Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Questions I have about Druids.  (Read 1506 times)

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Questions I have about Druids.
« on: May 09, 2016, 08:12:31 pm »
Forgive me for my bad wording and lack of knowledge yet again, I just started looking into what Druids are(or were since people are trying to reconstruct it). All I know they had connection to certain types of trees. And kinda of like a priest but I know its way different but its the closet connection I can make due to my ignorance. So I just ask how do people set on the path of the druids? And what are the requirements(I'm looking into the Gaulish version)?
I thank ye for your time, Sincerely,      
A Mughal Cow.

Nothingness

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Religion: Celtic Shamanic Wicca, currently studing Druidry and I'm in OBOD.
Re: Questions I have about Druids.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:57:48 pm »
Quote from: MongolianCow;190891
Forgive me for my bad wording and lack of knowledge yet again, I just started looking into what Druids are(or were since people are trying to reconstruct it). All I know they had connection to certain types of trees. And kinda of like a priest but I know its way different but its the closet connection I can make due to my ignorance. So I just ask how do people set on the path of the druids? And what are the requirements(I'm looking into the Gaulish version)?
A Mughal Cow.

I know there are Gaulish Druid traditions in French in France, and there might on or two in Quebec Canada, probably in French too, but in the U.S.A.?  I don't know.  I know OBOD uses mainly use Welsh stuff and pantheon, but you can use Gaulish pantheon if you want for yourself, which I do, since my ancestry is from France (Gaulish).

Keltia is a magazine in French about the Celts, and the Gauls, and each volume has  really interesting articles.  You can get it either by mail or buy most  of their volumes in digital format (PDF), not all of their volumes are  available in digital format though.  Their website also has good infos  about the Celts.  I just think for anyone who speaks French, which I do, might be  interested in it.

http://keltia-magazine.com/keltia_magazine.php

Nothingness

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 12:28:07 am »
Quote from: Nothingness;190895
la la la...

Here is a good link about Gauls:

http://deomercurio.be/en/cur.html

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 12:39:46 am »
A Mughal Cow.

Druids who lived in Gaul didn't leave written records behind, and what is known about them is limited and comes from an outsider's perspective. Outside of OBOD, there's ADF (Ár nDraíocht Féin). They try to reconstruct polytheistic religions based off archaeology and folklore from the various Indo-European peoples (Irish, Welsh, Gaulish, Greek, Vedic, Norse, etc.).

I don't know how many Gaulish-centered groups are around, but there's definitely some Gaulish Reconstructionists who might be be able to give you some direction.  Here is a list of Celtic Reconstructionist blogs on Tumblr. You could look around and ask for advice.  They're generally friendly and helpful and should give you a good place to start. http://echtrai.tumblr.com/celticpolytheists Good luck on your journey!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:43:27 am by Nic an Dair »

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 12:53:03 am »
Quote from: Nothingness;190895
I know there are Gaulish Druid traditions in French in France, and there might on or two in Quebec Canada, probably in French too, but in the U.S.A.?  I don't know.  I know OBOD uses mainly use Welsh stuff and pantheon, but you can use Gaulish pantheon if you want for yourself, which I do, since my ancestry is from France (Gaulish).

Keltia is a magazine in French about the Celts, and the Gauls, and each volume has  really interesting articles.  You can get it either by mail or buy most  of their volumes in digital format (PDF), not all of their volumes are  available in digital format though.  Their website also has good infos  about the Celts.  I just think for anyone who speaks French, which I do, might be  interested in it.

http://keltia-magazine.com/keltia_magazine.php

Its in French? Nicht sehr gut

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 12:53:24 am »
Quote from: Amber Seal;190898
Druids who lived in Gaul didn't leave written records behind, and what is known about them is limited and comes from an outsider's perspective. Outside of OBOD, there's ADF (Ár nDraíocht Féin). They try to reconstruct polytheistic religions based off archaeology and folklore from the various Indo-European peoples (Irish, Welsh, Gaulish, Greek, Vedic, Norse, etc.).

I don't know how many Gaulish-centered groups are around, but there's definitely some Gaulish Reconstructionists who might be be able to give you some direction.  Here is a list of Celtic Reconstructionist blogs on Tumblr. You could look around and ask for advice.  They're generally friendly and helpful and should give you a good place to start. http://echtrai.tumblr.com/celticpolytheists Good luck on your journey!

Thank you I'll look into it.

Nothingness

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 01:41:04 am »
Quote from: MongolianCow;190919
Its in French? Nicht sehr gut

Yes, the magazine Keltia is in French.

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 05:37:12 pm »
Quote from: Nothingness;190921
Yes, the magazine Keltia is in French.

The time you should of taken French 1-2 in high school

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 05:52:49 pm »
All I know they had connection to certain types of trees.

According to Julius Caesar, Lucan and Pliny some Druidic rites were performed in groves and some plants were used. That doesn't mean that all Druidic rites were performed in groves, nor does it mean that Druids 'had connection to certain trees' in general. They also had 'connection' to stars, orally transmitted genealogical lists, poems...

And kinda of like a priest but I know its way different but its the closet connection I can make due to my ignorance.

The function of the druidic class in society wasn't limited to religious functions (and the types of Druids who were involved in sacrfices were the Vates according to Strabo). Other functions were historians, genealogists, lawyers, physicians, poets, astronomers, singers, oracles...

So I just ask how do people set on the path of the druids?

Several modern organizations have been mentioned in this thread already, but I don't think that anyone has mentioned Ancient Order of Druids in America (AODA) yet, so I mention them now.

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 10:01:17 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;191139
According to Julius Caesar, Lucan and Pliny some Druidic rites were performed in groves and some plants were used. That doesn't mean that all Druidic rites were performed in groves, nor does it mean that Druids 'had connection to certain trees' in general. They also had 'connection' to stars, orally transmitted genealogical lists, poems...

The function of the druidic class in society wasn't limited to religious functions (and the types of Druids who were involved in sacrfices were the Vates according to Strabo). Other functions were historians, genealogists, lawyers, physicians, poets, astronomers, singers, oracles...

Several modern organizations have been mentioned in this thread already, but I don't think that anyone has mentioned Ancient Order of Druids in America (AODA) yet, so I mention them now.

Wow, I sound really stupid. So Druids were normal people, but with some religious duty.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 06:44:21 am »
Quote from: MongolianCow;191150
Wow, I sound really stupid. So Druids were normal people, but with some religious duty.

In a pre-modern society in which not everyone received an education, Druids weren't particularily 'normal'. It took 20 years to become a fully trained Druid, the approximate equivalent to a Masters Degree in modern society.

Some Druids fulfilled religious duty, at least if we are to believe what Romans and Greek wrote about them. The tricky thing with classical sources, is that the Romans generally portrayed the Druids in a negative light for propaganda reasons, and the Greek generally portrayed Druids in a positive light (as 'Celtic Pythagoreans' of a sort), but how can we be sure that the Romans and Greek didn't, by mistake or intentionally, misrepresent the Druids?

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 12:15:54 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;191162
In a pre-modern society in which not everyone received an education, Druids weren't particularily 'normal'. It took 20 years to become a fully trained Druid, the approximate equivalent to a Masters Degree in modern society.

Some Druids fulfilled religious duty, at least if we are to believe what Romans and Greek wrote about them. The tricky thing with classical sources, is that the Romans generally portrayed the Druids in a negative light for propaganda reasons, and the Greek generally portrayed Druids in a positive light (as 'Celtic Pythagoreans' of a sort), but how can we be sure that the Romans and Greek didn't, by mistake or intentionally, misrepresent the Druids?

Very true, Romans were raciest, Greeks are kinda of to my knowledge mainly just to the Persians.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 01:03:35 pm »
Quote from: MongolianCow;191674
Very true, Romans were raciest

No, they weren't. Racism began to emerge in the 18th century CE, long time after the Roman Empire. But the Romans had an interest to paint the expansion of their Empire in bright colours, and if propaganda was needed, they didn't shun to describe assimilated populations before annexation as backwards.

Nowadays we are all Romans, without knowing it: You and I communicate in this moment by the medium of the Roman alfabet, and we live in legal systems based on Roman principles of Law.

Tags: