Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: ADMIN: Move to SMF Planned for April 17-April 24. Board Down Once It Starts.  (Read 3454 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Unless real life throws something at me, I plan to move the board to SMF next week and then upgrade the Server OS. Unfortunately, this is a long and complex process. Even more unfortunately, this board will have to be closed for posting the minute I make a copy of the database to use to move its contents to SMF (as any messages posted here after that point would simply disappear into the bit bucket.)

An outline of the entire procedure follows:

1) Install a new copy of SMF to the server.
2) Close this message board to new posts.
3) Move attachments from this board from the file system to the database (so attachments will move to the new board)
3) Convert this board's database to SMF.
4) Test things. Repeat 3 if needed.

Note: None of the following steps can happen until the database is converted to SMF as the SMF board has to be unmodified and the database empty for the import to work.

5) Install a huge number of mods to the new SMF board. This might take two days. I have played with this on a test board to get the order of mod installs to the most efficient, but it still takes time to install and test each one.

6) Setup usergroups, permissions, etc. on the new SMF forum. This will an error-prone procedure.

7) Test things.

8) Open board for posting to test for problems. If problems, close board and return to step 6.

9) Once board is working, backup everything.

10) Remove current  vbulletin board then upgrade server OS.

11) Test things.

12) Reopen everything.

At best this will probably take 4 days of work. At worst, 7-8 days of work. This assumes no external issues beyond my control (Lyricfox have medical issues, my internet going out for days, WW3 breaking out, etc.) which would add the above times as time spend dealing with anything like that would be time work was not being done.

Yes, this will be a real pain to do from my end and a long length of time without the board open from your end. Like it or not, it has to be done, however.

Comments and questions are welcome.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Quote from: RandallS;190054
Comments and questions are welcome.

I'd just like to add that, if anyone has anything (post content, group descriptions, photos, etc) in the Social Groups area that they don't want to lose, you need to grab it and save it to your own computer in the next four days.

We expect to be able to import everything else, but as with any move, online or in meatlife, there's almost always something that gets lost or broken, so if there's anything in other VBulletin parts of TC - forums, the Wiki, etc - that it'd break your heart if it happened to be the thing that got lost, save that too.

I just realized there's a thing I hadn't asked Randall about whether it'd be imported to SMF or not: PMs. Randall?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Quote from: SunflowerP;190056
I just realized there's a thing I hadn't asked Randall about whether it'd be imported to SMF or not: PMs. Randall?

I believe PMs will be imported, but I'm not 100% sure.  I know social groups will not be, unfortunately.  The new forum will have social groups people can set up, but the old ones will not transfer.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;190063

Even through we haven't used it in over three years, our "free forums" backup is still there and I still have admin access to it:

http://ecauldron.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Register an account there if you don't have one and people can use this board during the move.
Randall

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Quote from: RandallS;190065
Even through we haven't used it in over three years, our "free forums" backup is still there and I still have admin access to it:

Register an account there if you don't have one and people can use this board during the move.

Good - for that long of a shutdown period, I was thinking we'd really need a backup.

I've copypasted the current rules as a reply to your rules post, since the ones you have there are from '07. It's just quick'n'dirty for now, no formatting; I'll pretty it up if and as I find time, but I figured having it there was the most important thing.

I've also posted a reminder notice that people have to make sure they use the 'quote' button, not the 'reply' button, when replying.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Quote from: SunflowerP;190084
I've copypasted the current rules as a reply to your rules post, since the ones you have there are from '07. It's just quick'n'dirty for now, no formatting; I'll pretty it up if and as I find time, but I figured having it there was the most important thing.

Excellent. Thank you very much!
Randall

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Quote from: RandallS;190065

Thank you guys for doing all this work!  I'm assuming there will be a post on the backup forums when the new ones are ready?
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kylara;190096
Thank you guys for doing all this work!  I'm assuming there will be a post on the backup forums when the new ones are ready?

Definitely!

On, and our chat area, CaudronMUX, will remain up through most of this (assuming no chat issues, that is). It is separate software from this message board so it should be up until the actual server software update at the end of the process.
Randall

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;190054
Unless real life throws something at me, I plan to move the board to SMF next week and then upgrade the Server OS.

This will be starting sometime this morning (without any further warning). Please use the backup board -- http://ecauldron.smfforfree4.com/index.php
Randall

Tags: