"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2016)  (Read 4711 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2016)
« on: March 28, 2016, 12:22:31 pm »
It's hard to believe that a decade has gone by, but the tenth anniversary of one of the saddest days in the history of The Cauldron is almost upon us. If you were a member of The Cauldron any time from about 2003 to early 2006, you will remember Chavi (aka Storyteller Cat and, in offline life, Cathlene Patricia McKenna) and starting in early 2005, her ever positive reports on her battle with a rare form of cancer. (Some of these posted used to be available on our 2005 Archive Board -- but the software it ran on does not support modern versions of PHP.) The odds were against her from the beginning, but that did not stop her from fighting hard to try to be one of the rare survivors. And for a time it looked like she really might overcome those long odds. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be so. We lost Chavi on April 1, 2006.

Elspeth, one of the founders of this board passed over on April 19, 2010, after years of fighting congestive heart failure and other medical problems which kept her offline except for generally brief spells for the last five or six years before her death. She was a major participant here in the early years of this board and her posts can be found on our old Delphi forum. Some of her poetry and other writings can in old issues of our newsletter and in the Samhain section of our web site. The Cauldron would have never started if Elspeth had not wanted a forum to replace a small mailing list, The Grove, which she ran.

Marilyn (aka Absent) probably needs no introduction to recent members of this board. She was a long time active member of this board with many posts to her credit up until she suddenly passed on February 16th of 2013. She was a long time staff member whose expertise on the Tarot was appreciated by all.

Friday, April 1, 2016, marks the tenth anniversary of Chavi's passing. Since the first anniversary of her passing, we have honored her on April 1st with 24 hours of candle burning. Five years ago, we started honoring Elspeth on this day as well. Two years ago, we added Marilyn to this annual memorial. We are asking all Cauldron members who knew Chavi, Elspeth, or Marilyn; knew of Chavi, Elspeth, or Marilyn; or who did not know any of these three people but just want to help honor three wonderful people who meant a lot to many members of TC (and wish to participate) to light a candle in honor of Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn at 8pm your local time on April 1st and let it burn for at least an hour. The object is to have 24 hours of candles burning for them -- one hour at a time around the world. Given things like oceans and the like, this may not be completely possible, but I'll bet we can come close -- especially as some of us let our candles burn for longer than one hour.

If you log in on April 1st, you will probably notice that many longtime members of this board have changed their avatar for the day to either an avatar of a hat or their regular avatar wearing a hat. These hats are usually somewhat silly. We do this in honor of Chavi who had a thing for silly hats.

If you want to participate, please post in here. Everyone, regardless of religion, is welcome to participate. If you can't participate at 8pm your time, feel free to pick a different hour, I can promise you that neither Chavi, Elspeth, nor Marilyn would have been sticklers about the time. Neither are we.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Honoring Chavi, Elspeth, and Marilyn on April 1st (2016)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 12:52:18 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;189070
If you log in on April 1st, you will probably notice that many longtime members of this board have changed their avatar for the day to either an avatar of a hat or their regular avatar wearing a hat. These hats are usually somewhat silly. We do this in honor of Chavi who had a thing for silly hats.

If you want to participate, please post in here. Everyone, regardless of religion, is welcome to participate. If you can't participate at 8pm your time, feel free to pick a different hour, I can promise you that neither Chavi, Elspeth, nor Marilyn would have been sticklers about the time. Neither are we.

I'll be there with bells on! (Virtualiterally: my silly hat has bells.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 04:07:19 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;189071
I'll be there with bells on! (Virtualiterally: my silly hat has bells.)

Sunflower

Heh!

I'll also be there. Good thing I stocked up on candles last week.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 04:30:11 pm »

I'll be here. I stumbled across an old post by Marilyn the other day. It made me miss her all over again

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 07:56:53 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;189085
I'll be here. I stumbled across an old post by Marilyn the other day. It made me miss her all over again

As will I. I was just thinking the other week how much I miss Marilyn. :(
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 08:00:14 pm »

I'm in, of course.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Runt

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 09:25:31 pm »

I will definitely participate.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 01:32:29 pm »

has it really been that long?  will be here.

katrina
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 02:51:33 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;189156
has it really been that long?

Sadly, it will have been that long. It doesn't seem like it.

BTW, Lyric and I will have a candle burning from Friday afternoon until we go to bed -- about 9:30 or 10 pm.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 03:17:41 pm »
If you want to participate, please post in here.

As you all know, I am a newbie here at the Cauldron, and I didn't know any of the departed you mention, but I will burn a candle for departed cauldronites in general. I am very grateful for the existence of this forum, and will gladly express my gratitude for what our predecessors here have done for the community in the past.

May they find liberation, awakening, reintegration into the transcendent substrate, or whatever happens to be our final goal!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 10:12:31 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;189215
As you all know, I am a newbie here at the Cauldron, and I didn't know any of the departed you mention, but I will burn a candle for departed cauldronites in general. I am very grateful for the existence of this forum, and will gladly express my gratitude for what our predecessors here have done for the community in the past.

That will work. As I said, we're easy on this.
Randall

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 01:13:17 am »

I'm in.  I have a show that night, though, so won't get home until around 10:30. I'll light my candle then and it'll burn for 5 or 6 hours.  I'll also have my virtual candle (on my phone) going for the 24 hours.

I miss Marilyn.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 11:12:15 am »
If you can't participate at 8pm your time, feel free to pick a different hour, I can promise you that neither Chavi, Elspeth, nor Marilyn would have been sticklers about the time. Neither are we.

Our candle is lit hours ahead of time and my fancy hat is on my avatar. Chavi, Elspeth, and Marliyn, we miss you.
Randall

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 01:16:53 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;189297
Our candle is lit hours ahead of time and my fancy hat is on my avatar. Chavi, Elspeth, and Marliyn, we miss you.

Can I just say your hat is rad? Because your hat is rad.

I've had my little LED teacandle on all day. I usually declare April 1st to be Stay Off The Internet Day, but this...this is important.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 03:00:11 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;189297

It's 8pm here and my candle is lit. It will remain so until I go to bed around 11.

Tags: