collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: practicing witch but no gods  (Read 2587 times)

Lav5

• View Profile
practicing witch but no gods
« on: April 17, 2016, 10:09:04 pm »
Hello everyone!!!! I first began practicing/following the pagan path roughly 8 years ago. Read many many many books, much research was done on my part in all sorts of resources. My question is does anyone have similar beliefs to myself?  I practice witchcraft. The most common crafts I use would be spell work, herbalism, home garden and kitchen witchcraft.  I do follow the wheel of the year and try to be mindful of the sabbats. However I don't not beleive in deity the way many pagans do. I don't beleive in many different gods or goddesses.  I belief is this...that we....as people are divine in ourselfs, along with the earth and the sun and the moon. I beleive that the rivers, the wind, the mountains, the trees, etc. Are all a part of the same. What I personally consider worship would be to meditate, or to watch the wind blow the tree tops, or to listen to thunderstorm. I also beleive that during spell work the energy is coming from myself and possible what is surrounding me ( meaning nature). Another question would what would you call this if there even is a label...not that I need one but just curiosity.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: practicing witch but no gods
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 09:02:18 am »
Quote from: Lav5;190257
My question is does anyone have similar beliefs to myself?  (...) However I don't not beleive in deity the way many pagans do. I don't beleive in many different gods or goddesses.  I belief is this...that we....as people are divine in ourselfs, along with the earth and the sun and the moon. I beleive that the rivers, the wind, the mountains, the trees, etc. Are all a part of the same.

It sounds like Pantheism. It is probable, that you would like to read Ralph Waldo Emerson, who held a similar worldview.

Your worldview is also similar to, what the Pagan Stoics believed in classical antiquity. Check out Stoicism. An ancient Egyptian priest, called Chaeremon of Alexandria, was a well-known Stoic.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:14:46 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;190266
It sounds like Pantheism. It is probable, that you would like to read Ralph Waldo Emerson, who held a similar worldview.

Your worldview is also similar to, what the Pagan Stoics believed in classical antiquity. Check out Stoicism. An ancient Egyptian priest, called Chaeremon of Alexandria, was a well-known Stoic.

I agree that this sounds like Pantheism, and there are many pantheistic pagan witches, to my understanding. There are pantheistic elements in many spiritual belief systems. In terms of witchcraft, there is a blog I follow (loosely, because I lack time nowadays.) She classifies herself as a non-theistic witch, but her worldview sounds similar to yours.

http://www.witchywords.blogspot.com
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

CottageWitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 09:53:12 am »
Hello everyone!!!! I first began practicing/following the pagan path roughly 8 years ago. Read many many many books, much research was done on my part in all sorts of resources. My question is does anyone have similar beliefs to myself?  I practice witchcraft. The most common crafts I use would be spell work, herbalism, home garden and kitchen witchcraft.  I do follow the wheel of the year and try to be mindful of the sabbats. However I don't not beleive in deity the way many pagans do. I don't beleive in many different gods or goddesses.  I belief is this...that we....as people are divine in ourselfs, along with the earth and the sun and the moon. I beleive that the rivers, the wind, the mountains, the trees, etc. Are all a part of the same. What I personally consider worship would be to meditate, or to watch the wind blow the tree tops, or to listen to thunderstorm. I also beleive that during spell work the energy is coming from myself and possible what is surrounding me ( meaning nature). Another question would what would you call this if there even is a label...not that I need one but just curiosity.

It sounds like you regard what others call God or the Goddess as the "Living Force". In fact, the Goddess/God are so perfect and complete we cannot fully comprehend the greatness and vastness (in our physical bodies), so there is nothing wrong from calling it "nature" or "the living force" or "the force" or even "Life". In Buddhism, I know you have to meditate and live a certain amount of lives to even "some what" understand it all. You can call it what you want to call it, there is no "one glove fits all" like they say. lol :)

I think you are correct that nature is a very important part of our lives, and that time with nature is energizing. Being a Green/Cottage Witch myself, I tend to "ask" the planets, the sun, and Mother Earth to help me do "magic" in the first place. Essentially, this is where the energy is coming from and to respect that like you do shows your on the right path. My views on it is that human life on Earth is taxing to her, and the least I can do is "ask" and or establish that strong relationship. I never take more then what is given, its my personal philosophy that clearly the world is lacking right now. lol :)

It all comes back to the hand that feeds!!!

Lav5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 10:53:59 am »
Quote from: CottageWitch;190353
It sounds like you regard what others call God or the Goddess as the "Living Force". In fact, the Goddess/God are so perfect and complete we cannot fully comprehend the greatness and vastness (in our physical bodies), so there is nothing wrong from calling it "nature" or "the living force" or "the force" or even "Life". In Buddhism, I know you have to meditate and live a certain amount of lives to even "some what" understand it all. You can call it what you want to call it, there is no "one glove fits all" like they say. lol :)

I think you are correct that nature is a very important part of our lives, and that time with nature is energizing. Being a Green/Cottage Witch myself, I tend to "ask" the planets, the sun, and Mother Earth to help me do "magic" in the first place. Essentially, this is where the energy is coming from and to respect that like you do shows your on the right path. My views on it is that human life on Earth is taxing to her, and the least I can do is "ask" and or establish that strong relationship. I never take more then what is given, its my personal philosophy that clearly the world is lacking right now. lol :)

It all comes back to the hand that feeds!!!

Thank you everyone!! This was extremely helpful.

xGypsy13x

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 03:02:33 pm »

My practice didn't involve dieties, its all about the energies of the earth, as well as your own

Ryu

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 09:31:06 pm »

You know, I feel much like you do. I, personally, see deities as being metaphors to represent nature but are not things in and of themselves. In short they are mental constructs that one can use to focus on.

An analogy I like to use is that you one day see a "Beware of Dog" sign, you see the image of the freaky dog but is obviously not the real dog..it is just a metaphor for the real one that is laying in the bushes.:ninja: But someone can get so entranced by the image that they forget that the image is just that, an image. It can't hurt you nor can it bark and snarl, but serves as a warning to avoid the super-ninja dog that wants, literally, a piece of you.

As a side note I wouldn't worry about labels, I personally find them to be mentally and psychologically restrictive. Do what you need and don't worry about what you should call yourself. :)

As a side note I like your perspective on energies. I like to think of it sort of in the terms of a "FullMetal Alchemist" type analogy. You channel not only the energy from stuff around you but use your own to connect with frequencies that most closely resonate with you.

Tags: