Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Differences between Germanic Paganism groups  (Read 4760 times)

Valdi

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Differences between Germanic Paganism groups
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:16:22 am »
What are the differences between the various Germanic Pagan groups?

I know some of them, for example, the difference between the Ásatrúar and the Vanatrúar is whether one worships the Æsir or Vanir predominantly.

However, what about certain groups?

What are the differences between, Fyrnsidu and Theodism, and Forn Siðr and Germanic Paganism Heathenry? Is Forn Siðr and its translations merely a way of saying "Germanic Pagan", or something else?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Differences between Germanic Paganism groups
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:31:38 pm »
Quote from: Valdi;19900

I know some of them, for example, the difference between the Ásatrúar and the Vanatrúar is whether one worships the Æsir or Vanir predominantly.

What are the differences between, Fyrnsidu and Theodism, and Forn Siðr and Germanic Paganism Heathenry? Is Forn Siðr and its translations merely a way of saying "Germanic Pagan", or something else?

Im not exactly sure, myself.

Asatru is a more Icelandic based Folkways in heathenry. To me, it implies a group that's a bit more organized, political and revivalist more than reconstructionists. It isn't necessarily a catch-all phrase for heathenry. Someone who is Asatru can correct me.

Vanatru are groups that focus on the Vanatru, in the beliefs that they are a more nature-based tribe within the gods. Someone who is vanatru can correct me.

Basically, the other groups are ones that focus on a specific culture within Germanic heathenry, usually with some organization. There are Frankish heathens, Celtic heathens, Anglo-saxon heathens and so on (tho, I don't know who goes with what name). Usually these smaller cultures have their own cultic practices and 'laws' and structure.

Myself, my interests lie in continental Germanic heathenry, but Im still working on understanding the broader scope of heathenry itself, so I'm not sure of specific subsets within it etc.  The information of rites, mythology, tribes sort of blend though.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Valdi

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:11:56 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;20064
Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Not to worry. This is something I'm very interested in, and I'd like to see explanations for the differences. At the moment my idea is something like this:

Ásatrú = Worshipping the Æsir predominantly or solely
Vanatrú = Worshipping the Vanir predominantly or solely
Rökkatru = Worshipping the Jötnar predominantly or solely

Theodism = Folkish, one worships solely in community (what I've read)
Fyrnsidu = Anglo-Saxon Heathenry, possibly more universalist?
Odinism = I'm not sure how this differs from Theodism too much, other than maybe one can worship alone as well?

The differences become incredibly confusing.

hlewagastir

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 08:23:42 am »
Quote from: Valdi;20413
Not to worry. This is something I'm very interested in, and I'd like to see explanations for the differences. At the moment my idea is something like this:

Ásatrú = Worshipping the Æsir predominantly or solely
Vanatrú = Worshipping the Vanir predominantly or solely
Rökkatru = Worshipping the Jötnar predominantly or solely

Theodism = Folkish, one worships solely in community (what I've read)
Fyrnsidu = Anglo-Saxon Heathenry, possibly more universalist?
Odinism = I'm not sure how this differs from Theodism too much, other than maybe one can worship alone as well?

The differences become incredibly confusing.

Here´s my 0.2:

When you define yourself as a heathen you need to decide on or at least consider some issues.
1) Will I go with some kind of "all encompassing" idea of heathenry where everything which smells of heathenry from Germany to Iceland is of equal value and weight to my practices/ideas of Heathenry? Or will I focus on a specific local area and the sources which are interesting in that regard.
2) Will I be using a reconstructionistic approach, and if yes; what will I reconstruct and how much will I rely on it in my culture and cult?
3) What kind of sources will I rely on (primary, secondary academic sources, secondary non-academic sources, tertiary sources, UPG), and how much will these sources inspire/dictate my religion and worldview.

You got Asatru, Odinism and Theodism (while they are tribe/community orientated, they are often Anglo Saxon too) wrong.
Since the 1 to 3 Vanir we know of are part of the Aesir tribe they are encompassed by Asatru too
In recon circles "Asatru" denotes a focus on pre-Christian Icelandic Heathenry (since it´s a constructed Icelandic word from the 60s or 70s - I think).

Outside of recon circles "Asatru" denotes paganism with any kind of Norse flavour... Actually, the meaning of Asatru have changed a bit over they years; so "paganism based on Nordic gods" might be more like it.

Odinism... Many racists among them, pan-aryan, bad history... That´s my experience with them so far.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:28:09 am by hlewagastir »

Valdi

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:16:25 pm »
Quote from: hlewagastir;20421
You got Asatru, Odinism and Theodism (while they are tribe/community orientated, they are often Anglo Saxon too) wrong.

That isn't surprising. Would you be willing to correct it and add more information to them for me, please?

Outside of recon circles "Asatru" denotes paganism with any kind of Norse flavour... Actually, the meaning of Asatru have changed a bit over they years; so "paganism based on Nordic gods" might be more like it.

That's the way I've come to understand it. Is there a subtle nuance I'm missing?

Odinism... Many racists among them, pan-aryan, bad history... That´s my experience with them so far.

Yeah, that's true. From what I've read, the Odinic Rite are the only Heathen path with any representation as a Heathen religion in the UK. Unfortunately I don't think that's helping the misconceptions of Heathenry that many seem to have.

hlewagastir

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 06:48:43 am »
Quote from: Valdi;20473
That isn't surprising. Would you be willing to correct it and add more information to them for me, please?

I have already provided you with some. Search this board and other boards (as Exile asked you to do on Asatrulore ;) ). The opinions of the different groups on the internet will differ on what and who terms such as Asatru and Heathenry encompasses.

That's the way I've come to understand it. Is there a subtle nuance I'm missing?

Well one of the nuances being that Asatru denotes something different in recon circles... Again search this and other boards (such as Asatrulore).

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:32:08 pm »
Quote from: Valdi;19900

I get really confused on Yahoo groups when I'm trying to find a Heathen/Norse group and I get all this other stuff. Makes my eyes roll.

Tags: