Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Wiccan therapist / life coach?  (Read 4982 times)

jungblood

• View Profile
Wiccan therapist / life coach?
« on: March 26, 2016, 04:56:07 pm »
Hello friends,

A lot of Wiccan priests and priestesses also work as healers of various kinds..Somewhere inside me I’ve always known that progress in the areas where I still find myself blocked will come through developing a stronger relationship with the Goddess… so I’m looking for a Wiccan life coach or therapist to guide me in my devotional practice and make some changes in my life… Would any of you guys have recommendations of Wiccan counsellors or coaches? If so, please let me know! Thanks everyone

Hugs,
Lucas

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Wiccan therapist / life coach?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 05:33:58 pm »
Quote from: jungblood;188953

… so I’m looking for a Wiccan life coach or therapist to guide me in my devotional practice and make some changes in my life… Would any of you guys have recommendations of Wiccan counsellors or coaches? If so, please let me know! Thanks everyone

The ethical people I know who are licensed therapists make a distinction between their religious practice and their therapeutic work - not that it doesn't have an effect, but in a therapy or coaching session, they wouldn't be focusing on teaching spiritual practices (even in a religion they follow) but about other things, like helping you figure out what you need in your life.

Crossing the streams, as it were, is a dual relationship problem. Dual relationships occur when a therapist and client interact in multiple settings, and they're generally considered something to avoid unless you truly can't, rather than something that goes together. It seems counter-intuitive but it's meant to protect both the therapist and client, and make sure they both have support and ability to process things in their lives appropriately.

(By 'truly can't', that's usually defined as something like 'you are dealing with an unusual speciality of that therapist, need therapy to work with issues about that specific thing, circumstances mean you can't find another therapist, and you also have other social connections with the therapist': it comes up sometimes either with people who serve specific communities - like particular medical conditions - or in smaller areas where there may be a limited number of therapists taking new clients at a given time.)  

This means that people who are willing both be a therapist and teach you spiritual practices at best not thinking through the complexities of other situations in some really important ways. And at worst, they're seriously unethical and unaware of normal standards in both their professional role and their clergy role. None of that is good.  

(Life coach, as you're probably aware, is a term that covers a huge range of ground, and may or may not have any kind of licensing, standards, or other quality control attached, depending on the area, the specific terminology used, etc. So you want to proceed carefully with life coaches no matter what. This part of why life coaches sometimes have a bad reputation: they sometimes don't realise that dual-role relationships can be incredibly destructive even when they're trying to help.)  

That said, if what you're aiming for is "Someone who is not going to react badly when you talk about wanting modern neo-Pagan religions to be part of what you talk about" that's a much easier thing to do, and broadening to people familiar with Paganism is going to get you a much wider range of options.

Are you looking for someone in a particular physical area? Someone who does Skype or telephone sessions? Do you have limitations on time availability (like needing someone who would be available evenings your time?) or cost?

If you're looking for spiritual guidance and help, that's a different set of questions, and people here might be able to help with some of that, if you ask those questions as well. Or, depending on details, maybe point you at details near where you are.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

jungblood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 06:09:51 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;188955
That said, if what you're aiming for is "Someone who is not going to react badly when you talk about wanting modern neo-Pagan religions to be part of what you talk about" that's a much easier thing to do,.

Hi there Jenette!

Thanks so much for that quick response... I realize now that I didnt explain very clearly in that last post... so yes, I'd say I'm looking for a counsellor or therapist who has some familiarity / sympathy with neo-paganism... I'm not really looking for spiritual guidance per se - it's more some support with life issues from someone who isn't going to freak out when I talk about my beliefs and spiritual practice...

And someone who can work by skype would be ideal, because I travel a lot for work... any suggestions welcome... thanks!
Hugs,
Lucas :)

Bear-craft

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:12:18 pm »
Quote from: jungblood;188953
Hello friends,

Would any of you guys have recommendations of Wiccan counsellors or coaches? If so, please let me know! Thanks everyone

Hugs,
Lucas

Hi! I'd recommend searching for someone on the website Thumbtack because it allows you to enter your own search criteria instead along with being able to choose from a list. There are definitely Pagan and Pagan-friendly counselors/therapists on there! However, I do not know if the website is available outside of the US.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:14:12 pm by Bear-craft »

Sue Lndsman

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 03:40:09 pm »
Quote from: Bear-craft;190433
Hi! I'd recommend searching for someone on the website Thumbtack because it allows you to enter your own search criteria instead along with being able to choose from a list. There are definitely Pagan and Pagan-friendly counselors/therapists on there! However, I do not know if the website is available outside of the US.

Not sure if you're still looking for someone, but I do that. You can email me.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 11:34:53 pm »
Quote from: Sue Lndsman;201454

A Reminder:
Hi, Sue Lndsman,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote the post to which you're actually replying, not just the last/most recent one in the thread. Quoting correctly creates a trackback to the post being responded to, which makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Afanasfreya

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Witchcraft/spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:34:40 pm »
Hello friends,

A lot of Wiccan priests and priestesses also work as healers of various kinds..Somewhere inside me I’ve always known that progress in the areas where I still find myself blocked will come through developing a stronger relationship with the Goddess… so I’m looking for a Wiccan life coach or therapist to guide me in my devotional practice and make some changes in my life… Would any of you guys have recommendations of Wiccan counsellors or coaches? If so, please let me know! Thanks everyone

Hugs,
Lucas
I can help. You can email me.
"Live life to the fullest, because only surviving isn't living at all. "

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 06:56:42 pm »
I can help. You can email me.

A quick note  - we don't mind people reviving old threads on this forum, but we do encourage people to check the dates first.

In this case, the original post was from March 2016 (so over 18 months ago) and the last time the poster was active here was in May 2016 - so it's pretty unlikely they're going to come back and see a comment asking them to email. (If you're using the web to access the forum, these things are in the sidebar information. If you're using Tapatalk, you have to click through to the poster's profile for the last date they were here, I think.)

Sunflower did a great post a while back that explains a bit more of our thinking about when reviving a thread might make sense vs. starting a new one. (The things in that post aren't rules, just things we've observed over time and some ideas for navigating that.)

Jenett, with her staff hat lightly in place.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: