life) is outside my own area of interest.

I will look into all of those. Thank you!

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 10:38:20 am »

The runes, I'm not sure if I will click with. At the very least my brother followed Asatru so it will make for a nice memorial set to have in a bowl on my altar.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome :)

I would also go with the walnut oil for the wooden ones if you feel the need to seal them.

I am in the process of making some stone rune sets myself  - I use a Welsh runic system so I really have no choice.

I'd be interested in how you get on with the dremel. I've carved ritually into slate using a sharp point before now but the pebbles I have are limestone and are much too hard for this. I was planning on using a gold paint pen to mark them.  A trial worked OK and the paint didn't come off but how it would stand up long term I don't know.

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 02:07:29 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;191752
I would also go with the walnut oil for the wooden ones if you feel the need to seal them.

I am in the process of making some stone rune sets myself  - I use a Welsh runic system so I really have no choice.

I'd be interested in how you get on with the dremel. I've carved ritually into slate using a sharp point before now but the pebbles I have are limestone and are much too hard for this. I was planning on using a gold paint pen to mark them.  A trial worked OK and the paint didn't come off but how it would stand up long term I don't know.

I'll be getting the stones on Saturday and probably that night I will start working on them. I could post up some pictures if you'd like.

You've perked my interest with welsh runes though. I've read that runes are specific to only germanic tribes. So can you give me more information on this? :)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 06:58:55 am »
Quote from: Geckomamasita;191753
I'll be getting the stones on Saturday and probably that night I will start working on them. I could post up some pictures if you'd like.

You've perked my interest with welsh runes though. I've read that runes are specific to only germanic tribes. So can you give me more information on this? :)

Yes please to the pictures.

I've been playing with the Coelbren. How old it is is a matter of debate though and it may well just be a creation of Glamorgan Eddie ( Iolo Morganwg). I'm finding it interesting to work with.

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 12:57:57 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;191941
Yes please to the pictures.

I've been playing with the Coelbren. How old it is is a matter of debate though and it may well just be a creation of Glamorgan Eddie ( Iolo Morganwg). I'm finding it interesting to work with.
Here are some of my favorite pieces. This is my first time woodburning so they aren't the best. Also they aren't sealed yet.

Also I wish I were better at hand sawing because the thicknesses are drastically different. But, here's the whole set. I skipped on a few because I just don't have to skill to make a few

To your other comment, I'll have to look into those. I honestly don't think age is really that big of an issue or who the creator. If it works for you then it works.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 01:23:37 pm »
Quote from: Geckomamasita;191948
Here are some of my favorite pieces. This is my first time woodburning so they aren't the best. Also they aren't sealed yet.
/315435089bcd77ad424f0e4a86a28b3f.jpg[/IMG]

To your other comment, I'll have to look into those. I honestly don't think age is really that big of an issue or who the creator. If it works for you then it works.

Those look great  - do they really need sealing? My first attempts at pyrography resulted in burnt fingers and a major sense of humour failure!

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 01:30:52 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;191950
Those look great  - do they really need sealing? My first attempts at pyrography resulted in burnt fingers and a major sense of humour failure!
Haha oh geez, I had a similar experience. I was a moron and didn't realize all of the metal part gets hot and burned my hand.

But, thank you! I would prefer to seal them because they will fade and it'll help keep the bark on. I made an Awen pendant and it started looking worn rather early on, which I don't mind for the pendant. Here's a pic

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 03:43:35 pm »
Quote from: Geckomamasita;191951
Haha oh geez, I had a similar experience. I was a moron and didn't realize all of the metal part gets hot and burned my hand.

But, thank you! I would prefer to seal them because they will fade and it'll help keep the bark on. I made an Awen pendant and it started looking worn rather early on, which I don't mind for the pendant. Here's a pic

That was the mistake I made  - you only do it once! I like your Awen too.

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 03:46:50 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;191953
That was the mistake I made  - you only do it once! I like your Awen too.

haha yea. I wish I had watched a tutorial beforehand so I wouldn't have done that mistake! Also the first time I woodburned, the tool slid off my tabel and landed on a plastic bag that it melted through. So my apartment smelled awful for a day :( But it was a great learning experience haha

Tags: