Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: From Atheism to accepting Polytheism, ideas, advice, experiences (?)  (Read 2947 times)

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: he, him, his
After a lot of reading going back through hundreds of posts I have learned an immense amount about Polytheism and Paganism in general. It has been an incredibly interesting and eye opening experience :eek: as this has been by far the closest I have ever delved into learning about any religions.

Up until fairly recently and for close to three decades (I'm 42 later this year) I have been strictly Atheist and if anything anti-religious. I have a scientific view of the world and the universe. This being said however I do believe in intelligent hauntings so therefore I must believe in the possibility of some kind of existence after death. Many religions seem to also have this view that life is just part of a longer existence or journey. That's about as close as I have become to religion. When i say anti-religious I am really only thinking about Christianity, Judaism, Islam etc the main stream religions.

Until recently I always believed that the old pre-Christian religions were consigned to history books and completely out of reach unless personally being a member of, for example, a Scottish family with deep old cultural knowledge and practice passed down through numerous generations. I've always been interested in the old pre-Christian beliefs and culture but only recently have I discovered they are in reach and practiced by far more people than I thought possible.

I have yet to decide whether following a religion is even for me, or if I am better off staying with my view of the Universe. So my questions are for now:

Can anyone relate to my current situation ?

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts or advice on becoming more accepting of Polytheism (specifically Celtic, Germanic, Gaellic Heathenry or Reconstructionism) in general ? How to allow ones self be more open to a totally new experience, more receptive of a spiritual, religious view of the Universe or at least this world ?

I would definitely like to try so any ideas would be helpful.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Quote from: Oskar;190959
I have yet to decide whether following a religion is even for me, or if I am better off staying with my view of the Universe. So my questions are for now:

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts or advice on becoming more accepting of Polytheism (specifically Celtic, Germanic, Gaellic Heathenry or Reconstructionism) in general ? How to allow ones self be more open to a totally new experience, more receptive of a spiritual, religious view of the Universe or at least this world ?

I can't give you too much advice, because learning to have faith is a very personal experience. For myself, I found that what it really took was a life change that made me feel more stable and less stressed out, freeing up my emotional energy to explore my faith.

(Well, that and moving to a state that legalized marijuana, but that's also personal.)

Being on the right medications also helps; I find that I doubt more and fail to connect to the divine when my depression isn't well-treated.

So, in short, I recommend first doing everything you can to get your life and the workings of your mind in order, so that you have a stable foundation to explore from.

As a side note, I'd also recommend shedding the preconception that (neo)pagan polytheism is inherently different than mainstream or monotheist faiths in some moral way. All religion has failure states and successes alike; it depends on how thoughtful you are in implementing it. For myself, my pagan reachings are strongly influenced by my Jewish upbringing.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

the_raven

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts or advice on becoming more accepting of Polytheism in general? How to allow ones self be more open to a totally new experience, more receptive of a spiritual, religious view of the Universe or at least this world?

Aye, I know what you mean. I come from a country that was part of the USSR where they had state atheism. The funny thing was that while religions were officially proclaimed as the people's opium, and churches were closed down, destroyed, or repurposed, people were still allowed to worship in private (many people had icons, crosses, and so on in their homes, some churches would still function even), so once the Union collapsed, the churches returned en force. My country, for example, has ~94% of its population as declared christians of various denominations.

My parents, being intellectuals (father is a philosopher and a political scientist; mother is a doctor) educated me to be a decent person, and never took me to church (though they still baptised me when I was a kid, it's more of a cultural thing than an actually religions one). As a scientist (and as a person born in the USSR), my dad used to be an atheist, but later he figured that there must be something out there, some kind of entity that created the universe, after all, the Big Bang did not come from nothing, even those particles had to appear from somewhere, right? He respects the church as being an institution that could survive for so long, but does not agree with their interpretation or practices. My mother, on the other hand, is a positivist agnostic, I think. She claims not to know if there is a god, but still goes to church when strange stuff happens. As for me, I never could understand why people bowed to icons, kissed crosses, etc. Sure, as I kid I was afraid of monsters, and I hoped there's some power that'll protect me from them (because even as a kid, I could understand that should aliens or terminators come, my parents won't be able to protect me despite their best efforts), but I never really prayed as one prays.

In primary school, I was getting fed up with religious education (it was called Moral and Spritual Education, we had one lesson a week, had to pray, had to listen to a priest lecturing us, etc.). In middle school, I grew to hate religions because I veiwed them as stupid and useless (another reason was because my classmates - whom I hated, and who hated me - were all delcared christians, so it was also a way of getting to them). I started reading about occultism, then I got curious about satanism (not that much though), then I started reading Nietzsche. All this gave me context, and an 'intellectual' explanation as to why religions are bad. Additionally, I was watching all those fancy american movies like Constantine and Supernatural that made kicks at christianity. Oh, did I mention that at school, we were subconciously taught to hate muslims? Studying history and literature we read a lot about the 'evil' Ottomans...well, maybe it's just me, I'm somewhat impressionable. But while I did imagine the muslims to be evil, I still understood that they were just people, and therefore could be reasoned with, still had feelings, etc., so I didn't hate them.

After school, I went to univeristy to study political science, and there I understood that religions were less about mysticism and more about control over people (yeah, I didn't read all that much Nietzsche after all), but at the same time, I was always interested in people's cultures, and thus I saw christianity and islam as just sects of judaism that have supressed the local religions of peoples, thereby altering their cultures. To me, religion is a cultural product, not a mystical one.

Note: I have nothing against Jews, I like and respect them, but I think that if one should believe in a deity, that deity should be local, not an imported off-shot of the some other culture's (Jewish, in this case) deity.

So I started researching the pre-christan faith of my people. While my country was already founded christian, it's ancestors were not. Our people come from the Thracians, Scythians, Greeks, Goths, Slavs, etc., none of which were originally christian, and since the Thracians and Scythians were among the first to inhabit the region, I figured I'd go with their beliefs. The info is scarse, and a lot of it is made up (the main reason why most, if not all reconstruction religions are syncretic), so it's not easy. The main reason why I'm doing it is because I can relate to it, and because I want to re-educate my people to respect themselves. I think religions should come naturally to people, not through dogma.

Note: Yes, I'm aware the whole "re-educate to respect yourself" sounds nazi, and I don't want it to become that way. This is why everything needs to be taken into consideration, so that while it's an ethnic religion, it doesn't promote ethnic elitism.

So to answer your question about how to accept polyteism, I can say - try to find something you yourself can relate to. In my case, it's the Thracian faith.
Not all religions come into opposition with science as well! The catholic Saint Augustine (who was a priest and a scientist in life), for example, considered the two should walk together.
In the end, faith is less about this world, and more about the other one; about giving hope to the weak, foolish, and desperate; about answering the questions that science cannot yet answer; and about making people behave if they're too dumb to understand the law.

As to your question about new experiences. Well, all you need to do is just take a step towards forward, and opportunities will reveal themselves. That is to say, depending on how far you're willing to go trying new things. For example, some faiths practice the use of psychotropic substances like poisonous mushrooms, berries, etc., while others only use wine; some consider sexual acts important, others don't; and so on, and so forth. Music, scents, scenery, lighting, and how charismatic the priest are, are also important aspects of 'enjoying' a religion and increasing one's level of faith. Oh yeah, and there's the herd instinct also - the more people during mass say they spoke to god, the more people're gonna relate/ believe them, and by extension, the priest.

All in all, find yourself a religion/ faith that interest you, learn about its practices and details (like what type of incense they use, if any), and try 'em out. Just try to keep an open mind while you're at it.

Oh yeah, and try to avoid those destructive cults.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:06:55 am by the_raven »

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she

Two questions, which are actually kind of the same question:

What do you think your issues with acceptance are?

Do you read poetry?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: the_raven;190977
religions were officially proclaimed as the people's opium

I just had to comment on this, because I'm always amused by this paraphrase, as this statement to me could actually be taken two ways. Yes, opioids used improperly can dull the senses and stunt the act of reason. But they, like religion, can also be used to ease those who are suffering and make tolerable those pains that would otherwise be unbearable. Marx and Lenin argued against religion because they saw it as a tool for furthering social inequality, but that doesn't mean that the tool can serve no other purposes.

I can definitely sympathize with you, Oskar, because I come from a heavily scientific background myself. Being in nursing school we're really big on evidence-based practice: if you can't prove it with numbers and data, it may as well not even exist. But there's a dichotomy there where there are certain things that we deal with that we know there can never be direct evidence or quantifying; subjective things such as pain or nausea. There may be confounding factors, such as moaning or sweating, but not always. Even though a client of ours can never actually "prove" they're in pain, we treat it anyway.

Religious experience is the same way. I've had experiences that profoundly affected me, a sense of interconnectedness with creation I can't even begin to describe. This experience, like pain, is something that anyone else who has ever had can identify with immediately, but we know there's no way to measure or quantify it so we just accept it as it is.

One of my favorite movies deals with this point: the 1997 film Contact based on a screenplay by Carl Sagan. I won't ruin it for you, but I do recommend it. :)

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
When i say anti-religious I am really only thinking about Christianity, Judaism, Islam etc the main stream religions.

None of them are internally homogenous. Some authors from these religions might be valuable reading even for some Pagans, at least those who practice magic, for instance: Sefer Yetzirah and Joseph Gikatilla's Gates of Light (Jewish), Marsilio Ficino's Book of Life, Agrippa's Three Books on Occult Philosophy and the works of Jakob Böhme (Christian), and the poems by Jalaluddin Rumi and the works of Mulla Sadra (Moslem).

I have yet to decide whether following a religion is even for me, or if I am better off staying with my view of the Universe.

Do you really have to chose? Why not staying with your view of the Universe and follow a religion that is for you? It will perhaps change the way you relate to the Universe, but that is another thing, isn't it?

How to allow ones self be more open to a totally new experience, more receptive of a spiritual, religious view of the Universe or at least this world ?

A very basic exercise, which can be practiced by persons of any religion and none, is to meditate without any mental object, using breathing as a reminder of letting-go, but do not force mental content away - acknowledge that a mental content has arisen until it goes away without effort, and then return your focus on your breathing. Sit on a zafu, a meditation bench or a chair with a straight back and forward-leaning thin meditation cushion. The ideal position for the spine minimize any sway-back, and makes breathing easy. This exercise is a good preparation for or conclusion of many other practices. A short warning: Persons with unresolved bad memories might in some cases have to face this personal luggage, and that process is not always pleasant. Deep meditation is not always pleasant. Sometimes it takes effort to just sit, but that is just a phase, as everything else. Wait and see, and it will become better.

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts or advice on becoming more accepting of Polytheism (specifically Celtic, Germanic, Gaellic Heathenry or Reconstructionism) in general ?

In Germanic religion, specifically the Norse version of it, the beginning of the Winter half of the year (end of October), the middle of the Winter half-year (end of January), the beginning of the Summer half of the year (end of April) and the middle of the Summer half-year (end of July) were acknowledged with ceremonial drinking and - in three of these cases - sacrifices. This was a concern for the entire society, and not primarily for the individual. The most domestic and private of these four celebrations was the Elves blót in late October.

In Irish religion (but keep in mind that the descriptions of these festivals were written half a millennium after the conversion to Christianity) four times of the year were celebrated: Early November (Samhain), early February (Imbolc), early May (Beltene, but I am not sure of the spelling of it) and early August (Lughnasadh).

To participate in a religious rite is not the same thing as sharing the same world-view as other participants. Pre-Christian Pagans had many different views on their own religion. Some ancient Romans were not very far from an Agnostic worldview, but anyhow insisted on the continuation of religious customs inherited from the ancestors, as a show of Romanitas ('romanhood'), a cultivation of politeness and respect for the ancestors themselves. The Egyptian priest Chaeremon of Alexandria viewed the Egyptian gods as personifications of natural phenomena.

It is not necessary for Pagans (old or modern) to behave as the polytheistic equivalents to Evangelical/Charismatic Christians. Most of the time, Pagan rites does not go emotional (they might sometimes, but that does also depend on personal disposition). Most of the time, deities does not practice micro-management, and I would anyhow treat with suspicion anyone who claims to have been commanded to perform something mundane (become a used car salesman!) or harm-inflicting (donate all your money to Preacher Bob/High Priestess Lady Pixie Wolfbroom/Guru Mahabrahmasanghaputra Smith!) on explicit order by (hereby insert the term applicable: Holy Spirit/Virgin Mary/The Goddess/Isis/O∂in/Loki/Master Hilarion/le Roi du monde/telepathic space dolphins/The Flying Spaghetti Monster).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 02:20:25 pm by RecycledBenedict »

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile

I have yet to decide whether following a religion is even for me, or if I am better off staying with my view of the Universe.

The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive propositions.

To an extent at least, although I'm an occultist not a Pagan and not religious per se. But I was an atheist for quite some time.  Although I've only shifted to hard agnosticism, which arguably isn't that much of a jump.

Well, you've already said you believe in hauntings.  You may well also believe in some philosophical concepts like love, truth or justice.  So your worldview already accepts that some things exist outside the realm of the scientific method.

With that in mind, at the moment I wouldn't concentrate on trying to decide whether deities exist.  Merely try and work out whether you think they could exist. Which ever way you end up going, it may be enlightening and help examine your own views further.

If I may answer your questions with some of my own, what are you looking for from Paganism? What do you hope to get out of it?

As I touched on above, it's entirely possible to be a Pagan and an atheist at the same time. Sure, it will preclude some paths.  I came to the conclusion long ago that I can't have the same relationship with a deity that the polytheists on here can have and any practise involving genuine heartfelt worship is right out for me.

But it certainly doesn't preclude Paganism.

If you're mostly used to monotheistic religions, it's worth highlighting a major difference between them and Paganism. Paganism is not exclusionary.  While people on here follow a wide variety of paths and sometimes disagree with each other, I'm comfortable saying that the vast majority of us would agree that their path is not the right one for everyone.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noctua;190988
I just had to comment on this, because I'm always amused by this paraphrase, as this statement to me could actually be taken two ways. Yes, opioids used improperly can dull the senses and stunt the act of reason. But they, like religion, can also be used to ease those who are suffering and make tolerable those pains that would otherwise be unbearable. Marx and Lenin argued against religion because they saw it as a tool for furthering social inequality, but that doesn't mean that the tool can serve no other purposes.

It's also worth noting that while Marx was against religion, the original argument was way more nuanced than people often realise when it's shortened. A longer version of it to give a bit more context:

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She

I was brought up evangelical Christian, spent years as an agnostic, and am now discovering panentheism/pantheism (not sure at the moment.)

I had a hard time with polytheism, too. I have come to a point where I understand the gods in  an archetypal way. To me, they are entities that represent their proscribed characteristics in the greater universe and in ourselves. To my understanding, this is called soft polytheism, as I do not literally believe that there are anthropomorphic beings. There are people who do (much respect to you all!) but I do not. Perhaps this is a way for you to view the gods, as well?

Additionally, as has been mentioned in this thread, there is no need to be a polytheist or even have a specific religion to be a pagan. There are atheist pagans that practice witchcraft, pagans who venerate their ancestors, pagans who worship the universe as a whole, pagans who worship the earth itself...there are many ways to be pagan! To me, it's about discovering what  you truly believe, then finding a way to describe that.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: Eastling;190964
I can't give you too much advice, because learning to have faith is a very personal experience. For myself, I found that what it really took was a life change that made me feel more stable and less stressed out, freeing up my emotional energy to explore my faith.

(Well, that and moving to a state that legalized marijuana, but that's also personal.)

Being on the right medications also helps; I find that I doubt more and fail to connect to the divine when my depression isn't well-treated.

So, in short, I recommend first doing everything you can to get your life and the workings of your mind in order, so that you have a stable foundation to explore from.

As a side note, I'd also recommend shedding the preconception that (neo)pagan polytheism is inherently different than mainstream or monotheist faiths in some moral way. All religion has failure states and successes alike; it depends on how thoughtful you are in implementing it. For myself, my pagan reachings are strongly influenced by my Jewish upbringing.

I certainly agree that learning to have any faith is a very personal experience. A stable foundation is something I had not considered even though, on reflecting, it is very obvious. Although I suffer from Bipolar Disorder I have successfully transitioned onto a completely new medication regime 2 years ago which I am very comfortable with and I feel so much better for it. I don't think I will ever consider myself as stable as someone with no trace of mental illness but these days I feel like a different person compared to the very long time I spent going nowhere emotionally. Before I would not have considered trying to grow spiritually and exploring another path in life. Now I have the energy and a far healthier state of mind.

I do not think that the main stream religions are inherently different morally, I have just never wanted to be a part of them, they hold little or no interest to me and I would never consider following them.

Quote from: the_raven;190977
Aye, I know what you mean. I come from a country that was part of the USSR where they had state atheism. The funny thing was that while religions were officially proclaimed as the people's opium, and churches were closed down, destroyed, or repurposed, people were still allowed to worship in private (many people had icons, crosses, and so on in their homes, some churches would still function even), so once the Union collapsed, the churches returned en force. My country, for example, has ~94% of its population as declared christians of various denominations.

My parents, being intellectuals (father is a philosopher and a political scientist; mother is a doctor) educated me to be a decent person, and never took me to church (though they still baptised me when I was a kid, it's more of a cultural thing than an actually religions one). As a scientist (and as a person born in the USSR), my dad used to be an atheist, but later he figured that there must be something out there, some kind of entity that created the universe, after all, the Big Bang did not come from nothing, even those particles had to appear from somewhere, right? He respects the church as being an institution that could survive for so long, but does not agree with their interpretation or practices. My mother, on the other hand, is a positivist agnostic, I think. She claims not to know if there is a god, but still goes to church when strange stuff happens. As for me, I never could understand why people bowed to icons, kissed crosses, etc. Sure, as I kid I was afraid of monsters, and I hoped there's some power that'll protect me from them (because even as a kid, I could understand that should aliens or terminators come, my parents won't be able to protect me despite their best efforts), but I never really prayed as one prays.

In primary school, I was getting fed up with religious education (it was called Moral and Spritual Education, we had one lesson a week, had to pray, had to listen to a priest lecturing us, etc.). In middle school, I grew to hate religions because I veiwed them as stupid and useless (another reason was because my classmates - whom I hated, and who hated me - were all delcared christians, so it was also a way of getting to them). I started reading about occultism, then I got curious about satanism (not that much though), then I started reading Nietzsche. All this gave me context, and an 'intellectual' explanation as to why religions are bad. Additionally, I was watching all those fancy american movies like Constantine and Supernatural that made kicks at christianity. Oh, did I mention that at school, we were subconciously taught to hate muslims? Studying history and literature we read a lot about the 'evil' Ottomans...well, maybe it's just me, I'm somewhat impressionable. But while I did imagine the muslims to be evil, I still understood that they were just people, and therefore could be reasoned with, still had feelings, etc., so I didn't hate them.

After school, I went to univeristy to study political science, and there I understood that religions were less about mysticism and more about control over people (yeah, I didn't read all that much Nietzsche after all), but at the same time, I was always interested in people's cultures, and thus I saw christianity and islam as just sects of judaism that have supressed the local religions of peoples, thereby altering their cultures. To me, religion is a cultural product, not a mystical one.

Note: I have nothing against Jews, I like and respect them, but I think that if one should believe in a deity, that deity should be local, not an imported off-shot of the some other culture's (Jewish, in this case) deity.

So I started researching the pre-christan faith of my people. While my country was already founded christian, it's ancestors were not. Our people come from the Thracians, Scythians, Greeks, Goths, Slavs, etc., none of which were originally christian, and since the Thracians and Scythians were among the first to inhabit the region, I figured I'd go with their beliefs. The info is scarse, and a lot of it is made up (the main reason why most, if not all reconstruction religions are syncretic), so it's not easy. The main reason why I'm doing it is because I can relate to it, and because I want to re-educate my people to respect themselves. I think religions should come naturally to people, not through dogma.

Note: Yes, I'm aware the whole "re-educate to respect yourself" sounds nazi, and I don't want it to become that way. This is why everything needs to be taken into consideration, so that while it's an ethnic religion, it doesn't promote ethnic elitism.

So to answer your question about how to accept polyteism, I can say - try to find something you yourself can relate to. In my case, it's the Thracian faith.
Not all religions come into opposition with science as well! The catholic Saint Augustine (who was a priest and a scientist in life), for example, considered the two should walk together.
In the end, faith is less about this world, and more about the other one; about giving hope to the weak, foolish, and desperate; about answering the questions that science cannot yet answer; and about making people behave if they're too dumb to understand the law.

As to your question about new experiences. Well, all you need to do is just take a step towards forward, and opportunities will reveal themselves. That is to say, depending on how far you're willing to go trying new things. For example, some faiths practice the use of psychotropic substances like poisonous mushrooms, berries, etc., while others only use wine; some consider sexual acts important, others don't; and so on, and so forth. Music, scents, scenery, lighting, and how charismatic the priest are, are also important aspects of 'enjoying' a religion and increasing one's level of faith. Oh yeah, and there's the herd instinct also - the more people during mass say they spoke to god, the more people're gonna relate/ believe them, and by extension, the priest.

All in all, find yourself a religion/ faith that interest you, learn about its practices and details (like what type of incense they use, if any), and try 'em out. Just try to keep an open mind while you're at it.

Oh yeah, and try to avoid those destructive cults.

That was a very interesting life experience you have had, thank you for sharing ! I think the State Atheism may have corresponded to my beliefs if I were in that situation but I do believe that everyone has a right to follow their own path as long as it does not have a detrimental affect on others. My Father is Christian (although I have not been baptised)but he does have a much wider view of the Universe than a devout follower. He does not go to church regularly, or pray daily etc, just the occasional Christmas service and even then it may be a church in another town or city. Its good that you formed your own view of Muslims despite being subconsciously taught to hate them, I'm a strong believer in forming your own opinions, your own view of the world despite your surroundings.

I can relate to the Pagan religions which I have chosen to focus on. Their closeness to nature is very appealing and I see nothing, from what I have read about them so far, which I disagree with or find objectionable. Taking a step forward sounds like good advice, when the moment feels right and my mind is clear I will take that step and see where it leads me, trying to keep an open mind. Destructive cults are definitely off the menu !

Quote from: Darkhawk;190984
Two questions, which are actually kind of the same question:

What do you think your issues with acceptance are?

Do you read poetry?

My issues with acceptance. Its hard to define exactly, I guess its that I have always rejected the notion of the existence of a single all powerful eternal entity who is responsible for creating life on Earth. I believe in evolution, science, things which are provable, measurable, observable in a laboratory. But I cannot ignore the fact that some things do not fall into this scientific view, that there is an immense range of things the human race has not yet discovered, that there are coincidences in nature that cannot be explained. I need to allow that part of my view of things to expand and be explored.

I read poetry in high school as part of my studies and did find a few of the Authors quite interesting especially John Foulcher (an imagist), others made no impression on me. I have not read poetry since then.  

Quote from: Noctua;190988

I can definitely sympathize with you, Oskar, because I come from a heavily scientific background myself. Being in nursing school we're really big on evidence-based practice: if you can't prove it with numbers and data, it may as well not even exist. But there's a dichotomy there where there are certain things that we deal with that we know there can never be direct evidence or quantifying; subjective things such as pain or nausea. There may be confounding factors, such as moaning or sweating, but not always. Even though a client of ours can never actually "prove" they're in pain, we treat it anyway.

Religious experience is the same way. I've had experiences that profoundly affected me, a sense of interconnectedness with creation I can't even begin to describe. This experience, like pain, is something that anyone else who has ever had can identify with immediately, but we know there's no way to measure or quantify it so we just accept it as it is.

One of my favorite movies deals with this point: the 1997 film Contact based on a screenplay by Carl Sagan. I won't ruin it for you, but I do recommend it. :)

I like your view of pain, I've never thought of it that way. Its something that exists but it cannot be measured or quantified and if the pain or anguish is mental then people have far more trouble relating to or understanding it. Or even believing in it.

Contact is a great movie which I have seen, although some time ago. I think I'll watch it again when I get the chance and maybe have a better understanding of it this time. Your post made me think of an experience I had a long time ago which I found profound and have queries about but I'll make a separate thread about that so this one doesn't get too side tracked !

Quote from: FraterBenedict;190991
Do you really have to chose? Why not staying with your view of the Universe and follow a religion that is for you? It will perhaps change the way you relate to the Universe, but that is another thing, isn't it?

A very basic exercise, which can be practiced by persons of any religion and none, is to meditate without any mental object, using breathing as a reminder of letting-go, but do not force mental content away - acknowledge that a mental content has arisen until it goes away without effort, and then return your focus on your breathing. Sit on a zafu, a meditation bench or a chair with a straight back and forward-leaning thin meditation cushion. The ideal position for the spine minimize any sway-back, and makes breathing easy. This exercise is a good preparation for or conclusion of many other practices. A short warning: Persons with unresolved bad memories might in some cases have to face this personal luggage, and that process is not always pleasant. Deep meditation is not always pleasant. Sometimes it takes effort to just sit, but that is just a phase, as everything else. Wait and see, and it will become better.

In Germanic religion, specifically the Norse version of it, the beginning of the Winter half of the year (end of October), the middle of the Winter half-year (end of January), the beginning of the Summer half of the year (end of April) and the middle of the Summer half-year (end of July) were acknowledged with ceremonial drinking and - in three of these cases - sacrifices. This was a concern for the entire society, and not primarily for the individual. The most domestic and private of these four celebrations was the Elves blót in late October.

In Irish religion (but keep in mind that the descriptions of these festivals were written half a millennium after the conversion to Christianity) four times of the year were celebrated: Early November (Samhain), early February (Imbolc), early May (Beltene, but I am not sure of the spelling of it) and early August (Lughnasadh).

To participate in a religious rite is not the same thing as sharing the same world-view as other participants. Pre-Christian Pagans had many different views on their own religion. Some ancient Romans were not very far from an Agnostic worldview, but anyhow insisted on the continuation of religious customs inherited from the ancestors, as a show of Romanitas ('romanhood'), a cultivation of politeness and respect for the ancestors themselves. The Egyptian priest Chaeremon of Alexandria viewed the Egyptian gods as personifications of natural phenomena.

It is not necessary for Pagans (old or modern) to behave as the polytheistic equivalents to Evangelical/Charismatic Christians. Most of the time, Pagan rites does not go emotional (they might sometimes, but that does also depend on personal disposition). Most of the time, deities does not practice micro-management, and I would anyhow treat with suspicion anyone who claims to have been commanded to perform something mundane (become a used car salesman!) or harm-inflicting (donate all your money to Preacher Bob/High Priestess Lady Pixie Wolfbroom/Guru Mahabrahmasanghaputra Smith!) on explicit order by (hereby insert the term applicable: Holy Spirit/Virgin Mary/The Goddess/Isis/O∂in/Loki/Master Hilarion/le Roi du monde/telepathic space dolphins/The Flying Spaghetti Monster).

Staying with my view of the Universe and following a Religion is another thing but not something totally out of the realms of possibility if the two are combined, changing the way I relate to the Universe.

Thanks for the tips on meditation, its something I will explore preferably in a natural setting as the street I live on can be quite busy and distracting !

Viewing Gods as personifications of natural phenomena is something else I have read briefly about and will certainly explore further.

Quote from: Jabberwocky;191002

Well, you've already said you believe in hauntings.  You may well also believe in some philosophical concepts like love, truth or justice.  So your worldview already accepts that some things exist outside the realm of the scientific method.

With that in mind, at the moment I wouldn't concentrate on trying to decide whether deities exist.  Merely try and work out whether you think they could exist. Which ever way you end up going, it may be enlightening and help examine your own views further.

If I may answer your questions with some of my own, what are you looking for from Paganism? What do you hope to get out of it?

As I touched on above, it's entirely possible to be a Pagan and an atheist at the same time. Sure, it will preclude some paths.  I came to the conclusion long ago that I can't have the same relationship with a deity that the polytheists on here can have and any practise involving genuine heartfelt worship is right out for me.

But it certainly doesn't preclude Paganism.

If you're mostly used to monotheistic religions, it's worth highlighting a major difference between them and Paganism. Paganism is not exclusionary.  While people on here follow a wide variety of paths and sometimes disagree with each other, I'm comfortable saying that the vast majority of us would agree that their path is not the right one for everyone.

I do believe in love, truth and justice so yes the more I think about it the more things I do find that I believe in which are not measurable and provable. Thinking about whether deities could exist instead of the black and white "do they exist" is an approach which I had not thought of but can work with !

Some things I am looking for from Paganism :

- A feeling of being closer to and more in tune with the natural world
- Knowing that I am practicing a religion with some relation to the traditions of my ancient ancestors
- Strength
- Direction
- Balance
- Completeness
- A sense of being part of a larger Universe
- A sense of being part of a unique community of people around the world who practice something I can relate to, something I feel far more drawn to than main stream religions.

I find the concept of being Pagan and Atheist at the same time interesting but I don't think its the right thing for me, at least at the moment. I would like a more Polytheist belief at some level which may help explain many things which cannot be quantified. At the same time I may not graduate exclusively to deep heartfelt worship but maybe something in between. Its really hard to say right now though.

Paganism being not exclusionary can only be a good thing !

Quote from: ViolaRae;191012
I was brought up evangelical Christian, spent years as an agnostic, and am now discovering panentheism/pantheism (not sure at the moment.)

I had a hard time with polytheism, too. I have come to a point where I understand the gods in  an archetypal way. To me, they are entities that represent their proscribed characteristics in the greater universe and in ourselves. To my understanding, this is called soft polytheism, as I do not literally believe that there are anthropomorphic beings. There are people who do (much respect to you all!) but I do not. Perhaps this is a way for you to view the gods, as well?

Additionally, as has been mentioned in this thread, there is no need to be a polytheist or even have a specific religion to be a pagan. There are atheist pagans that practice witchcraft, pagans who venerate their ancestors, pagans who worship the universe as a whole, pagans who worship the earth itself...there are many ways to be pagan! To me, it's about discovering what  you truly believe, then finding a way to describe that.

Paganism as a term then is much broader than I originally believed. There's hope for me yet :) But seriously I may come to such a conclusion with my beliefs, a softer view of Polytheism, its still too early to say. Venerating my ancestors and worshiping the Earth itself and/or the Universe as a whole is appealing. I find the various Gods and Deities very interesting though and not an aspect I wish to exclude at this point.

Thank you everyone for your advice, its been great to have a variety of opinions and more information to help me on this journey ! Please add to this thread if my responses have generated more questions or advice though.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
Re: From Atheism to accepting Polytheism, ideas, advice, experiences (?)
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 03:17:48 pm »
Quote from: Oskar;191081
My Father is Christian (although I have not been baptised)but he does have a much wider view of the Universe than a devout follower.

Devout Christianity in no way requires a narrow view of the universe.  I know that it is a popular belief among some atheists that it does, specifically those who appear to have adopted a fundamentalist-evangelical perspective on Christianity: that the only real Christians (and often, the only real religious people) are fundamendalist-evangelicals.

My issues with acceptance. Its hard to define exactly, I guess its that I have always rejected the notion of the existence of a single all powerful eternal entity who is responsible for creating life on Earth.

Which does not exist in many religions, so you're fine there.

I believe in evolution, science, things which are provable, measurable, observable in a laboratory.

It is worth keeping in mind that none of this has any bearing on religion.  Literally none of it.  None of it even requires belief; facts just are.  (Though, unfortunately, in the current political environment in some places, a lot of people seem to be trying to apply disbelief to facts.)

This is actually why I asked about poetry.  Religion has far more in common with poetry than it does science.  You wouldn't expect a lab to produce poetry, or poetry to be analysable in the lab.  And poetry can convey things that are very important to people, and which are not facts.

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." - Neils Bohr

The lab cares about correct statements.  Religion - and poetry - deal in profound truths.  And, y'know, minor petty truths.

I do believe in love, truth and justice so yes the more I think about it the more things I do find that I believe in which are not measurable and provable. Thinking about whether deities could exist instead of the black and white "do they exist" is an approach which I had not thought of but can work with !

Exactly.  Love, truth, and justice are subjects that have a lot to do with what things mean.  A lab can't produce meaning - meaning is something that happens in a human (or other thinking entity) mind.

And religions are codified systems of meaning, things that are supposed to generate tools to sort through all of the stuff in the universe and start addressing the question, "What does that mean?"  Because it doesn't mean anything before the interpretation, it just is.  What does it mean, what are the narratives that we can use to get through this, what are the stories we tell ourselves about how we live in the world.

I had a theological conversation with my oldest kid recently, and I said to her, "Gods are stories that are alive."  Start with the stories, and look for meanings: what do they tell you about the world, about ways that people have looked at the world, at the ways people have relationships with the world?

My father has this fascinating habit of looking at the metaphors and turning them around.  There's the common Christian image of the church as the bride of Christ, and how this is supposed to explain human relationship with that god; he turns it around and asks, "What does the relationship with God that this church promotes say about its ideal marriage?"  Take the metaphors, play with them.  Develop relationships with systems.

I think it's worth keeping an experimental attitude towards religion, for all that it's not Factually Determinable In The Lab.  Try things out; see what they change, see what works.  Occasionally run the thought experiment, "What if I'm totally wrong about this, what does that do?"  Test things.  Explore.

I spent years finding that every pagan ritual I tried made me feel goofy.  Then I did something that made me feel comfortable, at peace, real, substantial.  That's where I wound up staying, because I tested a thing, not expecting it to work by that point, and found something that was functional, meaningful to me, that worked.  Would it work for other people?  Obviously not; after all, other people clearly found substance and meaning in stuff that left me feeling like a total dork.  But that doesn't matter; meaning exists inside heads, and the meanings that matter to me are the ones in mine.
we rise and fall

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 12:02:24 am »
Quote from: Oskar;191081

A Reminder:
Hi, Oskar,

Just a quick note with some tips on constructing replies.

We strongly prefer that people trim their quotes to the minimum necessary for their reply to make sense, especially when the post they're quoting is very long. Take care, when you're doing this, to leave the quote code - the stuff in the square brackets at the beginning and end of the quote - intact, since that's what ensures that there's a link-back to the post you're responding to. That link-back (which makes conversations easier to follow), rather than the text of the quote, is why we are so stringent about requiring quoting; you can even remove all the text of the quote, as I did above, though if you do that you need to make sure the opening and closing quote code are on different lines, or the quote will vanish. (More info in our quoting guidelines).

Also, while multiquoting and responding to several different posts in a single reply, as you've done here, is permissible, we prefer that you try to reserve that for times when your responses to the posts are so closely related that it's hard to disentangle them into separate replies. Otherwise, it's preferable to make a separate response to each post you're replying to - unlike many forums, we have no objections to, or rules forbidding, so-called 'doubleposting', and in fact we encourage it in most cases.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 04:27:39 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;191084
I think it's worth keeping an experimental attitude towards religion, for all that it's not Factually Determinable In The Lab.  Try things out; see what they change, see what works.  Occasionally run the thought experiment, "What if I'm totally wrong about this, what does that do?"  Test things.  Explore.

I spent years finding that every pagan ritual I tried made me feel goofy.  Then I did something that made me feel comfortable, at peace, real, substantial.  That's where I wound up staying, because I tested a thing, not expecting it to work by that point, and found something that was functional, meaningful to me, that worked.  Would it work for other people?  Obviously not; after all, other people clearly found substance and meaning in stuff that left me feeling like a total dork.  But that doesn't matter; meaning exists inside heads, and the meanings that matter to me are the ones in mine.

I'm moving close to trying things out and testing things, which I am looking forward to. And yes I will be keeping an experimental mind set for some time no doubt until I find what works for me. I'm certainly not expecting any direct undeniable communication for a long while from a Deity or God / Goddess, I think I would be quite taken aback if that occurred any time soon. It may never occur but I know that there are other ways Pagan people relate to their beliefs and practice their religion.

I see why you asked about believing in love, truth and justice. I will hold meaning in high regard when deciding if something is working for me.

It would be nice to have that Eureka moment when something feels totally right and works but of course it may not be that simple. I will also keep in mind that it may be a long process and to not grasp hold of and follow the first thing that feels half right to the exclusion of trying other paths.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:28:22 am by Oskar »

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 04:03:46 pm »
Quote from: Oskar;191117
I'm certainly not expecting any direct undeniable communication for a long while from a Deity or God / Goddess, I think I would be quite taken aback if that occurred any time soon.

Also:  basically, there's no such thing.

A vision in a dream?  Could be a perfectly ordinary dream.  Mediums could be raving, or lying, or cold readers.  A voice in your head or a visual appearance could be a hallucination.  An odd string of coincidences could just be an odd string of coincidences.  There is absolutely no way of knowing.  (Which means I find worrying about it to be a total waste of time and energy, personally.  This thread has some of the tools I use for evaluating these sorts of things, and some related discussion.)

It would be nice to have that Eureka moment when something feels totally right and works but of course it may not be that simple. I will also keep in mind that it may be a long process and to not grasp hold of and follow the first thing that feels half right to the exclusion of trying other paths.

I think it was nearly ten years from when I first became pagan to that eureka-ish ritual experience.  Mind, much of that time I didn't have the sort of resources that this board provides, let alone other parts of the internet - almost everything out there was Wicca 101 books or derived therefrom, sometimes with sparkly animated gifs of rotating pentacles.

Also: I didn't stop there.  There is still very much a large part of my home, but it wasn't everything I needed or wanted, so I kept going.  More experimentation, more work. Some syncretisation; some borrowings.  Everyone is a work in progress.
we rise and fall

Geckomamasita

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 04:55:23 pm »

I can relate to your situation, so here's a bit of my story :) I was never raised with religion and realized very early on (maybe when I was ten) that I didn't believe in God. I grew up in the deep South of the US and was pretty much given daily reminders of how awful religion can be. But, I always had an interest in paganism. I talked about it often with my brother and he became a member of Asatru. I moved out to Montana almost two years ago and have been spending lots of time in the outdoors. Camping out in the Rockies and Cascade mountains became more than just getting away from civilization, but I started feeling this deep connection. I'm a chemist and have always tried to find scientific explanations for everything. When I stopped trying to find a physical explanation for why I was having these experiences, I realized that atheism wasn't the answer for me. It's been a very slow shift into druidry but I'm getting there. Also I realized that talking about this with my atheist friends is just not a conversation I can have. I lost a few "friends" and a few of them it took a couple weeks for them to handle it. Luckily my boyfriend, who is an atheist, has been so supportive.

I think its all really a path and you just do what feels right. Don't force it or you will feel silly. My first ritual I ended up laughing at myself because I felt crazy just sitting in my apartment saying this script I found in a book. I have this spot on a mountain near me that just has the right energy I guess you could call it. In that little clearing, I don't feel crazy and it feels right to talk to Cernunnos or whoever is listening.

So, maybe just try going out on a hike or camping for a weekend. Get out of touch with humanity and all of that and just go be a part of the Earth for awhile.

Also, I think someone should start a group like AA but from people who went atheist to pagan haha

Tags: