Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Error 403  (Read 9166 times)

Runt

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Error 403
« on: March 27, 2016, 05:35:30 pm »
I am getting the 403 Error and I have tried to research it here before making this post.

The issue I am having is different from what I was able to find so far. It only occurs when I am reading a thread that has multiple pages to it. Page one of any thread is fine, then when I try to access page two (or any later pages) I get the infamous Error 403.

I am using Chrome, and Norton Anti Virus; did complete system scan (aside from some normal tracking cookies, all was fine); I cleared History and also Cookies, etc.

I understand that the issue is probably on my end, but was hoping for maybe a little something more concrete of a solution.  Very frustrating when trying to catch up on my thread reading.

Any and all words of wit and wisdom appreciated.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Error 403
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 06:57:12 pm »
Quote from: Runt;189024
I am getting the 403 Error and I have tried to research it here before making this post.

I have no idea. 403 means the web server doesn't think you have permission to access the page. The only reason it would likely be doing something like this is if your browser is broken by malware or the like and is trying to access the page in a weird way -- or if your ISP (or some other man-in-the-middle like a VPN provider) is doing so. All the pages are virtual, you are really accessing the same page of code with different parameters -- so if the server lets in all at it should let you have the next page.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Runt

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 07:18:59 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;189032
I have no idea. 403 means the web server doesn't think you have permission to access the page. The only reason it would likely be doing something like this is if your browser is broken by malware or the like and is trying to access the page in a weird way -- or if your ISP (or some other man-in-the-middle like a VPN provider) is doing so. All the pages are virtual, you are really accessing the same page of code with different parameters -- so if the server lets in all at it should let you have the next page.

Thank you for the quick reply, RandallS. Here is another piece to this 403 puzzle you may want to just file away in case of future need for someone else:

If I change the thread display to printable mode instead of linear, I can access all pages with no issues. Still using same computer, browser, etc. Only the display mode changed.

Also, if I sign out of the forum, so I'm viewed as a guest, sometimes I can access all thread pages, other times I get the 403 error. No real consistency that I can determine.  Very strange.

All spells to fix this very welcome :)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 01:32:32 pm »
Quote from: Runt;189034
If I change the thread display to printable mode instead of linear, I can access all pages with no issues. Still using same computer, browser, etc. Only the display mode changed.

Also, if I sign out of the forum, so I'm viewed as a guest, sometimes I can access all thread pages, other times I get the 403 error. No real consistency that I can determine.  Very strange.

This makes no sense at all -- even less sense than yesterday. As no one else has posted, I guess no one else is having this problem.

Have you tried using a different browser -- preferably one with its cache and cookies completely cleared out and not using any browser plugins?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 03:37:13 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;189073
This makes no sense at all -- even less sense than yesterday. As no one else has posted, I guess no one else is having this problem.

Have you tried using a different browser -- preferably one with its cache and cookies completely cleared out and not using any browser plugins?

Not quite - I just saw this thread now. On Saturday I got a slight glitch in that I couldn't view the next page of the thread I was in; no error message, just a blank page. I got the same glitch when I created a new thread immediately after (the Egg thread); when I hit the button to publish the thread, I got the blank screen again. I left the site and came back, and everything worked fine.

At the time I thought it might be a problem with wifi interference or something.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 03:49:57 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;189079
Not quite - I just saw this thread now. On Saturday I got a slight glitch in that I couldn't view the next page of the thread I was in; no error message, just a blank page. I got the same glitch when I created a new thread immediately after (the Egg thread); when I hit the button to publish the thread, I got the blank screen again. I left the site and came back, and everything worked fine.

This is a known server glitch (and a different problem that the OP is reporting). The only thing that can be done is to update the server software, but that can't be done until we move off of vbulletin which can't be done until I have an entire week free. Until then, when someone (usually Darkhawk) reports this issue to me, I have to restart the web and database server and it works again.
Randall

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 05:40:11 pm »
As no one else has posted, I guess no one else is having this problem.

I get a similar message, if I try to read threads while I'm not logged in. When I am logged in, I do not have that problem. And the problem began a short while ago, when my old password didn't work. It was very strange.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:41:19 pm by RecycledBenedict »

Runt

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 09:13:49 pm »

No, I haven't tried a different browser yet mainly because I do run IE for work related stuff and try to keep all my personal stuff under Chrome, but it's the old IE (haven't upgraded to Win 10 and don't plan on it until forced).

I will futz around more later in the week and see if I can get more of a handle on what's happening and what's not under various scenarios. I am not too concerned and it most likely is something on my end that's causing it.

Thanks again, RandallS. :D:

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 07:52:39 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;189089
And the problem began a short while ago, when my old password didn't work.

I can't see how that would cause the problem, but I suspect it is too weird that it happened at the same time to "just be a coincidence".
Randall

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 07:46:00 pm »

This came up, by chance, in a conversation I was having, with someone who prefers not to be named (but whom I'll vouch for as a reliable person). I asked them to look at this thread, and rephrase what they'd said to me in a way suitable for me to post here (because though they're a member of TC, they are uncomfortable posting in public areas):

'The 403 errors being described are a web server security issue being enforced by TC's hosting web server.  The issue happens only on threads where the subject end with an ellipsis ("..."), and it happens because the server is trying to forbid insecure character strings in the URL.  (In these Cauldron URLs with the ellipsis, there's no security risk from the subject lines, but the pattern matches something that could be, so the server forbids viewing the URLs and serves up the 403 Forbidden error.)  

'The reason why it's those URLs is because the Unix/Linux operating system, which most web servers run on, has a few character strings that, when executed, mean things to the operating system.  The string "../" is one of those strings - it's a reference to the parent directory in UNIX.  A server that evaluated insecure characters in URL fields might be tricked into showing an attacker a private directory they shouldn't have access to.  The first page of a post that ends in an ellipsis just ends in "...", which doesn't trigger an automatic security filter, but from page two onwards, it ends in ".../pageN", which contains "../" inside it, and triggers the security filter. (It might also be matching ./, which is also used in executing commandline code, but the meanings are pretty close. it's either ../ or ./ it's looking for, but the real security risk is the parent directory, which is the ../)

'In my experience with this problem on TC, this doesn't happen when people are logged in, because they have higher privileges than people who aren't logged in.  The server is protecting against the anonymous world using "dangerous" strings, not known users.  That's why sometimes you can see those pages and sometimes you can't.  If you're logged in, it should work fine.'

So, not so nonsensical as it seemed on the surface; hopefully this will help people who are running into the problem.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

lioness

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 07:56:06 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;189788

'In my experience with this problem on TC, this doesn't happen when people are logged in, because they have higher privileges than people who aren't logged in.  The server is protecting against the anonymous world using "dangerous" strings, not known users.  That's why sometimes you can see those pages and sometimes you can't.  If you're logged in, it should work fine.'

I've gotten this error twice today while trying to access later pages on the "Our Miserable Future" thread and definitely while logged in. I've had it on other days as well.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 11:38:38 am »
Quote from: lioness;189816
I've gotten this error twice today while trying to access later pages on the "Our Miserable Future" thread and definitely while logged in. I've had it on other days as well.

As I said, I can't think of any reason people are getting this error in all the ways they are getting it. The explanation reported by Sunflower a couple of posts ago should be the only reason this comes up. However, it's obviously not.
Randall

lioness

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 12:34:57 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;189820
As I said, I can't think of any reason people are getting this error in all the ways they are getting it. The explanation reported by Sunflower a couple of posts ago should be the only reason this comes up. However, it's obviously not.

Would it help to get you a screencap next time I encounter it?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 02:58:06 pm »
Quote from: lioness;189827
Would it help to get you a screencap next time I encounter it?

It might. It certainly couldn't hurt to see exactly what the message you are getting is.
Randall

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 09:15:13 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;189820

I think it's worth keeping an eye on how closely it correlates to threads whose titles end in ellipses, as is the case with 'Our Miserable Future' - it could be that, for some unknown reason, being logged in doesn't always prevent it.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: