"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Defining how I see my practice  (Read 3612 times)

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Defining how I see my practice
« on: March 17, 2016, 12:08:47 am »
:stop: This is about me, personally. It is not indirect (none of my threads/posts are), and it isnt a generalization. To save on space, I will use these qualifers sparingly, "i believe; imo; its about me; me personally; many, most, and alot of people).The definitions I use are not a generalization and are not from the dictionary.

---

My practice is not as strong and well defined as I would like it to be. I want my practice to be similar if not fully inline with the teachings my family (great-great) practiced from Alabama, South Carolina (mostly), North Carolina, and Georgia. A lot of which my mother and aunt call "wiki-wiki" (not to be confused with Wiki online; it didnt exist then). It is not a religion and the term Hoodoo is not quite how Id term it. None of my family talks about it just say say "we dont talk about such things" and superstition practices that I took on without any oral background about it.

I know. This sounds like I want a connection with something I am not connected to; and you are right,  I want a connection with something I am not connected to because I only have snipplets of family information and land history to go on. Most my family are also Christian as many practices are just practices and not in themselves religions. So, one can practice Hoodoo along side with Christianity. I never knew the name Hoodoo until I looked it up online about folk magic.

I actually never heard the terms: magic, hoodoo, vodou (though you see a lot of it on tv), folk magic, wicca, and all that until I went online.

Though I love the internet, it will never reconnect with me with the spirits, with my ancestors, nor with my family.

Im looking and trying to build a good foundation and I know that magic practices are not just practices they are what I use to get by in life. They are prayers and rituals to which without such, Id have no map to my journey even if there is no destination....and so forth.

So my point? :confused:

I have no real point. If I did, I wouldnt have posted.

Mostly, I want to a. talk with other people who practice folk traditions. From Wicca, Santeria, to Hoodoo, to Vodoun. To wiki-wiki to old school oral paths that have not made it on the net yet.  A general sit down (without needing to know the personal stuff and not the goal of asking for "spells") and conversation about family foundational religious thought or religions. Paths that stem from our ancestors that may or may not have been Pagan.

This would not be Witchcraft because I dont have family in the European area. This is strictly Southern US, Africa, and whatever colonies came and christinized the area, Im sure there are practices steming from that too.

While creating my own tradition is good, I will have no children to pass it on to. Sisters and brothers, maybe. My mother who introduced me to witchcraft,most definitely. Probably my father. My neices and nephews are christian so that wouldnt be good.

Just in general, Id like to be pass on what I learned on my spiritual journey within my family and those who do not want to speak about it, I want to be their voice.

But I cant do it alone.
I cant do it from scratch.

:( Do you have similar experiences?
If so, how do you deal with it?

No rude comments.
No questioning me about the authenticity of my post
Do not assume; ask for clarification

This post is direct and not a generalization.

Thanks guys.

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Defining how I see my practice
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 03:36:46 am »
Quote from: FreeSpirit;188271
:stop: This is about me, personally. It is not indirect (none of my threads/posts are), and it isnt a generalization. To save on space, I will use these qualifers sparingly, "i believe; imo; its about me; me personally; many, most, and alot of people).The definitions I use are not a generalization and are not from the dictionary.

---

My practice is not as strong and well defined as I would like it to be. I want my practice to be similar if not fully inline with the teachings my family (great-great) practiced from Alabama, South Carolina (mostly), North Carolina, and Georgia. A lot of which my mother and aunt call "wiki-wiki" (not to be confused with Wiki online; it didnt exist then). It is not a religion and the term Hoodoo is not quite how Id term it. None of my family talks about it just say say "we dont talk about such things" and superstition practices that I took on without any oral background about it.

I know. This sounds like I want a connection with something I am not connected to; and you are right,  I want a connection with something I am not connected to because I only have snipplets of family information and land history to go on. Most my family are also Christian as many practices are just practices and not in themselves religions. So, one can practice Hoodoo along side with Christianity. I never knew the name Hoodoo until I looked it up online about folk magic.

I actually never heard the terms: magic, hoodoo, vodou (though you see a lot of it on tv), folk magic, wicca, and all that until I went online.

Though I love the internet, it will never reconnect with me with the spirits, with my ancestors, nor with my family.

Im looking and trying to build a good foundation and I know that magic practices are not just practices they are what I use to get by in life. They are prayers and rituals to which without such, Id have no map to my journey even if there is no destination....and so forth.

So my point? :confused:

I have no real point. If I did, I wouldnt have posted.

Mostly, I want to a. talk with other people who practice folk traditions. From Wicca, Santeria, to Hoodoo, to Vodoun. To wiki-wiki to old school oral paths that have not made it on the net yet.  A general sit down (without needing to know the personal stuff and not the goal of asking for "spells") and conversation about family foundational religious thought or religions. Paths that stem from our ancestors that may or may not have been Pagan.

This would not be Witchcraft because I dont have family in the European area. This is strictly Southern US, Africa, and whatever colonies came and christinized the area, Im sure there are practices steming from that too.

While creating my own tradition is good, I will have no children to pass it on to. Sisters and brothers, maybe. My mother who introduced me to witchcraft,most definitely. Probably my father. My neices and nephews are christian so that wouldnt be good.

Just in general, Id like to be pass on what I learned on my spiritual journey within my family and those who do not want to speak about it, I want to be their voice.

But I cant do it alone.

No rude comments.
Do not assume; ask for clarification

This post is direct and not a generalization.

Thanks guys.

Psst - the South was colonized by - EUROPE! You'd do OK to talk to people w/European witchcraft traditions, too, even folks w/a few strega in the pipes (strega is Italian for witch). & Voodoo & Santeria have a lot of Roman Catholicism mixed into them. Shhhh ...
MARK aka CELLVLANVS MAGVS
OMNIA DEPENDET!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:02:50 am »
No rude comments.

*** MOD HAT ON ***
FreeSpirit,

Do not tell others how to post. Doing so is a violation of our rules. This is your first formal warning.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 10:43:55 am »

---

Eeer this is fustrating.

Anyone can post. I dont mind. No problem with that and no telling who should post.

I would like to talk with any person who has the same struggles as I do "as well." If there are people who have that we can talk privately. But Im not segregating the forum. Any help from anyone would be great.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:06:53 pm by RandallS »

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 10:53:39 am »
Quote from: DIASPORA-1963;188280
Psst - the South was colonized by - EUROPE! You'd do OK to talk to people w/European witchcraft traditions, too, even folks w/a few strega in the pipes (strega is Italian for witch). & Voodoo & Santeria have a lot of Roman Catholicism mixed into them. Shhhh ...

Thank you. I missed my history there. Im kinda hesitate to post on this site anymore. The Catholicism part is one of the things that bothered me of trying to learn about my practice. Most my family are Christian but they arent too kind to Catholics so we are all a mixed up bunch.

As for Europe, a lot of practices we have down over here are not all European oriented. A lot of it is just trial and error and what others call superstitions. My mother got some snitbits from Iran while she lived there and in Turkey. Howeer, shes miilitary.

Theres a lot of rich history where we are from.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:55:03 am by unveiledartist »

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 05:37:11 pm »
Quote from: FreeSpirit;188319
Thank you. I missed my history there. Im kinda hesitate to post on this site anymore.

Hiya FS,

Don't be hesitant to post here! Maybe I can offer some tips that will help you feel more comfortable:

When I find a new forum, I take some time to read threads and get to know the regulars, as it gives me a feel for the culture of the place. I make sure I re-read any rules or guidelines so that I don't overstep, but if I do, I apologise and try not to do it again. I keep my mind and heart open to try and understand the intent behind people's posts, and make my own as clear as possible.

It's much like making friends in real life. Sometimes, I just won't click with people, and so I move on. But if I'm listening and open and patient and friendly, then I can get to really know others, and I find myself more comfortable with them.

Joining a new forum is a learning process: if you embrace that, you'll find it much easier!

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 05:48:17 pm »

But I cant do it alone.

These days, I'm less interested in defining my spiritual path than I am in practicing it, but it certainly is something I've hashed out in the past. I found journalling (keeping what some Wiccans, pagans and other witches call a Book of Shadows) to be really useful in tracking what I believe, why I believe it, what effect it has on my life, and whether that belief has changed over the years.

It's involved a LOT of research into various pagan and magical religions & practices. Sometimes, I've dug shallowly into them (e.g. Discordianism, Strega, Thelema) and for others I've dug my well so deeply that even years afterwards, aspects trickle into my modern practice (e.g. Druidry, Religio Romana, Wicca).

I don't have children, or plan to have them, but I'm open to sharing my beliefs, practices and experience with close friends and family. I have a cousin and an aunt who identify as pagan witches too, so that's convenient. ;) And of course I talk my husband's ear off about all sorts of things.

I'm a godmother to a 15 month old, and his mother has asked me to take care of any religious stuff when he is old enough, because she's an atheist but thinks that understanding religion is useful in our society. If my godson happens to follow my path, so be it. I'll have a ton of journals for him to read, haha.

Tags: