Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Author Topic: What's up with the atheism movement?  (Read 6865 times)

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with the atheism movement?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 09:17:04 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;188718
Exchanging 'holier than thou' for 'smarter than thou' doesn't improve people skills.

You can say that again. My atheist dad insulted me when I was a Pagan child/teen. Now that he's christian he's still insulting me even in front of my children. His personality is still the same, but now he's insulting for holy reasons instead of scientific reasons.

I also hate getting boxed into atheist because I have no central god in my philosophy. Apparently pantheism is misguided, but just so adorable. Theists and atheists think pantheists are confused, but will get there.

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 06:35:25 am »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;188781
Exactly.

However, I can - and have - accept a simple statement, such as  "I'm an atheist because I've no personal experience of any god or gods". I can accept that. It doesn't say, "You're stupid". It doesn't say, "Wake up!" It just says, "I can't take somebody else's word for it. I've got to experience the god-thing for myself or it's a no-go".
MARK aka CELLVLANVS MAGVS
OMNIA DEPENDET!

Koudelka

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2016, 09:43:03 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;188709

Mostly it's directed toward Christians, but it gets directed at anyone with certain beliefs at all: people are ridiculed, called names, told how stupid and dumb they are, and the views spewed on religions are mostly ignorant and of the opinion that they should all go out of existence and only serve the insecurities of the weak and dimwitted.  I haven't seen any religious members (of which there are only a few from what I've seen) speak to or of atheists that way.

I'm glad you had this rant it reminds me of how we shouldn't judge anyone for their beliefs even if they say you're going to hell if you don't believe the same way, 'cause not everyone is like that.

I mean I don't painstakingly try to debunk somebody' else's beliefs, I respect them, because we all could be right or wrong it's hypocrisy. Though I believe the universe is vast and multi-layered, so whatever our beliefs there's a place there for us.

The atheists I've come across are all like my science will kick your ***! I'm like.. oh come on really? Get over it.
My Jedi senses are tingling...

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 08:32:15 am »
Quote from: Freesia;189184
You can say that again. My atheist dad insulted me when I was a Pagan child/teen. Now that he's christian he's still insulting me even in front of my children. His personality is still the same, but now he's insulting for holy reasons instead of scientific reasons.

I also hate getting boxed into atheist because I have no central god in my philosophy. Apparently pantheism is misguided, but just so adorable. Theists and atheists think pantheists are confused, but will get there.

Reading this is comforting. Being a Pantheist/soft polytheist and Bisexual, it seems like the validity of my beliefs/feelings are questioned a lot. I hadn't put the two identities in the same context before, but it is comparable. People seem to be really uncomfortable with shades of grey.

Also, regarding your dad. I think it was Abe Lincoln that said "I care not for a man's religion unless his dog is the better for it." (Forgive me if I botched that.) Theology doesn't change people. Which, ironically, Jesus talked about a good bit. "Why do you say "Lord, Lord" but do not keep my commands?"
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Born Again Pagan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 05:01:44 pm »
So I joined an atheist site.  I had some questions pertinent to discussions I had been having with a philosopher friend and wanted to hear some atheists' perspectives on similar topics.  But I'm pretty appalled at how non-atheists are spoken to on the forum (thankfully it has not happened to me.)

Mostly it's directed toward Christians, but it gets directed at anyone with certain beliefs at all: people are ridiculed, called names, told how stupid and dumb they are, and the views spewed on religions are mostly ignorant and of the opinion that they should all go out of existence and only serve the insecurities of the weak and dimwitted.  I haven't seen any religious members (of which there are only a few from what I've seen) speak to or of atheists that way.

Many websites and books I come across are the same -- all forms of religion are for the weak and stupid.  What the hell?  I know not all atheists act this way.  I am an a-theist in regard to traditional theism myself.  But everything I've come across concerning atheism as a movement mostly just sucks and I think I'll have to find some other site to discuss some of my topics, one that has nothing to do specifically with atheism, especially since every other site I've been on actually has rules against personally attacking and cursing out other forum members!

Rant over.

I don't know which site you are referring to, of course, but I have had the same reaction to one i have been visiting lately.  But I do get a laugh of some Christians who come onto the site declaring they are going to show the stupid atheists a thing or two. And seeing these people being browbeaten is fun as far as I am concerned.

Ryu

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 08:05:39 pm »
Quote from: Freesia;189184
I also hate getting boxed into atheist because I have no central god in  my philosophy. Apparently pantheism is misguided, but just so adorable.  Theists and atheists think pantheists are confused, but will get  there.

The problem I see with some of the new "hard-core" atheists movements is that these special groups want to not only eliminate any hint of religious mention in their lives (that is their freedom) but want to eliminate it everywhere else because they feel that if they are offended then everyone else must be offended as well.

That means they don't want any religion of any sort being mentioned or displayed at all.
I am a non-believer but that does not mean I cannot appreciate things like Christmas displays and stuff. I don't want anyone to shove their beliefs on me and I just keep my views to myself.

There will always be those who want to play global nanny to the world and dictate who can enjoy what, some go so far as to claim that if they personally don't like something then they will deny it to others so they can feel safe in their convictions.

But there is a disturbing movement out there where people are feeling the need to be mortally offended at practically everything to the point that they feel they must be absolutely sheltered from any hint of anything that might upset their delicate emotional state.

I don't care who believes in what, as long as one is not promoting hate, hurting others as well as animals or encouraging discrimination, bigotry, etc then go for it, just don't judge me for not following in anyones footsteps or pre-arranged path.

I don't know, it seems like society isn't happy unless it is against someone for something especially when it is something that is a non-issue.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:07:28 pm by Ryu »

Snake-Bitten

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 08:28:18 pm »
Rant

This has been my reception from probably 99% of the atheists I've talked to. Apparently, empathy and kindness are among the other things they threw out with dogma.

Quote from: Chatelaine;188718
Exchanging 'holier than thou' for 'smarter than thou' doesn't improve people skills.

Truth.

NightFury326

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 09:15:03 pm »

Many websites and books I come across are the same -- all forms of religion are for the weak and stupid.  What the hell?  I know not all atheists act this way.  I am an a-theist in regard to traditional theism myself.  But everything I've come across concerning atheism as a movement mostly just sucks and I think I'll have to find some other site to discuss some of my topics, one that has nothing to do specifically with atheism, especially since every other site I've been on actually has rules against personally attacking and cursing out other forum members!

Rant over.

So much of the atheism movement is full of toxic people like that. They have so much of an "us vs them" attitude that- the second you don't agree with them, or identify as something they can't get their head around (in my case- non-binary), they'll throw around some weak arguments in some poor attempt to "change" you.

I can respect differences in opinion, but once I'm being told that some part of me isn't real, forget it. :rolleye:::stop::hdsk:
Former Username- Heather326SC

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 02:39:47 pm »
Quote from: Heather326SC;198131
So much of the atheism movement is full of toxic people like that. They have so much of an "us vs them" attitude that- the second you don't agree with them, or identify as something they can't get their head around (in my case- non-binary), they'll throw around some weak arguments in some poor attempt to "change" you.

I can respect differences in opinion, but once I'm being told that some part of me isn't real, forget it. :rolleye:::stop::hdsk:

What do you mean by non-binary?

I think a lot of atheists hate the idea of people like me who are metaphysically indistinguishable from philosophically naturalistic atheists yet find all sorts of useful ways to practice religion and even (gasp!) work with and revere deity, saint, and other entity concepts in prayer and ritual.

It sort of takes the teeth out of blanket condemnations of religion and ritual when someone like me can derive so much joy and benefit from it.

I think it is superstitious in itself to have such hostility to any sort of ritual, even secular ones.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Tags: