Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: New to Asatru  (Read 1944 times)

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
New to Asatru
« on: March 30, 2016, 05:28:42 pm »
Hello,

I am new to paganism. I found my way back in October of 2015 and since then have looked at Wicca, but over the past 2 months I have felt a strong pull to the Norse Gods and in my studies have found Asatru. I would really love some more insight into Asatru. Any good resources out there to help me?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: New to Asatru
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 07:07:20 pm »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;189221
Hello,

I am new to paganism. I found my way back in October of 2015 and since then have looked at Wicca, but over the past 2 months I have felt a strong pull to the Norse Gods and in my studies have found Asatru. I would really love some more insight into Asatru. Any good resources out there to help me?

You'll likely want to take a look at our Asatru and Heathenry SIG, especially the stickied resource threads (but do read the discussion threads as well).

I noticed in your intro post that you mentioned Ed Fitch's Rites of Odin - this is not a good resource, being basically just 'Wicca in a horned helmet'. Fitch is a Gardnerian Wiccan, not a Heathen, and what he doesn't know about Asatru and other Heathen religions would (and does) fill several books. His more Wiccish books (Magical Rites from the Crystal Well and Grimoire of Shadows) are okay (their purpose is to provide material for folks who don't have access to BTW covens for training, but who want a Wicca-flavored pagan practice), and I imagine the Wiccanesque parts of Rites of Odin are sound enough, but it's at best a Wiccish approach to honoring Norse deities, and will tell you nothing about Asatru.

Sunflower
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:07:43 pm by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 09:27:58 pm »
Hello,

Generally, an understanding of the cultural context in which Asatru was practiced can be very helpful to understanding the religion. Sadly, there are not many easily accessible/understandable books out there about pre-christian Germanic societies. The Culture of the Teutons, though a bit old and dated, is still considered by many modern heathens to be an excellent resource. It is widely available as a pdf (for example - here) . It is a hefty, dense book, and probably best dealt with slowly by a beginner.

"Norse Mythology for Smart People" has its flaws, but it is a fairly comprehensive overview of both existing Norse Mythology as well as an overview of some concepts - like polytheism, etc. which are useful for understanding the religious ideas expressed in the myths.

Finally, Odroerir is an excellent source with original and academic articles. Much of the content is quite advanced, however, and I would recommend starting with the works contained on that site a bit further down the line.

I hope your search goes well! I am a bit jealous of you as a newcomer to the religion, as learning about Asatru was a very exciting experience for me.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 03:55:54 am »
Hello,

I do not practice Asatrú/Fornsi∂r/Heathenry myself, but I am interested in it from a historical point of view (We read about it in history class already in primary school here).

Most books I have read about the matter is in Swedish, and some of the books I read in English in the past are dated now, like Dumezil. Avoid Dumezil.

Just a few thoughts, though. If you take a look at the Icelandic calendar, the Winter blót  falls in last week of January, the Victory blót falls in last week of April, Old Midsummer (not the modern time Swedish one) falls in last week of July and the Elves Blót falls in last week of October. The modern obsession with Equinoxes and Solstices does not come from Iron Age Scandinavia.

In Havamal 144 four activities constitute a sacrifice: To pray, to blót, to send and to soa. If you want to practice Fornsi∂r in a reasonably reconstructionist fashion, it is probably useful to give these four segments some study and thought, even if there is some internal discussions among adherents about exactly what these words mean in the context.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:58:18 am by RecycledBenedict »

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 03:44:55 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;189228
You'll likely want to take a look at our Asatru and Heathenry SIG, especially the stickied resource threads (but do read the discussion threads as well).

I noticed in your intro post that you mentioned Ed Fitch's Rites of Odin - this is not a good resource, being basically just 'Wicca in a horned helmet'. Fitch is a Gardnerian Wiccan, not a Heathen, and what he doesn't know about Asatru and other Heathen religions would (and does) fill several books. His more Wiccish books (Magical Rites from the Crystal Well and Grimoire of Shadows) are okay (their purpose is to provide material for folks who don't have access to BTW covens for training, but who want a Wicca-flavored pagan practice), and I imagine the Wiccanesque parts of Rites of Odin are sound enough, but it's at best a Wiccish approach to honoring Norse deities, and will tell you nothing about Asatru.

Sunflower

Thanks for setting me straight on the book. I felt there was some information regarding the gods but I will look for other sources.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:14:55 am »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;189274
Thanks for setting me straight on the book. I felt there was some information regarding the gods but I will look for other sources.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/index.htm is a great free resource for the myths and a great place to start.

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 10:06:29 am »
Quote from: Holdasown;189295
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/index.htm is a great free resource for the myths and a great place to start.

Thanks for the link!!

Grimnir Thrymsson

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 12:43:01 pm »
Hello,

Hail and Welcome to the Folk! Here is a link to our groups info page on Asatru. There are quite a few links and info there to sift through. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. My journey on the Asatru path has been very interesting and rewarding in many ways and I hope it proves to be a valuable to you.

http://www.irminsul.org/as/asr.html

Tags: