Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: My Runic Path  (Read 19831 times)

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
Re: My Runic Path
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 09:07:08 pm »
Quote from: Suba;190957
One of the things Ehwaz has brought up is getting me on my horse and taking charge of my life. This brings to mind Raido, but instead of sitting inside my cozy hall taking it easy, I’m actually on the hard and difficult road confronting my neediness on one hand, and seeking fulfillment on the other.

For Ehwaz I acquired some horse hair that I braided into a necklace. Below are the pictures. I wear it all the time.  

Love the necklace! I've always wanted a horse hair necklace or bracelet, but just haven't found the horse yet whose hair I wanted to keep, I guess.

Also, just a reminder as SIG leader that it's best practice to go ahead and make separate posts for separate replies (i.e. one quote per post). Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
  • Religion: Heathen
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 07:09:07 am »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;190971
Its called "A Practical Guide To The Runes" by Lisa Paschel.

Blessings Friendly_Viking,

I just read that book recently. Peschel definitely comes from the New Age perspective, particularly those that follow in Blum’s footsteps.  

For the most part I feel Peschel offers one of the better New Age introductions to the Runes. I still have a few to read, but from what I’ve seen so far, it’s the simplest and most accessible. Take in mind this does not account for the other schools, particularly the Traditionalist, Revivalist, and Thorsson Schools.

I have done a review of her book. You can find it here with the other Rune books I’ve reviewed: http://sohmpublishing.com/index.php/reviews/reviews-by-topic#Runes

For clarities sake this is how I break down the different Runic Streams/Branches/Schools of Thought:

Traditional (Eddas and Sagas)
Revivalist (Plowright)
Icelandic Grimoires (Huld, Sorcerer’s Screed, Rún, Galdrabok, et cetera)
Germanic (List, Kummer, Marby, Shou, Spiesberger, et cetera)
Thorsson (Early works that mix Germanic and Revivalist Schools)
Christian/Kabbalistic (Bureus and Osborn/Longland)
New Age (Blum, Meadows, Tyson, Cooper, Willis, Peschel, et cetera)
Left-Hand Path (Thorsson’s ALU text is the only one I know of)
Pathworkings/Cultivation (What I'm seeking to solidify)

Be Blessed,
Suba

Grimnir Thrymsson

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 11:33:32 am »
Quote from: Suba;191015
Blessings Friendly_Viking,

For clarities sake this is how I break down the different Runic Streams/Branches/Schools of Thought:

Traditional (Eddas and Sagas)
Revivalist (Plowright)
Icelandic Grimoires (Huld, Sorcerer’s Screed, Rún, Galdrabok, et cetera)
Germanic (List, Kummer, Marby, Shou, Spiesberger, et cetera)
Thorsson (Early works that mix Germanic and Revivalist Schools)
Christian/Kabbalistic (Bureus and Osborn/Longland)
New Age (Blum, Meadows, Tyson, Cooper, Willis, Peschel, et cetera)
Left-Hand Path (Thorsson’s ALU text is the only one I know of)
Pathworkings/Cultivation (What I'm seeking to solidify)

Be Blessed,
Suba

Nice way to classify the different schools of thought on the Runes. There are many ways to look at and approach the runes, and each person will have their own experiences. I like looking at all of the different "flavors" and then add my own UPG to come up with an even deeper understanding of each rune or combination of runes.
Ralph Blum even states in his "Book of Runes" (I am paraphrasing) that those are his own interpretations and that each person may have different views.

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 10:17:54 pm »
Quote from: Grimnir Thrymsson;191020
I like looking at all of the different "flavors" and then add my own UPG to come up with an even deeper understanding of each rune or combination of runes.

Me too. If you think of another flavor/stream let me know. I'm trying to get a complete picture of the different Runic Systems out there.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 10:41:01 pm »
Quote from: Suba;191015

I'm curious where you'd file Paxton.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 02:24:14 am »
Quote from: Jack;191049
I'm curious where you'd file Paxton.

Blessings Jack,

That’s an interesting question. On one side she definitely embraces and quotes extensively from traditional sources: Eddas and Sagas. On the other hand she is not afraid to learn from many different sources and integrate what she’s learned into her Path.

Her rituals are definitely influenced by modern pagan calls but I would not have noticed if I hadn’t worked with them myself. The reason why, is that, she strips away the verbiage and infuses reliable and reasonable Nordic terminology, and even goes so far as to adapt scenes, words, and stories from the Sagas and Eddas into her rituals (page 399 is one example).

Her meditations are simple and helpful when it comes to touching in with the Runes. Some of the meditations are reminiscent of shamanic practices while others obviously come from her own personal experiences.

I know from my research that she has been influenced by Thorsson, at least, his earlier writings, but at the same time she has definitely created her own system, especially with her two-Rune combinations, yearlong study course, and involved rituals. All of this suggests she’s a fusionist.  

While categorizing is never a perfect science or art, for the sake of entrainment I would file Paxson in at least four categories: Revivalist, Ritualistic (Grimoires), Thorssonist, and Pathworking, as she does focus a lot on personal cultivation.

Take in mind the Runic Streams as I understand them, are not cut in stone. It’s just a convenient way for me to grasp a bigger picture of the different Runic perspectives and schools of thought. Having said that, what do you think about my Paxson filing: do you agree?  

Be Blessed,
Suba

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 03:53:23 pm »
Quote from: Suba;191054
Take in mind the Runic Streams as I understand them, are not cut in stone. It’s just a convenient way for me to grasp a bigger picture of the different Runic perspectives and schools of thought. Having said that, what do you think about my Paxson filing: do you agree?  

I'm inclined to agree - I asked because I feel her work covers a wide field of classification. What I like about her is that she offers a complete, fairly consistent magical system that's based on the runes; I guess you could also argue that she's a fork unto herself in that sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 05:59:08 am »
Quote from: Suba;190090
My plan for this thread is to share weekly insights, experiences, and/or beliefs arising from my Runic Journey.

Wild Boar Incisor
[/B]

One of my most powerful teachers was also one of the darkest people I’ve known.

As soon as I touch in with Ingwaz,
activating the Rune with my blood,
I found myself drawn to one of my books.

Opening it,
there was a note from him –
another energetic hook to sever.

I burned the note,
threw away the book,
and disengaged my consciousness from him.

I did what Boars do:
dig up roots.
While there have been many beautiful and powerful experiences and gifts from Ingwaz, one of the more powerful was that experience of finding this note from someone I had long disconnected with (13 years). As I stood there looking at the note, all I could think of was how powerful this Runic experience has been.

After burning the note and throwing away the book I felt empowered,
for the Runes are Power
and those that wield/embody them are Powerful.
So I asked myself, “How are the Runes empowering?”

There's no need for external validation.
There's strength where there was none
There's clarity
Certainty
Will.

There's no maliciousness
no jealousy
no uncontrolled anger
no disruptive or depleting desires,
for there's fulfillment at levels unimaginable:
ever expanding and deepening.

There's knowledge of self,
and control over ones actions and thought.

There's understanding and wisdom.
There's a coming into one's own.

These are a few gifts I’ve received so far.

My altar as of 05/16/2016
[/B]

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 12:07:59 pm »
Quote from: Suba;191644
While there have been many beautiful and powerful experiences and gifts from Ingwaz, one of the more powerful was that experience of finding this note from someone I had long disconnected with (13 years). As I stood there looking at the note, all I could think of was how powerful this Runic experience has been.

I can tell how powerful this experience was by your description, wow! It can be such a punch in the gut coming across something like that, knowing it was in your space this entire time. If it happens to me again I will likely think of what you wrote here.

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 01:47:38 am »
Quote from: Jack;191671
I can tell how powerful this experience was by your description, wow! It can be such a punch in the gut coming across something like that, knowing it was in your space this entire time.

Blessings Jack,

That's an apt way of describing the experience. There's also this awe-ness, almost sublime experience as well. It's moments like these that highlight the magicalness of life. It's also a good sign when synchronicities keep happening, for it lets us know we're resonating with our environment.

Blessings Be...

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 07:19:23 am »
Quote from: Suba;190090
My plan for this thread is to share weekly insights, experiences, and/or beliefs arising from my Runic Journey.

Aurochs Fossil (fused central and 4th tarsal)
[/B]

I thought Uruz would come easy, I mean, I am a Taurus, that’s bound to count for something.

It didn’t.

One of the general associations with Uruz is strength, which, in some ways I am definitely strong. For instance, going through this Runic process even though it’s turned out to be way more intense and difficult than I planned. On the other hand, when it comes to pain and discomfort I pretty much do whatever I can to avoid it. That’s not a bad thing, mind you, but when it comes to courage and strength, it’s not the best thing either.

So how does Uruz help me with this?

Not the way I wanted it to. I wanted to invite Uruz into my life, and poof, I would be strong and courageous. That’s not how it works.

In fact, what Uruz has shown me so far is where I am weak, areas that need shoring up, things that need to be confronted, et cetera. Needless to say, I've got plenty to work with.

One area I'm confronting myself on is my fear of pain. I mean, come on, who the hell wants to step on a nail if they don’t have to? In the same way, I would never choose to hunt, much less, confront an Aurochs, but if it came down to protecting my kin, I would fight it to the death.

But beyond extreme circumstances like that, I would hike a good way around it so as to never come in conflict with it. The only problem with that in life is, if we’re always going out of our way to avoid discomfort and pain, we’ll miss out on a lot of things in life: love for instance.

So how am I confronting my dislike of pain, I am slowly, ever so slowly, piercing myself with the thorn to draw blood. Before I would quickly jab my skin, now I push it in and feel three layers of skin break before blood flows.

If I’m to be truthful, it’s really sucked. The first time I did it, I pierced every finger just to prove to myself that I wasn’t afraid. I was.

Today though,
as I pierced myself again,
I was less afraid.
My body did not tighten like before.
I didn’t grind my teeth
and I didn’t resist or pull away.

It hurt,
but I wasn’t afraid.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 02:38:53 pm »
Quote from: Suba;191882
The only problem with that in life is, if we’re always going out of our way to avoid discomfort and pain, we’ll miss out on a lot of things in life: love for instance.

This is a very powerful thought.

I am really moved reading all your posts....you are opening up and sharing something so very personal.  I can feel the power in your words.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 09:50:01 pm »
Quote from: Suba;191882

It hurt,
but I wasn’t afraid.

I find myself rather enjoying your updates, Suba. I'm curious if / how seidhr influences your project? Or any other historical sources of inspiration for how you're approaching this?
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 02:24:19 am »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;191914
I find myself rather enjoying your updates, Suba. I'm curious if / how seidhr influences your project? Or any other historical sources of inspiration for how you're approaching this?

Blessings Hyacinth Belle,

While I have not specifically worked with Seiðr, I am very much in-line with its approach as I am inclined to the internal arts, specifically opening myself to energies in order to direct them rather than externally controlling them with Galdr – though I do that as well. I am also prone to consciously linking with other conscious forms of life, which is akin to shapeshifting, but only within the mind and not in body. When I was younger I also had a few Berserker like frenzies that the neighbor kids found entertaining and disturbing: I would transform into a mountain lion or bear and then chase the older kids, wanting to tear their flesh, as they ran from me laughing. I was seven years old.  

As for historical sources of inspiration, I don’t have any. The process I’m going through is completely up to the Runes. I just opened to them with no preconception of what’s supposed to happen. My only condition was that I sought empowerment. And while that word has grown to include nearly every facet of my life, in the beginning it was just about me finding my Truth and Living it: being authentic and trusting in myself.

I have worked with the esoteric arts for many years, having studied/practiced everything from eastern mysticism and yoga, to continental magic/grimoires and everything in between. During that time the Divinational Paths I worked with were the Tarot and Astrology. While these systems share some commonalities with the Runes, in reality they are very different. That’s one reason why I love the Runes – it’s a whole different paradigm.

On top of that, I have connected with my roots. I was born in Germany, but was brought to America before I was one. Within a year I was given up for adoption, lived in foster homes and facilities before being adopted at five only to be rejected again at 13. Between 13 and 19 I lived in different youth prisons and group homes before I went AWOL and started traveling around the country for six years.

It’s a discombobulated story for sure, my point being, I’ve had a difficult time finding my ground, my roots. 2016 has become the year of setting down roots. Not only in where I live, but with my family and with the connection to my ancestral roots which the Runes have been instrumental in bringing about.  

I hope this answered you questions.

My book, A Different Road: From Bum to Mystic talks abut my travels and some of the magical experiences that brought me to where I am at. I’ve started reading it on YouTube if you’re interested:

Be Blessed

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 05:23:04 am »
Quote from: Froði Ingsson;190090

When I first opened to Jera it was a blundering experience. I acquired a wheat stalk to represent and channel Jera, as one of its associations is about the harvest, only, when I colored the Rune and offered my blood nothing happened.

I knew all the traditional and not so traditional meanings and associations, which usually helps me connect with the Rune, but this time, nothing. It wasn’t until I was preparing to move into Eihwaz that something clicked: time.

One experience I’ve been having with Jera is fluctuations in time. I’ve been off my game since I’ve open to Jera.

So I researched my power object: wheat was not a regular grain of the north. There is evidence of it being grown in Sweden, but beyond that, barley and rye were the grains of the north. So I got barley, planted some, and activated the rest with my blood.

That’s when I felt Jera’s energy flow.

Be it psychological or sub-energetic levels of being, the experience was beyond words.

Now I find myself playing with my perception and experience of time. Those “forever moments” like waiting for the bell to ring, a person to come, or a thing to happen, are all examples of time slowing down. Having a great time, hanging with friends, being engrossed within a novel or movie are all examples of time speeding up.

Two things I’ve observed from these experiences is that time seems to slow down the more focused I am, and appears to speed up when I’m fully engaged and joyful.

Another fascinating experience I’m having is time’s mutability. I’ve accomplish more in five minutes than in twenty merely by having the thought that I have plenty of time. The way I experience time is directly connected to my perception of it.

It’s pretty cool.  

Which brings me to an interesting lesson I’ve learned: the more present I am in the moment the less time has control over my life. I’m not claiming immortality or any other such power, it’s just a fact that when I’m fully present with what I’m doing, time no longer seems to be a controlling factor in my life.

In the past I’ve struggled with time: there’s just not enough of it, it goes by too quickly, how can I fit everything in, when is it due, I have to work, I need to sleep, I can’t wait, and so on. These thoughts no longer infect my mind.

In fact, for the last few months I’ve been less forward thinking and less caught/identified with my past than ever before in my life. Jera has intensified that experience a thousand fold, for now I’m consciously aware of the process.  

While I still plan and look forward to things, I no longer suffer because something is in the future or in the past. I’m completely invested in the present moment, and that’s where I want to be.

Tags: