Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: TV/Film: National Geo Special "Story of God"  (Read 2387 times)

Runt

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
National Geo Special "Story of God"
« on: April 03, 2016, 10:46:12 am »
Wasn't sure where to post this, so please move it if not appropriate for this section.

Just curious if anyone planning on watching the National Geographic series, the Story of God. First episode is suppose to air tonight.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:27:15 pm by RandallS »

Flaming Tsunami

• View Profile
Re: National Geo Special "Story of God"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 04:36:27 am »
Quote from: Runt;189408
Wasn't sure where to post this, so please move it if not appropriate for this section.

Just curious if anyone planning on watching the National Geographic series, the Story of God. First episode is suppose to air tonight.

I just caught up with all the episodes I've missed since it started airing and I plan on continuing to watch it.

It's very interesting! One thing I was worried about was that it was going to either a) frame everything in a Judeo-Christian light or b) treat everything as fictional. I'm really happy that comparing things to the Christian view is really only done to compare and contrast. The flow of the episodes means that the same kind of comparing and contrasting happens between other faiths, as well, so it doesn't come off as "Let's see what those other people think compared to our Christian ways."

As for the second, it tends to approach all of the various religions it discusses as if they are true (not all true at the same time, but true until they're done talking about it). Morgan often appears to grapple with accepting the views, but the language around them doesn't discount them, which I think is really cool.

I am waiting to see the ultimate variety of beliefs and practices they decide to feature. Zoroastrianism came up in the last episode, so it was great to see a minority religion. Every episode has featured visits to ancient Egyptian tombs, but they haven't mentioned anything about current Kemetic pagan practice. That means the only explicit mention of a pagan path that I can remember was in the episode on evil. A former neo-Nazi mentioned that he was a pagan during that time and dropped paganism along with neo-Nazism. I'm really hoping they talk about some pagan system or another to clear out that quick puff of bad air. I'd hate for the only mention of it in the entire series to be "I needed to transform into a good person, so I stopped being a pagan."
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:38:28 am by Flaming Tsunami »

Tags: