Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What rituals do you perform?  (Read 4832 times)

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
What rituals do you perform?
« on: July 04, 2011, 04:01:48 pm »
What do you do to worship your deity/spirit/loa/bodhisattva, etc.?  

What rituals do you perform in your religious/spiritual path?  Why do you perform these rituals?  Are they for a deity or energy of the cosmos, or something else?  

If you don't perform rituals, why not?  

And I'd consider lighting a candle and giving an offering a ritual as well so I'm not trying to limit this to paths that have structured rituals only.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Starglade

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What rituals do you perform?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 05:16:38 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;846

I've been a Bad Buddhist(tm) of late. For the last year or so, really. I've not done a single ritual, lit a candle, nada. Well, then again . . .

While I haven't had a structured practice in that time, I have still recited mantras for various reasons. I've continued with my reading; studies are an integral part of my practice. And in the last couple of weeks I've found renewed interest, for lack of a better term, in restarting my daily practices of mantras in the morning and at night. Finding the best time for these is the greatest challenge for me, but I will prevail. Oh yes, I will.

I would love to someday have a full-blown offering setup, with butter lamps, water bowls, thangkas, the works. I don't see it happening, but I'd love to have it anyway. (There I go, attaching myself to desire again. Heh.)
"The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
http://grammargeddon.com

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 05:40:22 pm »

Not nearly enough!

I have non-active altars set up in my room - that is, they're there and I use them for bigger rituals, but I tend to neglect any regular work on them. This week I'm going to try lighting a candle daily for Brighid and remembering to say grace before meals. :)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 06:05:57 pm »
Quote from: Sage;938
Not nearly enough!

I have non-active altars set up in my room - that is, they're there and I use them for bigger rituals, but I tend to neglect any regular work on them. This week I'm going to try lighting a candle daily for Brighid and remembering to say grace before meals. :)

Heh the only 'regular' anything I do at the moment is studying the ADF's Dedicant Path stuff. Although at Easter when the rest of my family bowed their heads to pray/out of respect I sent up a little prayer to the Kindreds. Hee hee.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 06:17:22 pm »
Quote from: Asch;953
Heh the only 'regular' anything I do at the moment is studying the ADF's Dedicant Path stuff. Although at Easter when the rest of my family bowed their heads to pray/out of respect I sent up a little prayer to the Kindreds. Hee hee.

Me too - although this past month I've let that slip, too. :(
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 06:48:57 pm »
Quote from: Sage;960
Me too - although this past month I've let that slip, too. :(

Honestly the only reason I've been productive on it lately is because I *have* to be, I start two new classes on Wednesday and I have literally zero idea as to the workload so I'm trying to bust out a good chunk of my pre-planned blog posts while I can. :)

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:08:53 pm »

What rituals do you perform in your religious/spiritual path?  Why do you perform these rituals?  Are they for a deity or energy of the cosmos, or something else?  

And I'd consider lighting a candle and giving an offering a ritual as well so I'm not trying to limit this to paths that have structured rituals only.

I used to perform a daily ritual for Set. Why? I'm not sure. I just feel compelled to do so. It was my own adaptation of the daily ritual that is in Reidy's book "Eternal Egypt". I fell out of doing it because I was sent down another path, and I wanted to take some time away from everything, to try and sort things out.

Slowly, I'm working my way back to a daily ritual. I'm not sure exactly how I will format it, but I think i'tll be a blend of what I did before, and Shinto morning rituals. Which sadly, are not too different really.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:35:32 pm »

I don't have much time anymore. My life is entirely focused on my career and my family. It's kind of depressing. :( I always said I never wanted to be one of those people who don't have time for things, but unfortunately, I've become my mother...
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Star

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
What rituals do you perform?
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 07:59:19 pm »

In theory, I perform a Noumenia ritual at the beginning of each lunar month, the form of which I have picked up from Neokoroi:
http://www.neokoroi.org/religion/rituals/noumenia

It's about honoring the Gods, it's about renewal (both of commitment and generally), it's... The beginning of the month.  :)  As I've said in another thread, though, stress is making it difficult for me to remember and plan ahead enough to actually do this every month like I should.  Which only makes things worse, or course--vicious cycle.

I've also been known to do rituals to celebrate holidays/festivals of note.  When I do that, I usually start with the Noumenia ritual outline and add/subtract/modify to suit the occasion.  Usually that means changing which deities are being called upon, which hymn(s) are being recited, and writing a little bit of prayer of my own to describe why I'm doing the ritual (which replaces a similar existing section in the Noumenia ritual).
"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Journal: Star\'s Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Musings: The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 08:04:35 pm »

I believe that one of the jobs of religious witches is to help turn the wheel (seasonal change, help keep things moving, not stagnating), both generally and personally. There is, of course, the rational part of my brain that gets the astronomy and physics and believes that they'll probably continue without my help - but my ritual life is, in part, centered around the idea of paying attention, thoughtfully, at particular points.

Right now, and for the forseeable future (next year or two), group work in my tradition is on hold, so my current practices are relatively simple: sometimes, I plan a particular working, I'm regularly doing a Tarot reading (Christine Jette's _Tarot for all Seasons_ has some nice moon and Sabbat related ones), and I do whatever else makes sense.

I've been doing less formal structure recently, because of other things being up in the air, but I want to change that once I've moved and gotten settled: I miss the framework of the tradition circle (and I don't want to get rusty at it!) and the way it lets me get deeper and more focused in a particularly reliable and meaningful way.

My interactions with the deities I work with myself (as opposed to tradition-related deities) tend to be relatively informal: if I'm doing circle work for myself, I generally invite them (unless the circle's intended to work/honor a different deity), but a lot more commonly, I wander by my shrine, say "Hi!" and wander off again after a moment or three.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 10:11:28 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;1039
I believe that one of the jobs of religious witches is to help turn the wheel (seasonal change, help keep things moving, not stagnating), both generally and personally. There is, of course, the rational part of my brain that gets the astronomy and physics and believes that they'll probably continue without my help - but my ritual life is, in part, centered around the idea of paying attention, thoughtfully, at particular points.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this particular dichotomy in their thoughts.  On a logical level, I know that the seasons will change without me.  I also know that I will not change without them. Seasonal changes keep my practice alive and keep me very in tune to my path and to the natural cycle.  If I fail to acknowledge them, it tends to throw me out of balance.

There are five times a year when I intentionally plan formal ritual work - the equinoxes, the solstices, and Samhain.  I might light candles and do smaller workings in between, but these are really my times to connect spiritually.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

OpenHands

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 10:41:54 pm »

At the new moon I typically burn incense to the gods and at full moon I like to add a bottle of olive oil as a libation.  During holidays I'll do this plus I may offer fruit or flowers and cook a meal to celebrate.  Two holidays include creating and destroying an effigy.  Astarte's shrine gets the most attention with weekly (sometimes daily) offerings of incense.  Almost every ritual also includes some type of purification.

Honoring my ancestors and the local spirits is more sporadic- whenever it feels appropriate or when someone passes.  For my ancestors I tend to just burn candles to avoid any potential offense, but during the holiday for the dead, Marzichu, I include incense, flowers, and food.  For local spirits I pour a libation or leave a small offering out near the boundary between my yard and the wilder parts of the property.

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 11:36:43 pm »

Daily - A general "thank you for what I have" prayer to the Olympians & and any other deities involved in my life.  This is done nightly before bed, followed by individual acknowledgements to the gods closest to me ("Patrons".) No incense or offerings are made.

Weekly - Offerings consist usually of a combination of incense, a lit candle, libation, the reading of a hymn, flowers & other gifts.  Usually I do them for Poseidon or Apollo.  Sometimes I do a big setup with an "altar," other times it's shrine only.  

My ritual schedule changes according to who's home, stress, the weather (e.g., it's not fun trying to maintain ritual cleanliness when it's 90 degrees with 60% humidity!) and whatever disasters are manifesting in my life at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:39:05 pm by DashesAgainst »
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

Ladywhitewolf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist Pagan
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 12:54:40 pm »

I hadn't done any rituals in about a year.   I am a [hard] polytheist Pagan with leanings towards Shamanism.  I haven't done any journeying lately.  Yesterday, I lit some incense as an offering and thank you to my deities.  I light candles.  I'll also sometimes give them an offerings of cider/wine.  I usually don't do large rituals.   I feel more comfortable doing small rituals.
-My paganspace page: http://www.paganspace.net/profile/whitewolf51
-My Pagan Playground page: http://www.pagan-playground.com/whitewolf-1
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he\'ll be a mile away, and barefoot.

Adrianne Boudreau

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 12:19:58 am »

I try to give a food & drink offering to the Goddess every full moon, with a quick prayer. The reason I don't go into full elaborate rituals is because I still live with my parents and three little children. And I really don't have the room to do the big elaborate full moon ritual every month like I want to.  However,  recently I feel I have more leeway on when and how I do my Sabbaths.
My Official Site Still Under Construction Folks!

Tags: