Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: If you weren't your current religion...  (Read 5984 times)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
If you weren't your current religion...
« on: May 04, 2016, 05:07:57 pm »
What would you be?

If I wasn't either a Jew/Noahide (still figuring that one out...) I would probably be a rather liberal Muslim.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: If you weren't your current religion...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 05:16:25 pm »
Quote from: Castus;190727
What would you be?

If I wasn't either a Jew/Noahide (still figuring that one out...) I would probably be a rather liberal Muslim.
Interesting question! I hate to admit this, but I'd probably be Episcopalian.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Mewtini

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:35:43 pm »
What would you be?

Hmm, that's a toughie.  If that meant something completely different, ie not pure Asatru or Satanism or Rodnovery, then I'd probably be a Kemetic, or whatever the term is for people who worship Egyptian gods.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 08:02:51 pm »
What would you be?

A mystical Catholic
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:19:09 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;190736
A mystical Catholic

Just realized Catholic Mystic/Christian Mystic would be more respectful. My apologies
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 09:04:29 pm »
What would you be?

I practice about 5000 religions already, but maybe I would be some kind of Christian exclusively (either Roman Catholic or Anglo-Catholic), or maybe a Hindu if I wanted to abandon the Abrahamic thing altogether and follow a tradition that was mainstream but pagan-ish.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:18:51 pm »
What would you be?

I found NeoWicca in my pre-teens, which was the start of the path to where I am now. As a pre-teen I was extremely vulnerable and shaken by trauma, absolutely desperate to belong anywhere and quick to believe things that had been proven false, so to be completely honest I likely would have joined a cult or a religious group that bordered on cult-like.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Mewtini

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:00:23 pm »
Quote from: Morag;190740
I found NeoWicca in my pre-teens, which was the start of the path to where I am now. As a pre-teen I was extremely vulnerable and shaken by trauma, absolutely desperate to belong anywhere and quick to believe things that had been proven false, so to be completely honest I likely would have joined a cult or a religious group that bordered on cult-like.

Isn't Wicca already pretty "neo" in itself?  And yeah, as 9th grader I was in a similar boat.  I even believed in the shit taught by Spirit Science at one point.  Those were dark days.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 11:11:35 pm »
Quote from: Mewtini;190742
Isn't Wicca already pretty "neo" in itself?

Yup, but "Wicca" is often used as a catchall term for a lot of different things, so a lot of folks have started using NeoWicca and Eclectic Wicca to further distinguish Wiccanate traditions from British Traditional Wicca.

Jenett has a really good essay on the range of uses for the term "Wicca" on her Seeking website, which will probably explain things much better than I can.

At any rate, the stuff I got into was Silver Ravenwolf's 'Teen Witch' stuff, so it was somewhere between numbers 4 and 5 on Jenett's list of definitions above. There were definitely some trappings of Wicca from outer court material, but it was also heavily peppered with "Wicca is anything you want it to be!" So I try to remember to call it NeoWicca, to be more precise in my terminology.

Quote from: Mewtini;190742
And yeah, as 9th grader I was in a similar boat.  I even believed in the shit taught by Spirit Science at one point.  Those were dark days.

I used The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets as, like, a literal Bible.

It honestly wasn't until I got to TC that I started learning the critical thinking skills needed to dismantle a bunch of erroneous beliefs I'd picked up from various pagan sources. And that was in my early 20s.

Hadn't heard of Spirit Science before, but I just looked at their site...that, um. That is a thing for which I have few words.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:17:21 pm »
What would you be?

Probably a Buddhist, but I've been a Catholic mystic before and could have gone further in that direction. Also at one point I almost started taking classes in Feri and didn't, but if I had I think I would have liked it.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Mewtini

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 11:52:30 pm »
Quote from: Morag;190744
At any rate, the stuff I got into was Silver Ravenwolf's 'Teen Witch' stuff, so it was somewhere between numbers 4 and 5 on Jenett's list of definitions above. There were definitely some trappings of Wicca from outer court material, but it was also heavily peppered with "Wicca is anything you want it to be!" So I try to remember to call it NeoWicca, to be more precise in my terminology.

Uuuulg, $ilver Ravenwolf.  I'm glad you got out of that, because that lady has no clue what she's talking about.  Generally, we call those sorts of people who think Wicca is some kind of weird mix of pick and choose and feelgood environmentalism "fluffbunnies", because I'd hesitate to put them in the category of Wicca at all.

Quote from: Morag;190744
Hadn't heard of Spirit Science before, but I just looked at their site...that, um. That is a thing for which I have few words.

Woooooh, yeah, they're basically the epitome of "making stuff up as you go" theologies.  All you need to know is that the guy who runs the group believes that the Jews are space aliens.  But good ones, unlike the Martians, who are evil and make up the Illuminati.  Also, the moon is a hollow spacecraft, Thoth is a physical alien being, Greys tried to take over the earth in the 80's, and Egyptian pharaohs were really 10 feet tall because they were at a higher level of consciousness.  In a way, it's like some distaff counterpart to Joy of Satan.  The same basic beliefs, except they're a bunch of passive aggressive libertarians rather than active aggressive Nazis.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 01:03:44 am »
Quote from: Mewtini;190746
Uuuulg, $ilver Ravenwolf.  I'm glad you got out of that, because that lady has no clue what she's talking about.  Generally, we call those sorts of people who think Wicca is some kind of weird mix of pick and choose and feelgood environmentalism "fluffbunnies", because I'd hesitate to put them in the category of Wicca at all.

Serious question...who is this 'we' you have mentioned? I'm not even trying to be a nitpicking ass...I'm genuinely puzzled by the statement.

On a personal note, I'm not really down with statements that include "those people" in them. It strikes me as being an ultimately harmful concept in that one is purposely othering an entire group of people without really articulating (for others and for oneself) why.

Whenever I hear/read someone referring to others as "those people", I tend to assume it is for the high crime of Eating Crackers Like They Own the Place.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 01:14:34 am »
Quote from: Mewtini;190746
Uuuulg, $ilver Ravenwolf.  I'm glad you got out of that, because that lady has no clue what she's talking about.  

I remember her history being awful, but I am also fairly certain that one of her books is the first place I encountered a how-to on making a servitor. So I guess sometimes mushrooms grow out of shit?

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 01:20:38 am »
What would you be?

Hmm. Thelemite or Satanist probably?

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 01:31:50 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;190748
I remember her history being awful, but I am also fairly certain that one of her books is the first place I encountered a how-to on making a servitor. So I guess sometimes mushrooms grow out of shit?

She's definitely the sort of author I wouldn't recommend to a raw beginner, but there are useful tidbits in her books if you can sort through the chaff and ignore some of her more sanctimonious moments.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Tags: