collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: If you weren't your current religion...  (Read 6056 times)

Mewtini

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: If you weren't your current religion...
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 02:00:12 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;190748
I remember her history being awful, but I am also fairly certain that one of her books is the first place I encountered a how-to on making a servitor. So I guess sometimes mushrooms grow out of shit?

My main problem with her is that she seems to embody every laughable stereotype about neopagan teenagers, except that she's an adult.  Believes in the unsolicited preaching of neopaganism?  Check.  Unrealistic expectations about magic?  Check.  Talks constantly of the "burning times"?  Check.  Thinks using the term "quantum physics" is an excuse to make things up as she goes along?  Super check.

To top it off, she has this weird aversion to black magic, claiming in Teen Witch that no REAL neopagan uses black magic/blood magic/other magic she doesn't like.  Which, in addition to being pretty goddamn arbitrary, also just flies in the face of the general attitude of the pagan community and how people in general dont have a set orthodoxy.

Bottom line, I dont particularly like her.  End of rant.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 02:18:55 am »
Quote from: Mewtini;190753
My main problem with her is that she seems to embody every laughable stereotype about neopagan teenagers, except that she's an adult.  Believes in the unsolicited preaching of neopaganism?  Check.  Unrealistic expectations about magic?  Check.  Talks constantly of the "burning times"?  Check.  Thinks using the term "quantum physics" is an excuse to make things up as she goes along?  Super check.

To top it off, she has this weird aversion to black magic, claiming in Teen Witch that no REAL neopagan uses black magic/blood magic/other magic she doesn't like.  Which, in addition to being pretty goddamn arbitrary, also just flies in the face of the general attitude of the pagan community and how people in general dont have a set orthodoxy.

Bottom line, I dont particularly like her.  End of rant.

Oh, I don't like her either - I agree with Morag that she is definitely not great for a brand spankin new beginner. There's a few bright spots in her "To Do a Whatever" series, but I doubt that in this day and age it's worth it to go pawing through em to find.

But at the risk of defending someone I don't much care for, I do have to say that a lot of NeoWicca books of that era were filled with the exact same horseshit. Burning times, aversion to 'dark' magic, a mix-n-match approach to deities... I was there, dude, I remember. (Although I missed Teen Witch, which I am eternally grateful for if only because the cover was so bad that I may have died of embarrassment buying it.)

My personal most-hated author of that era was DJ Conway, for the record.

Mewtini

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 02:21:43 am »
Quote from: Allaya;190747
Serious question...who is this 'we' you have mentioned? I'm not even trying to be a nitpicking ass...I'm genuinely puzzled by the statement.

On a personal note, I'm not really down with statements that include "those people" in them. It strikes me as being an ultimately harmful concept in that one is purposely othering an entire group of people without really articulating (for others and for oneself) why.

Whenever I hear/read someone referring to others as "those people", I tend to assume it is for the high crime of Eating Crackers Like They Own the Place.

Perhaps I should go into more detail on what I mean by "fluffbunny".

I've first heard the term used on Rationalwiki (an admittedly atheist biased website), and I have a couple of friends into alternative religious stuff who have also used the term, or similar terms.  It basically refers to people, who to put it in short, basically make up their religious beliefs as they see fit, often with a lack of coherence whatsoever.  This is different, mind you, from merely being eclectic, or having a combination of beliefs like some of us here do.  Many pagan traditions have significant overlap, especially those of European flavor, so such things tend to happen.

The thing about "fluffbunnies" is that they tend to be far more concerned about the feel good aspect of things and often an obsession with spells to solve their problems.  If it ended at that, I wouldn't care too much, but the thing is that there are some nasty bastards who have realized they can make a quick buck off of the credulous people who mistake having an "open mind" with throwing common sense out the window.  It doesn't help that such industries and many of the bunnies that buy into them are also fond of cultural appropriation of traditions that have next to nothing to do with them, and typically misrepresenting said tradition entirely.

Sorry for the long winded rant, but I always consider critical thinking to be a valuable tool.  Mind you, I dont consider "fluffbunnies" to be bad people in themselves, I just think that they have some maturing to do in terms of their faith, and they generally get around to doing that in time.  I hope you can at least understand why I feel the way I do.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 02:37:29 am »
Quote from: Mewtini;190757

Sorry for the long winded rant, but I always consider critical thinking to be a valuable tool.  Mind you, I dont consider "fluffbunnies" to be bad people in themselves, I just think that they have some maturing to do in terms of their faith, and they generally get around to doing that in time.  I hope you can at least understand why I feel the way I do.

I just wanted to add that the general definition of a fluff on TC is more along the lines of "willfully ignorant" than just immature and lacking in knowledge. That doesn't mean, necessarily, that your definition is wrong; it just means that y'all might be discussing this with different definitions of what a flufftrog is.

Also, to answer Castus' question, I think I'd probably be some flavor of Norse/Germanic polytheist.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 03:33:28 am »
Quote from: Mewtini;190753
My main problem with her is that she seems to embody every laughable stereotype about neopagan teenagers, except that she's an adult.

Since the source of the stereotype was teens who'd read her books and took them too authoritatively, of course that's the case - she's not following the stereotype, she's its adult prototype/cause. (Assuming, of course, that her books are an accurate reflection of her practice and beliefs.)

In response to the OP: I've been a bootstrap eclectic religious witch for ~40 years, since I was in my teens; I'm not sure it's meaningful to ask what I'd be if I wasn't that. Possibly some sort of initiatory neoPagan religious witchcraft, if I'd happened to cross paths with a teacher/coven that resonated sufficiently well, but that's a high bar.

If not pagan at all (hard for me to imagine why I wouldn't be, but for the sake of discussion), I suppose I'd be a pluralistic (i.e., not anti-theist) agnostic/soft atheist, perhaps with no 'social church' connection, or perhaps still loosely affiliated with the United Church of Canada (which is what I was raised in) or involved to a greater or lesser extent with UUism.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 08:34:26 am »
Quote from: Castus;190727
What would you be?

If I wasn't a Pagan Neo-Platonist and a Druid, I would either become exclusively Buddhist (Tendai or Shingon), become an Anglican (like Demophon, of the Liberal and Anglo-Catholic persuasion) or join a Neo-Gnostic church of the less dualistic type (hardocore dualists frightens me, reagrdless their particular religious adherence).

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 12:53:22 pm »
What would you be?

I went from mainstream Anglicanism to Dark Paganism to the Orthodox Church. I guess that qualifies as a bit of flip-flopping. If I were to flop once again, it would be out of Christianity, since I don't think I'd give any other church the time of day. Probably go into full-time Druidry. I still want to do the Bard rank with OBOD anyway. When I can spend £200.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 02:51:18 pm »
What would you be?

Although I like to think I'd join the UU church or something similar, the honest answer is I'd probably still be Catholic because that's what I was raised to be and it's comfortable for those reasons. Technically I still consider myself "culturally Catholic" because a lot of my family's holiday traditions that we still celebrate come from Catholic belief, like the feast of seven fishes.

In another life I might like to be Hindu though. I only know a smattering about it (keep intending to read some of the vedas but life always interrupts) but what little I do know interests me.

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 03:26:08 pm »
What would you be?

If I wasn't either a Jew/Noahide (still figuring that one out...) I would probably be a rather liberal Muslim.

I'd probably be a proper full-on dialetical atheist Marxist rather than a Marxish.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 07:15:31 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;190761

In response to the OP: I've been a bootstrap eclectic religious witch for ~40 years, since I was in my teens; I'm not sure it's meaningful to ask what I'd be if I wasn't that.

I had a similar response (except for the number of decades involved) since I've been on my current path one way or another since middle school.

If Kemet weren't a thing, I'd probably be a pop-culture pagan, since I really like fantasy settings with well-developed religions and magic systems.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 10:46:26 am »
What would you be?

Slavic heathen, likely, or possibly Romuva.

Or a very, very grumpy agnostic mystic.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 10:51:50 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;190749
Hmm. Thelemite or Satanist probably?

Oh, I forgot about the Temple of Set.  Maybe there.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2016, 12:29:07 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;190790
I had a similar response (except for the number of decades involved) since I've been on my current path one way or another since middle school.

Another similar response here. When I started reading about paganism, it was like finding home. I think I was pagan before I had a name for it.

Had I not found my way, I most likely would have been a Spiritualist, as that was the church that I felt most at home in when I was young. Either that or Catholic. I find great beauty in the rituals of Catholicism.

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 02:36:40 pm »
What would you be?

If I wasn't either a Jew/Noahide (still figuring that one out...) I would probably be a rather liberal Muslim.

I think if anything i'd be a native american style shaman. Not to be disrespectful to native americans of course :)

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 07:00:55 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;190761
I suppose I'd be a pluralistic (i.e., not anti-theist) agnostic/soft atheist... or involved to a greater or lesser extent with UUism.

Sunflower

Maybe this as well, and very involved in one of those Sunday Assembly 'congregations' (a.k.a. the atheists' 'church' by some folk).  

Or a  Catholic monk cloistered away in some beautiful old stone monastery in Ireland or England who could just work in a garden (or make alcohol or fruitcakes), read, pray, chant all day... :)
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

Tags: