Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Our Miserable Future  (Read 7209 times)

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Our Miserable Future
« on: April 09, 2016, 05:01:36 pm »
The following are discussion points.
Nothing that is said is meant as a bald statement of fact that must be accepted by anyone who reads it.
Disagreement w/any one or all of the statements is FINE.

After having listened to a series of lectures by physicist Lawrence Krauss, I made the following notes, summarizing what I got from his lectures ("Our Miserable Future", "The Secret Lives of Physicists") ...

1) The "Game" (TG) began long before humanity existed - and will continue long after humanity has become extinct. [The "Game" = the struggle for life in a hostile Universe][Krauss did not call it the "Game" - I did, given his assertion that things only matter here and now, that, eventually, they mean nothing at all]

2) The rules of TG are both simple and immutable: a) survive for as long as feasible; b) leave a tangible mark of one's existence, if possible (for most of what lives, this means simply reproducing); c) then die and be forgotten*[1].

* Not even the famous are truly remembered for long. What is remembered, instead, is the person's legend - the stories that others tell about the famous person. Many of these stories are inaccurate; some of these stories are lies.

[1] What happens here matters only so much for so long and, then, it matters not at all - forever. The planet, the solar system, the galaxy itself will all be gone eventually, all violently transformed into new things w/few if any clues to their pasts. Make no mistake: humanity is doomed to extinction, as is everything that exists. In time, every human artifact will be wiped from the Universe, so that there will be no discernible trace anywhere. As important as our lives are to us, on the Cosmic Scale, they weigh - and mean - nothing. [Our galaxy is on a collision path w/the Andromeda galaxy - but our Sun will have burned out long before that happens - burned out and taken the solar system w/it ...]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:06:08 pm by DIASPORA-1963 »
MARK aka CELLVLANVS MAGVS
OMNIA DEPENDET!

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Our Miserable Future ...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 05:10:36 pm »
Quote from: DIASPORA-1963;189758
The following are discussion points.
Nothing that is said is meant as a bald statement of fact that must be accepted by anyone who reads it.
Disagreement w/any one or all of the statements is FINE.

After having listened to a series of lectures by physicist Lawrence Krauss, I made the following notes, summarizing what I got from his lectures ("Our Miserable Future", "The Secret Lives of Physicists") ...

1) The "Game" (TG) began long before humanity existed - and will continue long after humanity has become extinct. [The "Game" = the struggle for life in a hostile Universe][Krauss did not call it the "Game" - I did, given his assertion that things only matter here and now, that, eventually, they mean nothing at all]

2) The rules of TG are both simple and immutable: a) survive for as long as feasible; b) leave a tangible mark of one's existence, if possible (for most of what lives, this means simply reproducing); c) then die and be forgotten*[1].

* Not even the famous are truly remembered for long. What is remembered, instead, is the person's legend - the stories that others tell about the famous person. Many of these stories are inaccurate; some of these stories are lies.

[1] What happens here matters only so much for so long and, then, it matters not at all - forever. The planet, the solar system, the galaxy itself will all be gone eventually, all violently transformed into new things w/few if any clues to their pasts. Make no mistake: humanity is doomed to extinction, as is everything that exists. In time, every human artifact will be wiped from the Universe, so that there will be no discernible trace anywhere. As important as our lives are to us, on the Cosmic Scale, they weigh - and mean - nothing. [Our galaxy is on a collision path w/the Andromeda galaxy - but our Sun will have burned out long before that happens - burned out and taken the solar system w/it ...]

So...what are we even discussing here? I see a series of statements.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:17:07 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;189759

All I know is that all I am seeing in my head is this.

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 05:26:36 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;189759

Do you agree w/them - disagree w/them? What do you have to say about them? I left out my own opinion of them for the time being.
OMNIA DEPENDET!

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 05:33:31 pm »
Quote from: DIASPORA-1963;189762
Do you agree w/them - disagree w/them? What do you have to say about them? I left out my own opinion of them for the time being.

I'm not sure there's much room for debating that things are born, then they live for a while, then they die.

I mean, it's not really a thing that merits an opinion. I mean, I don't particularly have an opinion regarding gravity or Kepler's laws of planetary motion either.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 05:40:33 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;189763
I'm not sure there's much room for debating that things are born, then they live for a while, then they die.

I mean, it's not really a thing that merits an opinion. I mean, I don't particularly have an opinion regarding gravity or Kepler's laws of planetary motion either.

What about an afterlife? What about reincarnation? Maybe Buddha was right - the phenomenal world is illusion ...
OMNIA DEPENDET!

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 05:48:38 pm »
Quote from: DIASPORA-1963;189764
What about an afterlife? What about reincarnation? Maybe Buddha was right - the phenomenal world is illusion ...

You do realize that you're off-shoring your discussion construction to others, yes? If you weren't ready to formulate a discussion lead-in, then perhaps you should have considered not starting a new discussion topic until you had one prepared.

Personally, I don't really like it when someone asks me to do all the discussional heavy lifting without having bothered to do any themselves beforehand.

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 05:53:31 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;189765
You do realize that you're off-shoring your discussion construction to others, yes? If you weren't ready to formulate a discussion lead-in, then perhaps you should have considered not starting a new discussion topic until you had one prepared.

Personally, I don't really like it when someone asks me to do all the discussional heavy lifting without having bothered to do any themselves beforehand.

Well, I was trying to avoid a problem that I had in another thread - coming across as uninterested in other people's opinions.

As far as the physical Universe goes, Krauss is almost certainly right.

As far as the spiritual realm, I do not know; however, I do like to believe that it does not depend upon the physical Universe for its survival - but I could be wrong ...
OMNIA DEPENDET!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 06:15:45 pm »

Sounds like an argument for pursuing apotheosis and bailing on the "game". If I'm immortal I don't give a shit about being forgotten. XD
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 06:26:00 pm »
[Our galaxy is on a collision path w/the Andromeda galaxy - but our Sun will have burned out long before that happens - burned out and taken the solar system w/it ...]

That's not quite correct, the sun will probably not even reach it's full red giant stage until 6-7 billion years from now, well after the Milky War and the Andromeda Galaxy have collided and merged into a single galaxy. The Earth will likely be uninhabitable long before that as the sun's temperature will continue to increase until it starts its red giant stage. The sun itself will collapse to a white dwarf at the end of it red giant stage where it will remain for many billions of years before actually burning out. This doesn't affect the main point, of course.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 06:27:48 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;189763

Yep.  There's no there there.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 06:38:43 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;189770
That's not quite correct, the sun will probably not even reach it's full red giant stage until 6-7 billion years from now, well after the Milky War and the Andromeda Galaxy have collided and merged into a single galaxy. The Earth will likely be uninhabitable long before that as the sun's temperature will continue to increase until it starts its red giant stage. The sun itself will collapse to a white dwarf at the end of it red giant stage where it will remain for many billions of years before actually burning out. This doesn't affect the main point, of course.

Ah, thank you ... I'd been given a rather different time line - are you sure about the 6-7 billion years? How long before the Earth becomes uninhabitable? Certainly much sooner.
OMNIA DEPENDET!

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 06:40:59 pm »
Quote from: Jack;189767
Sounds like an argument for pursuing apotheosis and bailing on the "game". If I'm immortal I don't give a shit about being forgotten. XD

OK. But the Egyptians thought that one could not be immortal if one were forgotten. Obviously you think that they were wrong - ?
OMNIA DEPENDET!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 06:42:35 pm »
Quote from: DIASPORA-1963;189764

If that's what you wanted to have a discussion about, it would have been much clearer if you'd said so in your OP. There was nothing whatsoever in there to indicate that these were the topics you wanted to discuss.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 06:43:23 pm »

Like others have pointed out, my thought on this are the same as my thoughts on gravity. Essentially, 'Okay, that's a thing. Anyway.'

Now, what Jack brought up about apotheosis...that's interesting to me. Can't comment right now because of time, but ooh, I have thoughts on that. They're probably all wrong or off-the-mark but, apotheosis, the universe, destruction...ah, now that I love. Will say more when I have the time!

Tags: