Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Author Topic: A few words  (Read 3496 times)

the_raven

A few words
« on: May 18, 2016, 01:48:38 pm »
1) Why can't I just reply with the "Reply" button but instead have to reply with a quote? I mean, if I want to reply to a specific post, I already quote or adress my post accordingly...
2) Why does the site log me out after some inactivity? For instance, I have a habbit of writing long replies, and once I hit the "post" button, the site tells me I was logged out and all my text is then gone.
3) Say I want to start a new SIG (about Balkan religions for example), how can I do that?
4) Why must I always specify the reason I edit one of my posts? I mean, if I'm just correcting some grammar, why must I always specify it? Or if I don't want to explain my edits, I still won't write them in the 'reason' window, so what's the point?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: A few words...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 02:03:36 pm »
Quote from: the_raven;191278
1) Why can't I just reply with the "Reply" button but instead have to reply with a quote? I mean, if I want to reply to a specific post, I already quote or adress my post accordingly...

Quoting is a requirement here - it makes it much easier to follow long or complicated threads. When you quote, if you quote correctly (leaving the identifying post code in), it provides a link to the specific post you're replying to.

While you might quote most of the time anyway, long experience on the board has made it clear not everyone will (especially people new to the board) so the Reply function is disabled.

2) Why does the site log me out after some inactivity? For instance, I have a habbit of writing long replies, and once I hit the "post" button, the site tells me I was logged out and all my text is then gone.

This one should be something you can change on your end. (I could have sworn there was a setting in Settings that did this, but I am not finding it at the moment.) It may also be a matter of cookies on your end - if you are willing to post your computer operating system and browser you're using, people may have some additional advice.

3) Say I want to start a new SIG (about Balkan religions for example), how can I do that?

I'm sure Randall or Sunflower can speak better to this one, but generally SIGs need to have sufficient interest, as well as at least one SIG leader (and ideally more than one) who can keep conversation going, deal with particular concerns in the SIG, etc. That means they need to be posters who have an established history in the forum, have demonstrated they're comfortable with the way this particular forum works and rules, etc. as a starter.

In this case, though, we have a Baltic and Slavic Paganism SIG already, so take a look there? More posts would be welcome, I'm sure.

4) Why must I always specify the reason I edit one of my posts? I mean, if I'm just correcting some grammar, why must I always specify it? Or if I don't want to explain my edits, I still won't write them in the 'reason' window, so what's the point?

It's a rule because it makes it easier for staff and others to see what's been changed (and whether the change is substantive or not). On a lot of threads, it may not be a big deal, but we have had cases in the past of people adding substantial new comment (in a way that significantly changes the tone of their post), removing problematic content (which makes later posts in the thread make no sense and can lead to a lot of hard feelings in several directions), and so on. Since the forum is fairly active (and sometimes threads can move *very* quickly with several new posts inside of five or ten minutes) even a couple of minutes editing can make a big difference in who sees what.

Indicating what you've changed is simple courtesy to people taking time to read what you posted.

(It does not need to be a big long explanation: a "changed 2 typos, finished the missing half-sentence in paragraph 3" is enough, usually, to indicate the degree of change and where it is.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:07:02 pm by Jenett »
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

the_raven

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 02:40:24 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;191282
Quoting is a requirement here - it makes it much easier to follow long or complicated threads. When you quote, if you quote correctly (leaving the identifying post code in), it provides a link to the specific post you're replying to.

While you might quote most of the time anyway, long experience on the board has made it clear not everyone will (especially people new to the board) so the Reply function is disabled.

This one should be something you can change on your end. (I could have sworn there was a setting in Settings that did this, but I am not finding it at the moment.) It may also be a matter of cookies on your end - if you are willing to post your computer operating system and browser you're using, people may have some additional advice.

I'm sure Randall or Sunflower can speak better to this one, but generally SIGs need to have sufficient interest, as well as at least one SIG leader (and ideally more than one) who can keep conversation going, deal with particular concerns in the SIG, etc. That means they need to be posters who have an established history in the forum, have demonstrated they're comfortable with the way this particular forum works and rules, etc. as a starter.

In this case, though, we have a Baltic and Slavic Paganism SIG already, so take a look there? More posts would be welcome, I'm sure.

It's a rule because it makes it easier for staff and others to see what's been changed (and whether the change is substantive or not). On a lot of threads, it may not be a big deal, but we have had cases in the past of people adding substantial new comment (in a way that significantly changes the tone of their post), removing problematic content (which makes later posts in the thread make no sense and can lead to a lot of hard feelings in several directions), and so on. Since the forum is fairly active (and sometimes threads can move *very* quickly with several new posts inside of five or ten minutes) even a couple of minutes editing can make a big difference in who sees what.

Indicating what you've changed is simple courtesy to people taking time to read what you posted.

(It does not need to be a big long explanation: a "changed 2 typos, finished the missing half-sentence in paragraph 3" is enough, usually, to indicate the degree of change and where it is.)

Thanks for the reply.
1) Why not just remove the 'reply' button outright? I'm sure it can be done through coding or something.
2) I'm using Win7 Ultimate and the Firefox browser (though I think you'd need more than this to give me an actual suggestion :D:)
3) The Baltic and Slav SIG is not enough since eastern Europe is not just Slavs and Baltics, there are also some Tangrists (though not many, I guess; not in the European part of Russian and Turkey at least); researchers of Thracian/ Dacian and Illyrian mythologies; Greeks (found in a different SIG btw); and (if they count as Europeans) Georgian, Azeri, and Armenian mythologies as well (though pre-Islamic Azerbaijan was Zoroastrian). But yeah, there aren't many people of those backgrounds on here :(
4) I see.

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 02:50:03 pm »
Quote from: the_raven;191289

2) I'm using Win7 Ultimate and the Firefox browser (though I think you'd need more than this to give me an actual suggestion :D:)

Have you got "remember me" checked?  That might help; I'm on the same os and browser as you and I don't have the issue.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

the_raven

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:52:08 pm »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;191292
Have you got "remember me" checked?  That might help; I'm on the same os and browser as you and I don't have the issue.

I thought it was for the site to remember my login and password...I will try it, thanks for the suggestion! :)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 03:09:36 pm »
Quote from: the_raven;191289
Thanks for the reply.
1) Why not just remove the 'reply' button outright? I'm sure it can be done through coding or something.

If I remember correctly, removing it breaks other functionality in a way that isn't expected but is annoying and problematic.

(Bear in mind that making extensive changes to forum code may affect any number of other extensions, etc. Randall does an awesome job keeping this place running on the technical side, there's no reason to add to his workload when it's a matter of clicking one button rather than another.)

Try making sure that the 'remember me' button is checked when you log in, and test a couple of pages to make sure it recognises you as logged in once you do. Do you stay logged in when you leave the computer for a period of time even if you're not writing a response to a post? (You may need to do some testing to figure that out.)

In the meantime, a common solution for this kind of login problem is to save your post quickly (I just do it to a plain text editor usually, or drop it into an email window, just to save it until it goes through. I haven't had this particular problem on the Cauldron for years, but do occasionally on other sites, or when I'm working off another device, not a computer.)

3) The Baltic and Slav SIG is not enough since eastern Europe is not just Slavs and Baltics, there are also some Tangrists (though not many, I guess; not in the European part of Russian and Turkey at least); researchers of Thracian/ Dacian and Illyrian mythologies; Greeks (found in a different SIG btw); and (if they count as Europeans) Georgian, Azeri, and Armenian mythologies as well (though pre-Islamic Azerbaijan was Zoroastrian). But yeah, there aren't many people of those backgrounds on here

SIGs are not just 'many people of that background' - think of it more like 'enough conversations of that background *and* a topic where some additional context, rules, or focus may be helpful'.

So, for example, it turns out to be helpful for people in some paths or religions to have a space where a reconstructionist mindset is assumed, or that people are responding from that particular culture's context and background, rather than the more wide-ranging discussion elsewhere. Or where grouping threads together makes perspectives from people in those religions easier to browse.

But there are plenty of topics where that isn't as relevant for various reasons. (You will notice, for example, we don't have a SIG for Wiccans or religious witches, either, nor do we have one for Druidry.)  

In the examples you mention, posts might reasonably go in several different places (including the Baltic and Slavic SIG, but also a number of the general forums, depending.) If there got to be enough threads it made sense to group them, then someone could propose a SIG at that point, or explicitly expanding the definition of the current Baltic and Slavic SIG in some way that made sense.

4) I see.

As has been noted, it's a board rule, so following it is expected, whether or not you understand why it's required.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 06:28:30 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;191295
In the examples you mention, posts might reasonably go in several different places (including the Baltic and Slavic SIG, but also a number of the general forums, depending.) If there got to be enough threads it made sense to group them, then someone could propose a SIG at that point, or explicitly expanding the definition of the current Baltic and Slavic SIG in some way that made sense.

If that happens, I would suggest that Phrygian religion would be included under that umbrella, since the Phrygians, their language and their religion were related to the Dacian and Thracian ones.

Lydian religion would be a problem classification-wise, since it as originally clearly related to the Hittite one (which was influenced by the linguistically unrelated Hurrian religion) and the Lycian one, but after the immigration of the Phrygians, Lydian religion came under Phrygian influence. Classical sources place the worship of Cybele and Attis in both Phrygia and Lydia.

And if we return attention to the Dacians, they had Scythian neighbours. Modern Romania and Moldova extends over ancient Dacian and ancient Scythian territory. Scythian presence extended over modern Ukraine, southern Russia, most of Khazakstan, some other -stan, and western China.

Tags: