Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: The Nature of (Popcultural) Religion  (Read 3039 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
The Nature of (Popcultural) Religion
« on: May 19, 2016, 12:52:58 pm »
Over the years I've seen way more discussion of popcultural magic than popcultural religion out there, and I think it's because magic is easier to talk about.  All the riffs and tricks that crop up in fiction are easy to adapt and adopt into a magical system, and don't require a lot of explanation, and that's just... simple.  I don't know.

But religion is harder.  Because it's squishy, and the boundaries are complicated, and a lot of the stuff that is religion is a lot harder to point at and say "That's religion" outside of its context.

But.  How many people here have a playlist called "Hymnal" or something like it, or devotional playlists for their gods?  Show of hands?  (My Hymnal playlist includes stuff ranging from , which is explicitly based on religious materials, to , ....)  That there, that's religious stuff.  That's religious stuff rooted in pop culture.

Is it "pop culture paganism"?  That kind of depends on definitions of the terms.  But it's pagan religious activity that is heavily engaged with and part of the conversation that is "pop culture", so I don't see how it can not be.

Religion isn't just about cultus.  Pop culture religion can't just be about fictional reconstructionism that pulls out the implied religious practices from stories and does that, or veneration of popcultural entities.  The concepts, the ideas, the worldview-shaping stuff that's in our fiction is still real, and it's still something potentially religious.

One of the things that I like about Kemetic theology is the emphasis on true names and the power of naming.  Where did I get that fondness?

Earthsea.

Do I do a lot with Earthsea?  Not overtly.

But, you know, I ask you to consider this, and juxtapose it with my default pagan handle:

Quote from: Ursula K. Le Guin
“Only in silence the word,
Only in dark the light,
Only in dying life:
Bright the hawk's flight
On the empty sky.

—The Creation of Éa”

It's just there, always.  And that's a theological statement there that's important, on multiple levels, and in many ways.

So, you know.  What is religion?  It's not just what you get up to in shrines.

(And the thing out of the Discworld that's in my shrine?  It's not any of the overt religious content, or even the overt magical theory.  It's an artificial lilac sprig, because of The People's Revolution of the Glorious Twenty-Fifth of May. These are symbols, and symbols are magic, and symbols are religion, and the boundaries are hard to pin down unless one spends a lot of time on vigorously policing them.  And who has that sort of time?)

So, yeah.  Mostly I'm noodling incoherently around the question of "What is religion anyway?" and "Where does religion come from?"

(Meanwhile, I just described one of the Powers in my personal pantheon as "The God Of The Other Leg Of The Trousers Of Time."  For more Pratchetty goodness.  I mean, the god in question isn't popcultural, BUT.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:54:06 pm by Darkhawk »
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Re: The Nature of (Popcultural) Religion
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 01:12:16 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;191373
Over the years I've seen way more discussion of popcultural magic than popcultural religion out there, and I think it's because magic is easier to talk about.  All the riffs and tricks that crop up in fiction are easy to adapt and adopt into a magical system, and don't require a lot of explanation, and that's just... simple.  I don't know.

But religion is harder.  Because it's squishy, and the boundaries are complicated, and a lot of the stuff that is religion is a lot harder to point at and say "That's religion" outside of its context.

But.  How many people here have a playlist called "Hymnal" or something like it, or devotional playlists for their gods?  Show of hands?  (My Hymnal playlist includes stuff ranging from , which is explicitly based on religious materials, to , ....)  That there, that's religious stuff.  That's religious stuff rooted in pop culture.

Is it "pop culture paganism"?  That kind of depends on definitions of the terms.  But it's pagan religious activity that is heavily engaged with and part of the conversation that is "pop culture", so I don't see how it can not be.

Religion isn't just about cultus.  Pop culture religion can't just be about fictional reconstructionism that pulls out the implied religious practices from stories and does that, or veneration of popcultural entities.  The concepts, the ideas, the worldview-shaping stuff that's in our fiction is still real, and it's still something potentially religious.

One of the things that I like about Kemetic theology is the emphasis on true names and the power of naming.  Where did I get that fondness?

Earthsea.

Do I do a lot with Earthsea?  Not overtly.

But, you know, I ask you to consider this, and juxtapose it with my default pagan handle:

It's just there, always.  And that's a theological statement there that's important, on multiple levels, and in many ways.

So, you know.  What is religion?  It's not just what you get up to in shrines.

(And the thing out of the Discworld that's in my shrine?  It's not any of the overt religious content, or even the overt magical theory.  It's an artificial lilac sprig, because of The People's Revolution of the Glorious Twenty-Fifth of May. These are symbols, and symbols are magic, and symbols are religion, and the boundaries are hard to pin down unless one spends a lot of time on vigorously policing them.  And who has that sort of time?)

So, yeah.  Mostly I'm noodling incoherently around the question of "What is religion anyway?" and "Where does religion come from?"

(Meanwhile, I just described one of the Powers in my personal pantheon as "The God Of The Other Leg Of The Trousers Of Time."  For more Pratchetty goodness.  I mean, the god in question isn't popcultural, BUT.)

I'll be straight with you: I don't really understand this post?

I mean, maybe because my definition of religion is not-as-squishy (i.e. religion is the cultic practices associated with honouring the Divine) but I'm not sure what you're getting at. If you're asking, does integrating pop culture into devotional practice mean it's pop culture paganism per se than I would have to say no. Pop culture paganism to me (for whatever that is worth) deals primarily with the use of fiction to relate to the Divine; which is distinct from PC magic because magic doesn't really have anything to do, necessarily, with the divine. But integrating bits and pieces because they're resonant or useful in relating to the Divine is just the average doing of religion IMO, and not 'pop culture paganism' unless one's cultus is focused specifically on pop cultural or fictional stuff.

But of course, your mileage may vary, and I expect it will.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 01:28:12 pm »
Quote from: Castus;191374
Pop culture paganism to me (for whatever that is worth) deals primarily with the use of fiction to relate to the Divine; which is distinct from PC magic because magic doesn't really have anything to do, necessarily, with the divine. But integrating bits and pieces because they're resonant or useful in relating to the Divine is just the average doing of religion IMO, and not 'pop culture paganism' unless one's cultus is focused specifically on pop cultural or fictional stuff.

But of course, your mileage may vary, and I expect it will.

I just can't be a purist about it, because it's not pure.

There are huge chunks of actual theology that I first encountered in fiction in one form or another, or in music, or in other things like that, things that have long formed the underpinnings of my belief set and - among other things - shaped my psyche in a way that suited me to particular specific pagan religions.  Those things are not minor or trivial, they're not dismissable.

Religion is and always has been more than cultus.  If I literally feel the presence of my god during a particular Crüxshadows song that is using a pop cultural creation to relate to the divine, unless there's some weird way of chopping language that makes it magically not count for the literal meaning of the words somehow?

Or... one of my backburner projects is explicitly writing a novel where the worldbuilding is based on a particular bit of Kemetic theology and exploring it in a science-fictional context.  Now, all of my fiction writing is explicitly a devotional act, but setting that aside, thinly veiled theology is still theology.

And I am actively and vehemently opposed to the idea that religion is solely or even primarily about cultus; that way lies festival-only religion and people who feel a-ok about saying that they have no religious principles and no moral standards anywhere other than in front of their shrines because it's All About The Gods And None Of It Is About People.
we rise and fall

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;191376

There are huge chunks of actual theology that I first encountered in fiction in one form or another, or in music, or in other things like that, things that have long formed the underpinnings of my belief set and - among other things - shaped my psyche in a way that suited me to particular specific pagan religions.  Those things are not minor or trivial, they're not dismissable.

Religion is and always has been more than cultus.  If I literally feel the presence of my god during a particular Crüxshadows song that is using a pop cultural creation to relate to the divine, unless there's some weird way of chopping language that makes it magically not count for the literal meaning of the words somehow?

Or... one of my backburner projects is explicitly writing a novel where the worldbuilding is based on a particular bit of Kemetic theology and exploring it in a science-fictional context.  Now, all of my fiction writing is explicitly a devotional act, but setting that aside, thinly veiled theology is still theology.

And I am actively and vehemently opposed to the idea that religion is solely or even primarily about cultus; that way lies festival-only religion and people who feel a-ok about saying that they have no religious principles and no moral standards anywhere other than in front of their shrines because it's All About The Gods And None Of It Is About People.

You make some fair points, Kiya. Perhaps I will have to re-think my position.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 01:59:30 pm »
Quote from: Castus;191377
You make some fair points, Kiya. Perhaps I will have to re-think my position.

"What is religion?" is a genuinely hard question!

It makes me feel a bit "I accidentally an entire praxis.  Is that dangerous?" a lot of the time.
we rise and fall

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 02:00:51 pm »
Mostly I'm noodling incoherently around the question of "What is religion anyway?" and "Where does religion come from?"
From what I've seen of pop culture magic that falls under the pop culture paganism label, I do get a similar sense that however a story resonated with someone (ethics, cosmology, the human condition) is considered that individual's own personal business. It's just the lot that I've scrolled past can more comfortably share what's nifty, which would be the spells. Not necessarily that there is no thought or resonance, although detractors might make a lot of noise in that direction.

Funnily enough, I've found far more overt devotion, ecstasy, and zealousness in fandom meta, that is, the analysis of the work that's generally considered secular but there's some effervescence (or the opposite, some magnetic intensity that can become obsession) that...well, the only thing stopping that from becoming Religious is that nobody uses the word in that space, but for occasionally joking, "I watch this show religiously" meaning they watch the show regularly as part of a routine, or "I love this celebrity/character so much that I made a shrine," and something about a joke like that can come off to me as more serious (deadly serious, like not a good thing to be this intense) than card-carrying pop culture pagans who actually set up some sort of actual shrine but might be like chill serious. Even though the one who said it as a joke might have done the same thing. But, I'm not the clergy of either of them, so whether they say it's like that or say it's not...they're right.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:08:43 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 02:04:34 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;191376

I'm strongly leaning toward using 'pop culture metaphysics' as a descriptive term so I don't have to worry about what's religious (fictional recon), what's magical (I learned name magic from the Young Wizards books, personally), and what's adjacent but not quite either one.

I am big on symbols and drawing lines between ideas and syncretizing, so there's almost always a flavor of pop culture in whatever I'm doing that's important, whether it's religious - Secret Vatican Demon Hunters influencing my Catholic mysticism, Saiyuki weighing on my Buddhism, or seeing Odin wearing, well, half a dozen fictional faces and counting - or other things, like the way I used to thread pop culture references into my college papers, or working a job where I'm actually expected to keep up on pop culture and literature.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 06:25:31 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;191379
Funnily enough, I've found far more overt devotion, ecstasy, and zealousness in fandom meta, that is, the analysis of the work that's generally considered secular but there's some effervescence (or the opposite, some magnetic intensity that can become obsession) that...well, the only thing stopping that from becoming Religious is that nobody uses the word in that space, but for occasionally joking, "I watch this show religiously" meaning they watch the show regularly as part of a routine, or "I love this celebrity/character so much that I made a shrine," and something about a joke like that can come off to me as more serious (deadly serious, like not a good thing to be this intense) than card-carrying pop culture pagans who actually set up some sort of actual shrine but might be like chill serious. Even though the one who said it as a joke might have done the same thing.

When you express it this way, the death of Lady Diana Spencer springs to mind. The people on the other side of the North Sea suddenly reacted in a spontaneous way, that would have canonized her into a Christian saint in the British middle ages (pre-congregation), and would have turned her into a lesser deity, had it happened in mediaeval China.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 09:54:28 pm »

I feel that, if I gave it free rein, pop culture would very naturally work its way into my practice. For instance: I was just listening to a favorite (male, incidentally) singer do , and my Inanna-cognate announced to me, "That's a love song of mine to the Dumuzi-cognate!"

I still haven't decided if I will give it free rein in helping me shape my practice.

I have begun to suspect, lately, that modern fandom is a strong echo of many ancient religions in the emotions it evokes in people. "Pop culture" may be the real "old-time religion."

(I jest. Sort of.)
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 02:07:46 pm »
Quote from: Jack;191380
there's almost always a flavor of pop culture in whatever I'm doing that's important, whether it's religious - Secret Vatican Demon Hunters influencing my Catholic mysticism, Saiyuki weighing on my Buddhism, or seeing Odin wearing, well, half a dozen fictional faces and counting - or other things, like the way I used to thread pop culture references into my college papers, or working a job where I'm actually expected to keep up on pop culture and literature.

Quote from: FraterBenedict;191397
When you express it this way, the death of Lady Diana Spencer springs to mind. The people on the other side of the North Sea suddenly reacted in a spontaneous way, that would have canonized her into a Christian saint in the British middle ages (pre-congregation), and would have turned her into a lesser deity, had it happened in mediaeval China.

Quote from: Eastling;191409
I have begun to suspect, lately, that modern fandom is a strong echo of many ancient religions in the emotions it evokes in people.

Makes sense to me: religion can be cultural, pop culture definitely is. There can be overlap in ways too organic to define without some metaphor involving boiled eggs (or not, that's already taken). And certainly there's some other influence that predispose us to some unspoken definition of religion, like I mentioned devotion, ecstasy and zealousness but the concept of religious fervor as opposed to custom isn't definitive. Organization might be another possible feature, or...I don't know. Cohesion?

So, I'd say that Terry Pratchett's Discworld series has been massively influential to my life philosophy (and I believe I did Borrowing one time or several) but I just personally feel that I'm not something or other enough about it, and that's fine, it's what it is. I'd also say that Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 has been massively influential to my life philosophy (and I believe I did create a superpower mask belonging to and active in some otherworldly altered consciousness, a couple of times) and I personally feel that I am something or other enough about it.

That has nothing to do with getting thwapped by (headcanon) Naoto and Kanji but never by Vimes or Granny. I found a neverthwapper deity in the Lady of Shalott, whose story I even enjoyed less on an entertainment level than other works that yet did not come to be part of my paganism. So, cohesiveness might be a thing?

(Also, possible copyright issues? Just throwing this out there, that Pop Culture Pagan source materials have copyright holders or even living creators who would often have made statements to clarify their specific creative vision...which I think grants a lot more clarity than appropriation versus cultural influence/exchange and UPG versus lore discussions concerning mythologies established without specific attribution. To borrow a term from Eastling, my entire Peter Pan theoin are cognates by now.)
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 07:29:30 am »
snipping for general reply

At first when I thought about religion and pop culture, I really couldn't think of anything relevant to me. It occurred reading this that I was trying to look for chunks of pop culture that were too large rather than things that influenced me, and shaped my belief/religion/whatever. I remember reading the Earthsea books and also getting interested in the concept of true names and it kinda clicked that these small things matter.

Doctor Who has also had a bit of an influence, particularly 9 with their sense of wonderment.

I think that there are more influences out there, but it is difficult to let go enough to see them. I fall into the problem of over policing myself for fear of making it up, working on that but it's slow going :P

My religion is always going to be influenced/moulded by my experiences as that's how I interact with the world. I see little difference in those influences being from people, historical research, or pop culture, all those little snippets get pinned to the board in my head to fill out the gaps.

(hoping this makes at least a bit of sense, brain is roughly goop at the moment)
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Tags: