collapse

Author Topic: Strange Symbols  (Read 2242 times)

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Strange Symbols
« on: April 24, 2016, 04:26:53 pm »
Hi all,

So far I've seen two symbols. One came up in a dream, the other in meditation. I don't remember seeing either of them before, but there is always the possibility that I saw them in passing at some point and through meditation and dreams they emerged from the subconscious. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to begin in identifying them, if they mean anything at all, but if anyone here might somehow recognise them or be able to advise me on how to even begin to approach this sort of thing, such help would be greatly appreciated. It's more likely than not the churned-up residue of my psychological functioning, but if they have any significance I feel I should at least look into it. I'll post some pictures in a moment.
Thanks to any and all replies made.

Bright Blessings,
 ~Nymree

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Symbols
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 04:37:31 pm »
Quote from: Nymree;190295
I'll post some pictures in a moment.

Here's the one from the dream.

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 04:51:02 pm »
I'll post some pictures

I seem to be having trouble uploading the second.

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:59:19 am »
I'll post some pictures in a moment.

Bright Blessings,
 ~Nymree

Hi Nymree,

The thing about symbols is that they're often very subjective. So what any given image means to me might be the opposite of what it means to you. I think that talking through potential meanings can be really helpful in working out what it means to you so it's great to talk about it. Some questions you might want to start with:

Why does this symbol seem important?
What's the first thing that comes to mind when I look at it?
How does it make me feel?
Does it seem to relate to anything that's going on in my life right now?

You don't have to answer these questions here but you can of you wish, in which case people might be able to discuss the answers with you and help you dig further into this.

I hope this has been a little helpful!
Rocquelaire

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 01:43:56 pm »
Quote from: Nymree;190298
Here's the one from the dream.

It looks like a representation of spirit work or trance work. Four people and four animals and one person with animal on top. Could be transformation or someone wearing a skin. Three large spirits are circling them. Does any of that relate to the rest of the dream.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 10:42:30 pm »
Quote from: Holdasown;190363
It looks like a representation of spirit work or trance work. Four people and four animals and one person with animal on top. Could be transformation or someone wearing a skin. Three large spirits are circling them. Does any of that relate to the rest of the dream.

It has the vibe of a neolithic cave painting; perhaps representing some kind of hunt? With a triple deity watching over it, embracing it as part of the natural order they supervise.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 01:44:56 am »
Quote from: Altair;190380
With a triple deity watching

It's interesting that you mention a triple deity; recently I've been getting a lot of (what I have perceived to be) signs from Hecate, including crow dreams amongst other determining things. I did get the vibe that the three figures were gods, but they could also be spirits I suppose - I just haven't had a great deal of conscious experience with spirits to my knowledge.

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 02:12:20 am »
The thing is, it wouldn't under normal circumstances. In the dream it appeared on a whiteboard (I think) I some run-down hotel of some kind, but it the dream I paused to examine it for a moment before moving on. I think I remembered it because I actually paused to focus on it, but it just felt sort of out of place - like when someone else paints over another artist's work in some way, and just doesn't match their style.
What's the first thing that comes to mind when I look at it?
I thought of the Gods protecting us, whoever us is. I did wonder if the people inside the circle represented my family (two or three living family members were a large part of the rest of the dream), or even wide humanity (since I'm still trying to understand the nature of the gods and their interactions with humanity, this may be a sort of lesson on that). I do have one dog currently, but not any more than that.

How does it make me feel?
I'm not too sure. It's strange, it looks like something of protection to me, but it does also have a slightly unsettling appearance in a way (that may just be my replication of it). I Should note here that I'm unsure about how much of the symbol I managed to replicate accurately from the dream; any translation from dream to reality may be sketchy and I have a feeling I may be missing something. For example, I think there could've been more people and dogs, and in the dream they seemed to be almost moving or shifting in the picture, which is what makes me think it could've been a symbol either for the individual (my family) or potentially wider humanity. I also thought there could've also been a second "protection" circle of the god/spirit figures, but I'm very unsure of this as the replication does seem faintly familiar/correct.

Does it seem to relate to anything that's going on in my life right now?
Apart from the Hecate/triple goddess stuff, no. That's what is so strange; it didn't relate to the content of the dream whatsoever. However, I have noticed a pattern; my deceased grandfather appeared in the dream as a part of my living family, and the only times he has appeared at all in my dreams has been when I have been/about to experience some kind of spiritual change or development, especially when it involved the Gods. That's more a correlation between several dreams, but I suppose it may tie in with my changes or expansion in worship, or a sign to prepare for another change (reassured by a symbol of protection, as a sort of "we're here, so don't be afraid to accept these sudden changes" kind of thing). That's just one theory, but it might explain my grandfather's appearance in the dream.

Quote from: rocquelaire;190349
I hope this has been a little helpful!
Rocquelaire
It has Rocquelaire, thank you!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:16:59 am by Nymree »

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 10:22:12 am »
Quote from: Altair;190380
It has the vibe of a neolithic cave painting; perhaps representing some kind of hunt? With a triple deity watching over it, embracing it as part of the natural order they supervise.

I was leary to say hunt as there are no weapons in the picture.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:22:28 am by Holdasown »

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 07:17:53 pm »
Quote from: Nymree;190388
The thing is, it wouldn't under normal circumstances. In the dream it appeared on a whiteboard (I think) I some run-down hotel of some kind, but it the dream I paused to examine it for a moment before moving on. I think I remembered it because I actually paused to focus on it, but it just felt sort of out of place - like when someone else paints over another artist's work in some way, and just doesn't match their style.

This is weird and familiar to me- in a dream, I learned a magical symbol that I've not seen since, which was written alongside upright and reverse pentagrams and a couple runes or whatever (nothing else out of the ordinary), on a school whiteboard. Usually I struggle a lot with dream images, especially ones I want to remember, but I woke up with it completely clear in my head. Although I think about it now and then, the closest I've come to knowing what it is or using it was when I accidentally wrote it into a sigil recently (noticing on completion).

But one difference compared to you is that in the dream, I didn't linger on it, I pretty much went 'ah yes, and that one. nothing new here.' and didn't really realize it wasn't a known symbol until I woke up.

My guesses would be along the lines of everyone else as far as meanings, I can't really help much, but I did want to say something since I can sympathize.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 07:19:15 pm »
Quote from: Holdasown;190393
I was leary to say hunt as there are no weapons in the picture.

Then trapping or agriculture, maybe? Just going by the feel of circling/surrounds.

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 03:38:27 pm »
Quote from: Scales;190429
This is weird and familiar to me

That's interesting, especially since they both appeared on whiteboards. Its significance is unclear,  but still an interesting pattern. My symbols haven't occured to me at any point in day-to-day life thus far, but then again I've yet to expand my Craft to sigils (something I want to get around to at some point). Thanks for sharing :)

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 03:28:40 am »
Quote from: Nymree;190301
I seem to be having trouble uploading the second.

Here's a description of the second symbol:

A circle with four or five lines reaching from its cidrcumference out to the right, each one slightly shorter than the last as you go down (sort of like a hand reaching to the right.) The more confusing part, though, is what it seems to be reaching for. To the right of the  "hand" is a diamond shape, split down the middle with a single long line that continues before and after the diamond for a little bit (it looks like a line with two triangles on either side, but the triangles touch along their base. Their base is this line, but the lines extends a little as I said). Sorry that I couldnt get the picture, I hope this suffices?

I could guess the hand's meaning on my own, but I seek second opinions on the diamond/triangles shape because this one really stumps me. I would be deeply grateful for any and all replies made.

Thanks for everyone's help with the dream symbol. I'm now gathering all the information together to have a think over and draw some conclusions.

Qumran@OccultRealms

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.occultrealms.com
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 10:08:41 am »
Hi all,

So far I've seen two symbols. One came up in a dream, the other in meditation. I don't remember seeing either of them before, but there is always the possibility that I saw them in passing at some point and through meditation and dreams they emerged from the subconscious. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to begin in identifying them, if they mean anything at all, but if anyone here might somehow recognise them or be able to advise me on how to even begin to approach this sort of thing, such help would be greatly appreciated. It's more likely than not the churned-up residue of my psychological functioning, but if they have any significance I feel I should at least look into it. I'll post some pictures in a moment.

Bright Blessings,
 ~Nymree

Since dreams are such subjective, personal things I recommend sitting with a journal and writing what it means to YOU.  People commenting on your dream symbol will tell what makes sense to THEM, but no two people share the same dream reality.  

I would be curious to hear what feelings, impressions or thoughts occur to YOU.  What did you feel AT THE TIME you were dreaming it?

I wish you well in your quest. :)

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 11:37:23 pm »
Nevermind
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:38:47 pm by Wimsaur »

Tags: