Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: ADMIN: Move to SMF Board Canceled  (Read 4748 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
ADMIN: Move to SMF Board Canceled
« on: April 24, 2016, 11:48:38 am »
There are a couple of major issues with the new board that are causing us to cancel the move at this time (Sunday 24 April 10:30 am).

FIRST  ISSUE: Unread messages is not working properly -- depending on how you  view them. Attempts to fix resulting in changing which ways work and  don't work but did not fix the underlying issue. As listing unread  messages MUST be reliable, this alone is enough reason to cancel the  move.

SECOND ISSUE: The last message on a page is completely  messed up for some usergroups. The header for the message repeats at the  end of the message (instead of the lines with the "Report to Moderator"  link. So it looks like there is another empty message present.

I  would like to apologize for wasting this week trying to move to the new  board. It was supposed to be a week totally free of other obligations  so I could devote all my time and energy to moving the board without  making major errors.  Instead it turning into the week from hell:

Sunday:  Was supposed to start work but 9 inches of rain might cause power  failures so I did not start. Power was only out briefly, but rains that  heavy cause 4-8 hour power failures about half the time.

Monday: Worked like I was supposed to. Got a lot done. Was actually a bit ahead of schedule at this point. This was the ONLY day that ended up as free for this project as it was supposed to be.

Tuesday:  One of Lyric's doctors needed her to have forms today. Had to go pick  up forms at doctor across town. Wasted 3 hours on this.  That night,  more storms. Dog woke us in panic about 3 am. I did not get back to sleep.

Wednesday:  Worked but tired from last night. Did not get as much done as I  should.  We go to bed. One of our senior dogs develops problem at  12:30am. Spend night at vet, did not get any sleep. Turned out to be a mild stroke, BTW.

Thursday:  More vet, but it does not matter as I am in no shape to work on board. I  got a little done, but tried not to do much as when this tired, I make  lots of errors. Slept okay, but still not caught up.

Friday:  Doctor needs to see Donna (told us Tuesday) -- wasted 4 hours traveling  to/from doctor, waiting for doctor, and seeing doctor who changed her meds slightly. Got some stuff done. Got a good  night's sleep.

Saturday: Finished up board enough to test.   Initially looked good, then started seeing major problems in the evening  as more people posted.

Sunday: Attempted to fix problems --  nothing worked completely. Out of time. Decided to drop conversion and  continue to use old board.  Doubt I will be able to free up another week  to try until fall or winter.  I hope when I do it will actually be a real FREE week and not one full  of expected real life problems and emergencies.  I suspect I really  messed thing up at some point on Wednesday. Thursday. or Friday when I  was exhausted and prone to making errors.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: ADMIN: Move to SMF Board Canceled
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 12:20:21 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;190268
There are a couple of major issues with the new board that are causing us to cancel the move at this time (Sunday 24 April 10:30 am).

I wouldn't say you have nothing to show for it, Randall. Problems were identified and I see that as a lemons to lemonade thing. We at least have a list of stuff to specifically troubleshoot next time around.

Software migrations suck no matter what. You're still a-ok in my book. :)
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 12:27:30 pm »

I  would like to apologize for wasting this week trying to move to the new  board. It was supposed to be a week totally free of other obligations  so I could devote all my time and energy to moving the board without  making major errors.  Instead it turning into the week from hell:

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for in my book.  You offered up your own time to do something to benefit the forum, and had what sounds like a horrendous week.  I am sorry you couldn't get the things done that you wanted to do, but I am not upset in any way with you for trying!

I love this forum, and am grateful for all the things that are done to make it a fantastic place, and I am sure that so much goes on that I am not aware of to make it what it is...so thank you for that :)
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 01:24:47 pm »

Your hard work is appreciated, and you have nothing to apologize for.

Mewtini

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 03:12:13 pm »
I  would like to apologize for wasting this week trying to move to the new  board. It was supposed to be a week totally free of other obligations  so I could devote all my time and energy to moving the board without  making major errors.  Instead it turning into the week from hell

It's okay, situations like those are basically the story of my life

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 03:12:51 pm »

FIRST  ISSUE: Unread messages is not working properly -- depending on how you  view them. Attempts to fix resulting in changing which ways work and  don't work but did not fix the underlying issue. As listing unread  messages MUST be reliable, this alone is enough reason to cancel the  move.

SECOND ISSUE: The last message on a page is completely  messed up for some usergroups. The header for the message repeats at the  end of the message (instead of the lines with the "Report to Moderator"  link. So it looks like there is another empty message present.

Sunday:  Was supposed to start work but 9 inches of rain might cause power  failures so I did not start. Power was only out briefly, but rains that  heavy cause 4-8 hour power failures about half the time.

Monday: Worked like I was supposed to. Got a lot done. Was actually a bit ahead of schedule at this point. This was the ONLY day that ended up as free for this project as it was supposed to be.

Tuesday:  One of Lyric's doctors needed her to have forms today. Had to go pick  up forms at doctor across town. Wasted 3 hours on this.  That night,  more storms. Dog woke us in panic about 3 am. I did not get back to sleep.

Wednesday:  Worked but tired from last night. Did not get as much done as I  should.  We go to bed. One of our senior dogs develops problem at  12:30am. Spend night at vet, did not get any sleep. Turned out to be a mild stroke, BTW.

Thursday:  More vet, but it does not matter as I am in no shape to work on board. I  got a little done, but tried not to do much as when this tired, I make  lots of errors. Slept okay, but still not caught up.

Friday:  Doctor needs to see Donna (told us Tuesday) -- wasted 4 hours traveling  to/from doctor, waiting for doctor, and seeing doctor who changed her meds slightly. Got some stuff done. Got a good  night's sleep.

Saturday: Finished up board enough to test.   Initially looked good, then started seeing major problems in the evening  as more people posted.

Sunday: Attempted to fix problems --  nothing worked completely. Out of time. Decided to drop conversion and  continue to use old board.  Doubt I will be able to free up another week  to try until fall or winter.  I hope when I do it will actually be a real FREE week and not one full  of expected real life problems and emergencies.  I suspect I really  messed thing up at some point on Wednesday. Thursday. or Friday when I  was exhausted and prone to making errors.

Evening you do is greatly appreciated!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 03:18:33 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;190279
Your hard work is appreciated, and you have nothing to apologize for.

Second the above... so sorry that this was a week of bad weather, family health problems, lack of sleep etc. on top of the 'Board' problems.  Your efforts are very appreciated on our behalf!
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 05:09:09 pm »

There is no need to apologise, Randall. As always, you have devoted so much of your free time to try and make this forum the best it can be, and your efforts are greatly appreciated.

I hope Lyric and the dogs are doing okay.

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 07:52:47 am »

There is nothing for you to apologise for. Thank you for everything you do for this board and for giving us all this online home.

I hope lyric and the dogs are doing well and that you have amore peaceful week.

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 09:27:49 pm »

No worries hope everything goes better.

Also I don't what your funding situation is like but if its financially feasible maybe an uninterruptible power supply unit and small generator would help with the weather

found one from apc for about $90 us http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-350/P-BK350

and you can probably find more brands with quick google search

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;190345
There is nothing for you to apologise for. Thank you for everything you do for this board and for giving us all this online home.

I hope lyric and the dogs are doing well and that you have amore peaceful week.

Seconding everyone else. I remember how worrying it was when out cat had her stroke; I can't imagine also dealing with everything else.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 09:59:13 pm »
Quote from: anonymus;190375
Also I don't what your funding situation is like but if its financially feasible maybe an uninterruptible power supply unit and small generator would help with the weather

found one from apc for about $90 us http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-350/P-BK350

We have them, but they last about 10-15 minutes. Power outages here usually last 4 to 8 hours. I did not want to take this board down and have it down while I sat in the dark. Leaving it up gave folks here another day with it.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 10:01:46 pm »
Quote from: Jack;190376
Seconding everyone else. I remember how worrying it was when out cat had her stroke; I can't imagine also dealing with everything else.

What made it worse was we had just lost Penny (our mini long-haired dachshund) to a stroke a couple of months ago. Arthur seems to have made an almost full recovery: his sight has returned and most of the weakness in one of his rear legs has gone away.
Randall

Tags: