Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Saw a Ninja Turtle in my tea leaves (odd results from divination)  (Read 1986 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Last week, I saw a Ninja Turtle in my tea leaves. Needless to say, my how-to book did not list a meaning for this :) It was quite distinct, though: head, shell and an arm.

Has anyone else ever had any unusual images appear in a reading? How do you go about interpreting something like this?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Saw a Ninja Turtle in my tea leaves (odd results from divination)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:53:34 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;191143
Last week, I saw a Ninja Turtle in my tea leaves. Needless to say, my how-to book did not list a meaning for this :) It was quite distinct, though: head, shell and an arm.

Has anyone else ever had any unusual images appear in a reading? How do you go about interpreting something like this?

Well, obviously one has to start figuring out whether it's Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Donatello, or Raphael. ;)

I don't know from tea leaves, personally, but I'd personally approach it in terms of figuring out how I felt about the odd representation, or what its symbols signified to me.  (Which are basically two ways of approaching the same idea, in different modes - one instinctual/symbolic based, one rational/language based.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:51:42 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;191149
Well, obviously one has to start figuring out whether it's Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Donatello, or Raphael. ;)

I don't know from tea leaves, personally, but I'd personally approach it in terms of figuring out how I felt about the odd representation, or what its symbols signified to me.  (Which are basically two ways of approaching the same idea, in different modes - one instinctual/symbolic based, one rational/language based.)

Thus far I've been sticking to ... conventional? Prescribed? meanings as listed in books, partly as a way to reduce the possibility of only seeing what I want to see in readings. I'm still getting my method down; I spent a year just getting used to seeing images in the leaves without trying to assign meanings to them.

Even then, I haven't got any idea what a Ninja Turtle means to me. I was never any big fan, that was more my brother's thing. Only I'm pretty sure it wouldn't signify the same thing a plain old turtle.

Sometimes I wish there was a bilingual semiotic dictionary, with symbols listed by signifier in one half and signified in the other half. That would be so useful.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:28:23 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;191216
Even then, I haven't got any idea what a Ninja Turtle means to me. I was never any big fan, that was more my brother's thing. Only I'm pretty sure it wouldn't signify the same thing a plain old turtle.

I asked the Celt what he thought, and he said, "My Rohrschach answer is: Time to go get pizza!"  And then he noted that these things depend heavily on the person doing the reading anyway, and wandered off into nattering at divination theory in a not terribly coherent way.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 06:13:09 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;191232
I asked the Celt what he thought, and he said, "My Rohrschach answer is: Time to go get pizza!"  And then he noted that these things depend heavily on the person doing the reading anyway, and wandered off into nattering at divination theory in a not terribly coherent way.

Hmm ... in fact, I did attend a social event involving pizza this week *ponders*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 07:17:31 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;191216

My psychology-heavy side wants to ask; and how do you feel about your brother? Maybe the turtle was supposed to represent him for you? I don't have experience with these sorts of things, though. I've only looked at tarot.

(To the Mods: I am having trouble getting formatting right this morning, I really tried to quote; could you fix this for me if you see this? Thank you!)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 08:35:11 am by Jenett »
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:35:47 am »
Quote from: ViolaRae;191431

(To the Mods: I am having trouble getting formatting right this morning, I really tried to quote; could you fix this for me if you see this? Thank you!)

(Fixed. You wanted the end of the quote to be [/QUOTE] : you were missing the left bracket and /)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 06:21:26 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;191431
My psychology-heavy side wants to ask; and how do you feel about your brother? Maybe the turtle was supposed to represent him for you? I don't have experience with these sorts of things, though. I've only looked at tarot.

I doubt it - I read over my previous post again and my wording kind of made it sound as if my brother is a big fan of TMNT - he isn't, he was just somewhat more interested in it than I was at the time. It's a tenuous association at best.

I suppose Tarot (as well as runes) is somewhat different because there is a fixed set of symbols, so you're never going to get one that nobody's seen before.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 07:07:31 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;191486
I doubt it - I read over my previous post again and my wording kind of made it sound as if my brother is a big fan of TMNT - he isn't, he was just somewhat more interested in it than I was at the time. It's a tenuous association at best.

I suppose Tarot (as well as runes) is somewhat different because there is a fixed set of symbols, so you're never going to get one that nobody's seen before.

Apparently there is a new movie coming out soon. Maybe it was informing you of that, though why it would is beyond me.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 07:47:45 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;191143

Does the book(s) have a meaning for a plain old turtle? If so, that might be a place to start.

I had a friend who would always get strange symbols in dreams that were not in any dream book (one example I remember was giant vacuum tubes). Dream symbols and their meaning can be very personal, I suspect symbols in tea leaves are just as personal.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: