Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Information on Hedge Witchcraft?  (Read 3358 times)

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Information on Hedge Witchcraft?
« on: March 25, 2016, 02:27:49 pm »
Hi!

An odd series of events (as usual) has pointed me in the direction of Hedge witchcraft of the Hedge-Riding variety. It seems like the very thing I have been looking for to help me combine my present practices into something well-rounded and whole. However, I know very little about it and the few threads here don't have a lot of information. I've found a couple of decent websites ( I hope) and I'm trying to find some good 101 style books.

I get the impression that a lot of people that head towards Hedgewitchery come at it from a Traditional Witchcraft and/or a Wiccan perspective. My background is Druidry (and Heathenry), which I think will fit nicely, but leaves me with a lack of knowledge about other forms of  witchcraft.

If anyone could point me in the direction of some good information, some 101 style books as well as some more advanced books, I would be very grateful. Or if you just have some good explanations or ideas of where I can do some research. Super grateful!

Thanks so much!!!

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Hedge Witchcraft?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 04:10:16 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;188891
Hi!

An odd series of events (as usual) has pointed me in the direction of Hedge witchcraft of the Hedge-Riding variety. It seems like the very thing I have been looking for to help me combine my present practices into something well-rounded and whole. However, I know very little about it and the few threads here don't have a lot of information. I've found a couple of decent websites ( I hope) and I'm trying to find some good 101 style books.

I get the impression that a lot of people that head towards Hedgewitchery come at it from a Traditional Witchcraft and/or a Wiccan perspective. My background is Druidry (and Heathenry), which I think will fit nicely, but leaves me with a lack of knowledge about other forms of  witchcraft.

If anyone could point me in the direction of some good information, some 101 style books as well as some more advanced books, I would be very grateful. Or if you just have some good explanations or ideas of where I can do some research. Super grateful!

Thanks so much!!!
I would recommend looking into chaos magick in order to get the idea of creating your own system.

My understanding of hedge witchcraft is that, among other things, is solo practice. Thus, a strong personal belief system not only needs to be established, but also be flexible.

Learning to follow your own path means that you will have to adapt practices to suit your own temperament. I would look into meditation techniques to build your well being and your will. This will also allow you to sense truth.

Divination practices to improve your intuition and allow you to be in tune with your higher self / holy guardian angel / personal deity, etc.
Tarot and pendulum work are very good tools for this.

You should also discover magickal paradigms or schemas that embody the laws of nature. These too can teach you the mental and emotional laws of magick. Examples of such systems include: The Qabalah, Hermetic philosophy, Tarot, Astrology, Alchemy, I-Ching, Tai Chi, Thelema.

The difference between these systems and religion is that they are ways of living, not rules of morality.

Through Magick you can directly experience laws of nature, the gods, your own true will.

It provides the structure whereby you can differentiate and free yourself from the elements. Thus a knowledge of herbs and chemistry can be of service.

Reading List:
The Kybalion by Three Initiates
The Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune
Liber Null and Psychonaut by Peter J. Carroll
The Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley
Magick without Tears by Aleister Crowley

-Wimsaur..
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:14:41 pm by Wimsaur »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 04:55:58 pm »

One of the complicates with hedge-riding and hedgewalking is that people use the term in a variety of ways. (Though most of the people I know would not include a number of the things Wimsaur mentions - especially not the more ceremonial magic / Hermetic / etc. pieces.)

Most people I know use it as a term for 'walking between worlds' kinds of practices - Sarah Anne Lawless's blog post about it has some book references at the end, for example.

For some people that's spirit work. For some people that's explicitly work around the boundaries between the physical world and the unseen world. Sometimes it's about who or what you're interacting with - connection with the spirits of plants or other beings, for example, or spirits of place.

So, to get better help finding resources, can you expand a bit more on what you're looking for? You mentioned you've already looked at some resources - which ones are like what you're interested in? Do you have specific questions you're trying to sort out?
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 07:28:00 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;188952
One of the complicates with hedge-riding and hedgewalking is that people use the term in a variety of ways. (Though most of the people I know would not include a number of the things Wimsaur mentions - especially not the more ceremonial magic / Hermetic / etc. pieces.)

Most people I know use it as a term for 'walking between worlds' kinds of practices - Sarah Anne Lawless's blog post about it has some book references at the end, for example.

For some people that's spirit work. For some people that's explicitly work around the boundaries between the physical world and the unseen world. Sometimes it's about who or what you're interacting with - connection with the spirits of plants or other beings, for example, or spirits of place.

I found Sarah's website yesterday and I'm just beginning to navigate around it.  I will look up the references she has listed. But yes, that is essentially what I'm looking for, books or sites that have knowledge or information on spirit work, crossing boundaries and other liminal work.

So, to get better help finding resources, can you expand a bit more on what you're looking for? You mentioned you've already looked at some resources - which ones are like what you're interested in? Do you have specific questions you're trying to sort out?

So far I haven't found much, there are some books about Seidr, which might work well for me as I follow the Norse gods. The various websites have mostly been along the lines of: "What is a Hedge Witch?" with a brief explanation but no deeper knowledge. Like this: http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=caon&c=words&id=11899    I don't even know if that is a correct description of a Hedge Witch, but is is close to what I am looking for.

I do herbal work and various other nature-based work through my studies with OBOD. I work with pendulum, runes and I'm learning Ogham for divinatory practices.

I am really looking for two things: Information to help me with the spirit-work AND information on folk magic, because now I'm told it's time to embark on a path that is magical, as well.

I have spent a lot of time building up a base for what will be my overall path. And that path has always supposed to include spirit-work, ancestor work, boundary crossing and folk magic. I have just kept from working on those subjects until I was ready to go there.

Thanks so much for replying!

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 07:36:48 pm »
Quote from: Wimsaur;188950
I would recommend looking into chaos magick in order to get the idea of creating your own system.

My understanding of hedge witchcraft is that, among other things, is solo practice. Thus, a strong personal belief system not only needs to be established, but also be flexible.

Learning to follow your own path means that you will have to adapt practices to suit your own temperament. I would look into meditation techniques to build your well being and your will. This will also allow you to sense truth.

Divination practices to improve your intuition and allow you to be in tune with your higher self / holy guardian angel / personal deity, etc.
Tarot and pendulum work are very good tools for this.

You should also discover magickal paradigms or schemas that embody the laws of nature. These too can teach you the mental and emotional laws of magick. Examples of such systems include: The Qabalah, Hermetic philosophy, Tarot, Astrology, Alchemy, I-Ching, Tai Chi, Thelema.

The difference between these systems and religion is that they are ways of living, not rules of morality.

Through Magick you can directly experience laws of nature, the gods, your own true will.

It provides the structure whereby you can differentiate and free yourself from the elements. Thus a knowledge of herbs and chemistry can be of service.

Reading List:
The Kybalion by Three Initiates
The Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune
Liber Null and Psychonaut by Peter J. Carroll
The Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley
Magick without Tears by Aleister Crowley

-Wimsaur..

Thanks! I will be looking into ceremonial magic. It's not my path, but it is something I should at least understand. Chaos magic has always seemed interesting, due to its flexibility, so I will be re-reading the books I have on that.

Thanks for the book recommendations, saves me a whole bunch of confusion! :)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 08:08:22 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;188964

I am really looking for two things: Information to help me with the spirit-work AND information on folk magic, because now I'm told it's time to embark on a path that is magical, as well.

I just picked up Ivo Dominguez's Spirit Speak to reread (it's been long enough since I read it that I don't recall details of what he says, but I like his stuff in general, and he's very good on practical 'here is how to avoid problems' tips, but I don't have other specific comment yet. I'll try to remember to come back and leave some more thoughts when I've read it, which will probably be a week or so. (It's my current bathtub reading book, which means I read it slowly.)

Some of the things it talks about will not be directly relevant to you, but for practical protocols and warnings and how to deal with weird spots, there's some good stuff in there.

For trance, the usual thing I suggest first is Diana Paxson's Trance-Portation: people often bounce off it, but it's one of the very few books on meditation for ritual journey purposes books that has some significant 'does this explanation work for a range of people' testing behind it (she ran it as a series of classes, and then students of hers did, using the same materials.) Again, it has a very good troubleshooting chapter at the end that's worth a lot even if the rest of the material doesn't work for you.

I'm also wondering if Marian Green's A Witch Alone might be a thing you'd find useful: some of the versions describe it as Wiccan, but it's really much more about solo witchcraft practice, and there's a lot of suggestions and activities that might be of interest.

For folk magic, there's tons of stuff out there: you might either find it useful to look at folk traditions that have some connection to you or your family (places your family came from) or, alternately, that are similar to things you can get access to where you're living now. (If you're living, say, in Minnesota, the things that you can get from plants and flowers and such near you are different than, say, Arizona, so picking similar climate traditions from other places can be a way to focus your interests and not be so overwhelmed.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 05:27:15 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;188969
I just picked up Ivo Dominguez's Spirit Speak to reread (it's been long enough since I read it that I don't recall details of what he says, but I like his stuff in general, and he's very good on practical 'here is how to avoid problems' tips, but I don't have other specific comment yet. I'll try to remember to come back and leave some more thoughts when I've read it, which will probably be a week or so. (It's my current bathtub reading book, which means I read it slowly.)

Some of the things it talks about will not be directly relevant to you, but for practical protocols and warnings and how to deal with weird spots, there's some good stuff in there.

For trance, the usual thing I suggest first is Diana Paxson's Trance-Portation: people often bounce off it, but it's one of the very few books on meditation for ritual journey purposes books that has some significant 'does this explanation work for a range of people' testing behind it (she ran it as a series of classes, and then students of hers did, using the same materials.) Again, it has a very good troubleshooting chapter at the end that's worth a lot even if the rest of the material doesn't work for you.

I'm also wondering if Marian Green's A Witch Alone might be a thing you'd find useful: some of the versions describe it as Wiccan, but it's really much more about solo witchcraft practice, and there's a lot of suggestions and activities that might be of interest.

Thanks! I have Trance-Portation and I was just about to pick it up and give it a good read. Good to know that it has some value. I'll also look for a copy of A Witch Alone. It is hard to find books that don't have a Wiccan slant. I've just been reading through reviews of books all over Amazon, looking  for people that say things like, "This isn't Wiccan!!!" Even still, I'm sure a lot of them have value, so I'll do a lot of book hunting.

For folk magic, there's tons of stuff out there: you might either find it useful to look at folk traditions that have some connection to you or your family (places your family came from) or, alternately, that are similar to things you can get access to where you're living now. (If you're living, say, in Minnesota, the things that you can get from plants and flowers and such near you are different than, say, Arizona, so picking similar climate traditions from other places can be a way to focus your interests and not be so overwhelmed.)

I've wondered a lot about the area in which I live (Mountains of Canada) and how to connect with the region. I think it'll be difficult to find local lore. I'm going to have to do it all from scratch.

That said, I think I can work with systems of magic that are Norse and/or Celtic. I'm being strictly warned away from Hoodoo as Not For Me and I keep finding books on magic that have Hoodoo influences or flavours. Even when they say they are Norse or Germanic or Celtic or the like. It doesn't feel right to me to add or borrow something like that. Which leaves me looking at books and wondering just how much folk magic is Hoodoo based or influenced. I may have to do some reading on Hoodoo, just so I understand what it is about and where the influences begin and end.

Thanks for your help!

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 06:34:09 pm »
Quote from: Wimsaur;188950

A Reminder:
Hi Wimsaur,

Please remember to put why you've edited a post into the "Reason for Editing" box. While the content and timing of this edit is not a rules violation, we still require that you let us know why you edited your post by filling in that box with something other than "N/A". We need to see the actual reason -- in this case, "added some books to the list" would have worked well -- so it's clear what's going on.

This isn't a formal  warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have  questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of  staff privately.

Thanks!
Morag
TC Forum Staff
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 12:45:27 am »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;189022
I've wondered a lot about the area in which I live (Mountains of Canada) and how to connect with the region. I think it'll be difficult to find local lore. I'm going to have to do it all from scratch.

Publicly-shared information from the local First Nations folks might provide a starting point; here are a few possibly-helpful websites.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Qumran@OccultRealms

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.occultrealms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 11:58:45 am »
Hi!

...It seems like the very thing I have been looking for to help me combine my present practices into something well-rounded and whole.... However, I know very little about it ... I'm trying to find some good 101 style books.

....My background is Druidry (and Heathenry), which I think will fit nicely, but leaves me with a lack of knowledge about other forms of  witchcraft....

If anyone could point me in the direction of some good information, some 101 style books as well as some more advanced books, I would be very grateful. Or if you just have some good explanations or ideas of where I can do some research.

Hello there!

Excellent comments and advice in this thread so far.  First of all, congratulations on your quest!  :)

The only thing I would add to these great comments is this: the path of Hedge Witchery draws heavily from inner direction, who YOU are, what YOU feel, YOUR UNIQUE connection to Spirit and divinity.  Books and other sources of information do have value, for sure, but I have had students become so dependent on sources of information OUTSIDE of themselves that they never quite got to actually practicing their craft.  They never found a way to make that inner connection that only practicing can develop.

There is a wonderful freedom in cherry-picking bits and pieces of various traditions and constructing your own personal tradition!!  that looks like what you're doing now.  Congrats and ENJOY!  :):):)

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 08:12:34 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;188952

SAL lists the first three books I immediately thought of:

Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits by Emma Wilby
Etheric Anatomy by Victor Anderson
Ecstasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbath by Carlo Ginzburg

And Jenett's recommendation of Trance-Portation by Diana Paxson is also a goody!

Additionally worth reading:
Hedge-Rider: Witches and the Underworld by Eric De Vries
To Fly By Night anthology edited by Veronica Cummer
Pagan Portals - Hedge Riding by Harmonia Saille

Finally, there's The Resurrection of the Meadow by Robin Artisson, which is an interesting book with good info on hedge-crossing in a modern traditional witchcraft practice, but the author is... extremely problematic, so I'm not going to link to his work. I'm just including this one book for the sake of completeness.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 03:32:58 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;189045
Publicly-shared information from the local First Nations folks might provide a starting point; here are a few possibly-helpful websites.

Sunflower

Thanks for the links! I will be doing some research on various topics related to the area in which I live. I *should* understand the land and those who were here first and how they interacted with it. Not to appropriate their knowledge or ideas, but to be respectful.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 03:40:51 pm »
Quote from: Qumran@OccultRealms;189069
Hello there!

Excellent comments and advice in this thread so far.  First of all, congratulations on your quest!  :)

The only thing I would add to these great comments is this: the path of Hedge Witchery draws heavily from inner direction, who YOU are, what YOU feel, YOUR UNIQUE connection to Spirit and divinity.  Books and other sources of information do have value, for sure, but I have had students become so dependent on sources of information OUTSIDE of themselves that they never quite got to actually practicing their craft.  They never found a way to make that inner connection that only practicing can develop.

There is a wonderful freedom in cherry-picking bits and pieces of various traditions and constructing your own personal tradition!!  that looks like what you're doing now.  Congrats and ENJOY!  :):):)

Thanks, Q!

This is a great reminder to me to get my head out of books and actually apply some of my knowledge. I have a tendency to become rather book-bound.

I think my path will be very well suited to me. I just need to work on the spirit-work and the magic now that I have a solid base in other areas. It seems like a bit of a silly thing to leave the most important bits to the end, but even though I knew I would be including them, I didn't know how or what basis they should have. It's been a very confusing quest so far!

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »
Quote from: Mellee;189098
SAL lists the first three books I immediately thought of:

Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits by Emma Wilby
Etheric Anatomy by Victor Anderson
Ecstasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbath by Carlo Ginzburg

And Jenett's recommendation of Trance-Portation by Diana Paxson is also a goody!

Additionally worth reading:
Hedge-Rider: Witches and the Underworld by Eric De Vries
To Fly By Night anthology edited by Veronica Cummer
Pagan Portals - Hedge Riding by Harmonia Saille

Finally, there's The Resurrection of the Meadow by Robin Artisson, which is an interesting book with good info on hedge-crossing in a modern traditional witchcraft practice, but the author is... extremely problematic, so I'm not going to link to his work. I'm just including this one book for the sake of completeness.

Thanks for the list!!! I'm going to look all of those up--in fact I have gotten a few already, all of the books in your additional reading section. The first ones are on my Get Next list. :)

I will look up Artisson's books and look him up, too, to see what I need to know there.

Thanks so much!

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 11:34:35 am »
Hi!

Thanks so much!!!

I'm just gonna say, oh thank goodness! This is the exact thread I figured existed somewhere and was avoiding starting. I just picked up my first book on witchcraft (yay!) and am enjoying it immensely, but it's leaving me with a lot of unanswered questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: