Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Mjolnir Pendant  (Read 1560 times)

acefinlay

• View Profile
Mjolnir Pendant
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:41:29 am »
This is my first post. Started using elder futhark runes for many years and have been pulled closer to Odin and Thor. After years of solitary practice im at the point of expanding my connections. I have a question about Mjolnir pendants. I know that there are actual relics of pendants that were worn to show northern beliefs back in the 12th century, and that blacksmiths forged crosses and Mjolnir sometimes in the same casting block.

My question is about the origin of the shape of Mjolnir. I know the story from the eddas about how it was cast, and Loki's trickery that lead to the shortening of the handle, and how it was a 3 piece set with gloves and a belt. Most representations show it as a double sided hammer, yet all battle hammers in existence, and almost all forging hammers never had both sides identical. Most had a hammer face on one end, but either a spike, or axe on the other.

When Thor fought the frost giants it would make sense to have a hammer for shattering on one end, and an axe that can be thrown on the other. I can see it being heavy since it was meant for 2 handed striking, but the shape seems to puzzle me. The other fact that it resembles an anchor. Most vikings were fisherman, so I question if pendants that were worn originated from identifying them as fisherman that was later adopted or associated of norse, or if it truly was the shape of what Mjolnir would actually look like.

With all the research I have done, I still cannot find an answer, so its time to reach out.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mjolnir Pendant
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:21:26 am »
Quote from: acefinlay;189064
My question is about the origin of the shape of Mjolnir. I know the story from the eddas about how it was cast, and Loki's trickery that lead to the shortening of the handle, and how it was a 3 piece set with gloves and a belt. Most representations show it as a double sided hammer, yet all battle hammers in existence, and almost all forging hammers never had both sides identical. Most had a hammer face on one end, but either a spike, or axe on the other.

When Thor fought the frost giants it would make sense to have a hammer for shattering on one end, and an axe that can be thrown on the other. I can see it being heavy since it was meant for 2 handed striking, but the shape seems to puzzle me. The other fact that it resembles an anchor.

It was indeed Loki's shenanigans that cause the hammer to be forged with a shortened haft. It could have been a war hammer such as this, but with a shortened haft:

[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

There is another type of hammer called a maul, which resembles today's sledgehammer. I tend to think that Mjöllnir pendants are stylized versions of the maul, rather than representations of a war hammer. The Slavic god Perun uses an axe. Considering that the Norse are the forerunners of the Rus, the Russians, there might be some "cross-pollination" of imagery.

Of course I could be abysmally and pathetically wrong. :o

acefinlay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 02:40:09 pm »
Quote from: Thorbjorn;189065
It was indeed Loki's shenanigans that cause the hammer to be forged with a shortened haft. It could have been a war hammer such as this, but with a shortened haft:

[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

There is another type of hammer called a maul, which resembles today's sledgehammer. I tend to think that Mjöllnir pendants are stylized versions of the maul, rather than representations of a war hammer. The Slavic god Perun uses an axe. Considering that the Norse are the forerunners of the Rus, the Russians, there might be some "cross-pollination" of imagery.

Of course I could be abysmally and pathetically wrong. :o

See I was raised christian and found a different path for me. In most holy texts the stories take a mystical approach to explain the explainable. Stating Thor has a belt  that doubles strength and a glove to hold Mjolnir I think is that same attempt. I can see a chain to attach to Mjolnir so he could pull back his hammer after thrown, and an oversized hilt design to balance the weapon, and prevent it slipping from his hand.

I can see in the traditional Mjolnir head outlines the Thurisaz rune , so there is symbolism in the shape, I just worry that the pendants were "Like I said above" was a pendant of a sailors anchor rather than Mjolnir itself. With Mjolnir being the norse statement of dedication, im ok with a traditional double headed hammer for a pendant since its now a recognized religion in the United States. I just need to find a piece that is closer to what Mjolnir would be when doing work with him.

Soletaken

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 03:38:38 pm »
Quote from: acefinlay;189076
I just need to find a piece that is closer to what Mjolnir would be when doing work with him.

It would be impossible to truly say what Mjolnir looks like. My suggestion would be doing historical research, studying the weapons of the people who originally worshipped Thor. There should be something in the weapon designs that will give you a clearer mental picture of Mjolnir ~might~ look like.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 10:46:52 am »
Quote from: acefinlay;189064
almost all forging hammers never had both sides identical. Most had a hammer face on one end, but either a spike, or axe on the other.

For what it's worth, about half of the hammers in my blacksmithing gear are, in fact, double-sided. Peins are certainly common but by no means required. I know Mjolnir is more of a whacking-people than a whacking-metal hammer but since you mentioned forging hammers I wanted to say something. XD

(And of course one also wears special gloves when picking up one's hammers in the forge, too...)

But anyway, I tend to assume that the old hammers on jewelry are as close as mortals are likely to get to knowing how Mjolnir looks on account of I generally believe the Norse knew what they were doing and why.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 12:44:14 pm »
Quote from: acefinlay;189076
See I was raised christian and found a different path for me. In most holy texts the stories take a mystical approach to explain the explainable. Stating Thor has a belt  that doubles strength and a glove to hold Mjolnir I think is that same attempt. I can see a chain to attach to Mjolnir so he could pull back his hammer after thrown, and an oversized hilt design to balance the weapon, and prevent it slipping from his hand.

I can see in the traditional Mjolnir head outlines the Thurisaz rune , so there is symbolism in the shape, I just worry that the pendants were "Like I said above" was a pendant of a sailors anchor rather than Mjolnir itself. With Mjolnir being the norse statement of dedication, im ok with a traditional double headed hammer for a pendant since its now a recognized religion in the United States. I just need to find a piece that is closer to what Mjolnir would be when doing work with him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2676386/Hammer-Thor-unearthed-Runes-1-000-year-old-amulet-solve-mystery-Viking-charms-worn-protection.html

I've just skimmed this, so look at it in a bit more detail do see how reliable it is. Might help you.

acefinlay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 02:06:46 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;189150
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2676386/Hammer-Thor-unearthed-Runes-1-000-year-old-amulet-solve-mystery-Viking-charms-worn-protection.html

I've just skimmed this, so look at it in a bit more detail do see how reliable it is. Might help you.

Thank you for that link. I think some of this comes from story's passed down through time that tend to be exaggerated. If a christian actually believed that Jesus walked on water, and was raised from the dead, or excaliber could only be picked up by a king. Perhaps they were great people that lived once.

The poem of the eddas makes it clear that Thor had a hammer that should have a long handle but was shortened, a pair of gauntlets, and a belt. All 3 were required to wield Mjolnir. If you set aside the years that passed mind you that vikings never wrote down their beliefs and was passed by word of mouth, and think of a weapon that would fit that I see something different.

Battlehammers were oftain rain drop shape so that one side was heavy for crushing and the other tapered for penetration hits, if it was a long handle that perhaps broke in half from battle or a blade strike cutting it in half, then a pommel with a wide base would need to be added to hold on to it. I could even see something like a knuckleduster be implimented into the hilt for added stability. That would take function of the glove.

If a chain that connected the hammer and a belt were used it could explain the need for a belt. Asia was within raiding range of the vikings and they had the Kusarigama, a sickle on one end, and a metal weight on the other end of a chain. Vikings were very creative with weapons taking the best weapons in the area. The sword and shield they used like rome shield walls, so if they did raid east, they would have known of the Kusarigama.

The last point is abilities. They could craft weapons without doubt, but once transformed to Christians, blacksmiths that made weapons were now looking for work and had to forge pendants, so their skills in jewelry more than likely was challenging to them. Forging a complex tiny weapon may have been above their abilities, so a simple representation was crafted.

Since posting this I bought my first Mjolnir that has a semi traditional shape, and I never take it off. My main concern is that I am not really wearing a symbol for an old world anchor. I know the US government now permits soldiers that are norse or Asatru to have a Mjolnir on their tombstone, so I am ok with the common shape to represent my beliefs.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 06:12:25 pm »
Quote from: acefinlay;189157
Asia was within raiding range of the vikings and they had the Kusarigama, a sickle on one end, and a metal weight on the other end of a chain. Vikings were very creative with weapons taking the best weapons in the area. The sword and shield they used like rome shield walls, so if they did raid east, they would have known of the Kusarigama.

Only if they somehow managed to raid as far east as Japan - and as far into the future as the 14th century or later.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

acefinlay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 10:44:45 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;189172
Only if they somehow managed to raid as far east as Japan - and as far into the future as the 14th century or later.

Sunflower

I love how non judgmental this forum is, I was worried that the replies I would get would consist of being told I was an idiot, and everything I say is wrong so I should quit asking questions.

When I look at Mjolnir I see the Thurisaz in the head of the hammer representing Mjolnir, as well as Uruz in the handle, Sowilo in the belt, and Raidho as the chain connecting it all together.

I have a strong connection with all 3 rune sets i own. That was my gateway into my current beliefs. I live in Salt Lake, and its difficult to find someone that can teach me the northern ways. At 13 I discovered the runes and thought it was a cool way to encode messages. When I started to see individual runes out of the clear blue, I always felt there was more to it than a code. It became so potent to me when I purchased my first rune set that I got every book I could get my hands on to study the esoteric side of it. For the last 3 years i did readings for myself for insight and Thurisaz and Mjolnir kept showing up.

I decided to buy a pendant, just because I felt that i needed to, but still dont know all the reasons as to why I  needed to get one. Lining in a community that demonizes non Christians, I was hoping this board could provide that medium.

Tags: