Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: The Morrigan  (Read 28381 times)

Shakas

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Morrigan
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2014, 06:19:18 pm »
Quote from: Danyarose;148307
Automatic writing is an old Spiritualist trick I learned from reading too many books on divination. You sit down with a pen/pencil and paper and just clear your mind of anything other than your problem/question. I always ground and center to keep from getting to lost in any one flight of fancy. Then start writing whatever comes into your head. Spelling and grammar are Not important. The point is to let the mind just flow and release information.
I used it when working on projects for classes in college too. In that instance it was to rid myself of extraneous mental garbage. But you are looking for answers from your subconscious and outside sources so it should help.

Now love, if only I could use that trick to finish the science fiction novel I'm writing...

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2014, 12:21:29 pm »
Quote from: Shakas;148236
Funny thing is, if someone had come up to me just one week before The Morrigan reached out for me and asked, "if you chose a pagan god(dess) to worship, who would it be?" I would have gone for Apollo or Athena, with Hermes or Poseidon as close runners-up.  Ares would have been rather far down the list...if, indeed, He appeared at all.  The Morrigan?  I hadn't even heard of Her.  Of course, had I been as familiar with the Celtic pantheon as with the Hellenic, I would likely have known of The Morrigan, but still, She would not have made my list.

But this was one of my first lessons in pagan worship: just as we can reach out to the God(dess)es, they can reach for us.  And it didn't take long for The Morrigan to send me a "Wow! signal."  The rest is a tale still in the weaving...

Tell me about it, I thought I'd be dedicated to the Egyptian pantheon. Then The Morrigan comes in, and she informs me that I am hers. I was quite surprised, but it's an awesome thing :)

Shakas

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2014, 08:40:39 pm »
Quote from: Izzie414;150104
Tell me about it, I thought I'd be dedicated to the Egyptian pantheon. Then The Morrigan comes in, and she informs me that I am hers. I was quite surprised, but it's an awesome thing :)

Yes indeed.  The Morrigan has quite the persuasive effect.  Best of luck in your walk with Her.

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2014, 09:52:45 pm »
Quote from: Shakas;150170
Yes indeed.  The Morrigan has quite the persuasive effect.  Best of luck in your walk with Her.

Thank you :)

maerecatha

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2014, 10:57:45 pm »
Quote from: Asch;833
What are your thoughts about Her? Do you have any experience with Her? Do you believe it is a title? An aspect of three different goddesses? Please share :)

(apologies for length)

I've known *about* the Morrigan since I first studied Celtic mythology when I was younger. When I started in paganism, the first goddess I worked with was Morgana Le Fay, which prompted many explanations to others on my part that no, She was not The Morrigan.

I wasn't ever intending to really work with the Morrigan. Last year I was working with Rhiannon and Cernunnos, and pretty sure that was where I was going to be for the foreseeable future. Well, a lot happened in the latter half of that year, including laziness on my part (and wasting the precious time I had with Cernunnos), and during that time nightmares that I hadn't had for years were coming back without fail every night. I tried all sorts of options to get rid of them, meditation, herbs, etc., but to no avail.

Then one night, during my dream, I felt like something had taken me over/possessed me. It, as one might expect, freaked me out and (in my dream) I went to my priestess, practically begging her to make it go away. Her response was what it would have been outside of a dream, it's your business, you need to take responsibility for it, and make it go away yourself, if that's what you want. She also asked me if I had thought about asking it what it wanted. Derp. Thus chastised, I returned home (in my dream), and proceeded to ask it what or who it was. She replied with, "I'm the Morrigan." My immediate reaction was, "Why are You doing this?" She explained that She had been sending me signs that I was ignoring, so She figured this would finally get my attention. And, because sometimes I'm brilliant, I said "Well, what do You want then?" She didn't respond, just left.

I was skeptical, told my partner about it (who is agnostic), and he looked at me like I was stupid. Yeeeaah.

A little later, I forced down some damiana tea and did a self-meditation. The Morrigan and I spoke again, whereupon I bargained with Her and told Her that if She wanted me to dedicate to Her, then She needed to do certain things for me, which I outlined. We agreed upon a trial of one year. If She carried through on Her end, I would have to carry through on mine. That was December '13.

I'm no less snarky with Her now, although I do make an effort to be somewhat more respectful. Still, I feel like She would know if I was pretending at something, and She'd rather me be honest, even if there are consequences. :P

As for title vs aspects... for me, it's a little bit of both, and I don't have a great way of explaining it. When I use multiple names, I use Badb, Macha, and Morrigu. My reasoning is that is how they were listed in Ulster Cycle as daughters of Ernmas. I use The Morrigan as all-encompassing.

In my understanding of Her -- through experience and literature -- She'll tell you what She wants in the present, but doesn't reveal Her plans until She decides it's time.
~*~Mara~*~
There\'s some good in this world, and it\'s worth fighting for.
If you are brave enough to dance [...] then you are brave enough to burn

Shakas

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2014, 03:33:20 pm »
Quote from: maerecatha;152943
(apologies for length)
She also asked me if I had thought about asking it what it wanted. Derp. Thus chastised, I returned home (in my dream), and proceeded to ask it what or who it was. She replied with, "I'm the Morrigan." My immediate reaction was, "Why are You doing this?" She explained that She had been sending me signs that I was ignoring, so She figured this would finally get my attention. And, because sometimes I'm brilliant, I said "Well, what do You want then?" She didn't respond, just left

I'll just leave this here.  It's actually rather representative of other accounts I've read (and my own experiences with) the Morrighan.  Recommended reading for anyone working with Her, thinking of working with Her, or experiencing events leading them to believe She may be interested in them.

FWIW, I do believe She has interests beyond just choosing individuals to work with Her on personal matters.  I've read quite a few accounts (and experienced UPG) which at least outline an agenda of calling people to help build a new society modeled on Celtic values and principles as industrial capitalism folds up.  

I'm always skeptical of conspiracy theories and talk of doomsday...but what impressed me about the stories was that the emphasis wasn't on the coming collapse of industrial civilization, but rather the building of a new culture, peacefully and with honor, right here in the present day.  Not something you customarily find amongst the "prepper" crowd concentrating on hoarding gold, guns and ammo whilst posting jeremiads about the government, chemtrails and FEMA camps.

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2014, 08:16:11 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;847
If we're talking about personal interpretation, yes, I do have my own experiences&gnosis with her. Personally I'm one of those that believes her name translates to 'Great Queen' going by the many associations I know of 'mór', being used in titles of the landscape. As to whether or not her title can be a compilation of multiples goddesses, or other goddess names being titles of her individual traits and functions, I think it could be either/or. It's hard to tell for sure, but I personally view Badhbh, Danu, and Macha as different designations of An Mhór-Ríoghain.

I'm coming in here late but I agree with this post.

When I was younger and first starting out, Macha was the first goddess that I worked with. I don't primarily use the Morrigan but I do have a little crow statue on my bookcase next to my large statue of Brighid.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2014, 10:38:18 pm »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;153258
I'm coming in here late but I agree with this post.

When I was younger and first starting out, Macha was the first goddess that I worked with. I don't primarily use the Morrigan but I do have a little crow statue on my bookcase next to my large statue of Brighid.
I would be very careful about claiming to "use" deities in general, but particularly tM.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2014, 10:26:36 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;153275
I would be very careful about claiming to "use" deities in general, but particularly tM.

My thoughts exactly! It's more like She uses us.

maerecatha

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2014, 10:22:50 pm »
Quote from: Shakas;153189
I'll just leave this here.  It's actually rather representative of other accounts I've read (and my own experiences with) the Morrighan.  Recommended reading for anyone working with Her, thinking of working with Her, or experiencing events leading them to believe She may be interested in them.

FWIW, I do believe She has interests beyond just choosing individuals to work with Her on personal matters.  I've read quite a few accounts (and experienced UPG) which at least outline an agenda of calling people to help build a new society modeled on Celtic values and principles as industrial capitalism folds up.  

I'm always skeptical of conspiracy theories and talk of doomsday...but what impressed me about the stories was that the emphasis wasn't on the coming collapse of industrial civilization, but rather the building of a new culture, peacefully and with honor, right here in the present day.  Not something you customarily find amongst the "prepper" crowd concentrating on hoarding gold, guns and ammo whilst posting jeremiads about the government, chemtrails and FEMA camps.

Yesssssss. So much yes. I love Coru Priesthood. I've been gobbling up everything I can that they've been writing and putting out. Morpheus Ravenna especially is super helpful and friendly (she's the one I've corresponded briefly with through their facebook page). I just wish they were on the East Coast!

I read that blog entry, and am somewhat familiar. It really piques my interest. Would you mind if I asked about some of your experiences in regard to it? If you'd prefer to PM, that's fine, and if you'd prefer not to answer at all, that's also fine. Completely get how some stuff with Her is very private.
~*~Mara~*~
There\'s some good in this world, and it\'s worth fighting for.
If you are brave enough to dance [...] then you are brave enough to burn

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2014, 06:54:09 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;153310
My thoughts exactly! It's more like She uses us.

Sorry I'm coming back here so late!

This is a yes and a no for me. "use" wasn't the right word since it implies the user having superiority over the used. That's certainly not what I meant to convey and probably chose an improper word. However, my view of the gods is kind of weird and ever-evolving. Im still trying to figure it out myself too. I sort of fall into the camp that the gods are our way of relating to the universe and we gave them names and personalities to make them understandable and familiar. I don't really believe that any of the gods literally exist as sentient beings and, therefore, I don't think I believe that they can use me either. What I meant to say was more or less that I invoke the energy that is Morrigan. Her darkness, her passion, her intensity, and I try to bring that energy into my spellwork or ritual.

I hope that makes sense. I've been working through my relationship to the Divine for a while now and doubt I will ever figure out how I want to see them and stick with it since I'm always learning new things and changing my ideas. That's why me and religion don't go well together and I am drawn towards the fluidity that is just simply my own pagan path :)

Danyarose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2014, 11:58:35 pm »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;154376

This is a yes and a no for me. "use" wasn't the right word since it implies the user having superiority over the used. That's certainly not what I meant to convey and probably chose an improper word. However, my view of the gods is kind of weird and ever-evolving. Im still trying to figure it out myself too. I sort of fall into the camp that the gods are our way of relating to the universe and we gave them names and personalities to make them understandable and familiar. I don't really believe that any of the gods literally exist as sentient beings and, therefore, I don't think I believe that they can use me either. What I meant to say was more or less that I invoke the energy that is Morrigan. Her darkness, her passion, her intensity, and I try to bring that energy into my spellwork or ritual.

I hope that makes sense. I've been working through my relationship to the Divine for a while now and doubt I will ever figure out how I want to see them and stick with it since I'm always learning new things and changing my ideas. That's why me and religion don't go well together and I am drawn towards the fluidity that is just simply my own pagan path :)

You have no need to apologize for your own way of communing with the Divine. Each of us must find our own way. for the longest time I was with you on the Gods being ways of dealing with the Universal, but my perceptions have changed some.

I would say we work with the Gods and Goddesses to build the best possible future for our kindred and leave it at that.

Danyarose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2014, 12:35:40 am »
Quote from: maerecatha;153489
Yesssssss. So much yes. I love Coru Priesthood. I've been gobbling up everything I can that they've been writing and putting out. Morpheus Ravenna especially is super helpful and friendly (she's the one I've corresponded briefly with through their facebook page). I just wish they were on the East Coast!

I read that blog entry, and am somewhat familiar. It really piques my interest. Would you mind if I asked about some of your experiences in regard to it? If you'd prefer to PM, that's fine, and if you'd prefer not to answer at all, that's also fine. Completely get how some stuff with Her is very private.

Shakas and I both are really impressed with Morpheus Ravenna and the Coru Priesthood. I would have to say that I am fascinated to see that the stirrings I have been feeling from tM have been felt by others. It is very gratifying to know I am not just off my gourd or something. I have seriously bad feelings about the direction things are going what with the fact that fossil fuels are being used up and there is so much political unrest. My beloved has a better handle on that. I can say that tM truly seems to wish that the system of laws and values of the Celts be restored and honored in fact rather than the breach. There is a lot of turmoil going on around me now so I cannot be more specific but we will all see this as time moves forward and we can discuss it then.

Morrighan Krow

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2014, 02:56:33 am »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;154376

Never ever apologize for what you believe, nor twist your own words and the fact that another would spur that from you is despicable. The beliefs of one DO NOT rule the beliefs of all, regardless of if they think it is within their power to do so. You meant what you said and said what you meant. The Morrighan (Because only She knows the depth of the bond that you two share) understood your context and for those who do not, it is they who are lacking.

To follow ones path is to be true to themselves and their deities or "energies" or powers that be and much like Cinderella's shoe, this is not a one size fits all situation.

Having spoken my conviction on that sentiment, I would have to agree whole heartedly that The Morrighan carries an type of "energy", which is unmistakable. There is no confusion when She reveals Her true self to an individual as to the intent of Her coming.

She delivers a swift and barely "merciful" judgment upon those that She deems worthy of Her blessings. She is indeed the ultimate warrior spirit who will not coddle you, but throw you out of the nest regardless of whether you think you are ready to fly or not. She will push you into action, break loose your comforting training wheels and thrust you out into the world. 'Giver of justifiable tough love' is most definitely one of the many perspectives that I would bestow upon the Great Queen.

I have had numerous reckonings in my lifetime. All of them hard and sharply edged. I was sexually assaulted in the military, my ex-husband cheated on me with the babysitter's sister, my mother died a half hour after we had a fight and I left her alone with nothing but harsh words upon my tongue. I tried at times in the past decades, since these things began, to nurse my wounds by wallowing or to sing my own tales of woe. She does not take kindly to these types of regressions. She has made this stingingly clear to me on every occasion and has never faltered in 'rodding' me into the correct posture, that befitting of Her follower. She is not exactly what I would call jealous, as there are none that compare, however, when one does not take heed and promptly adhere to Her "suggestions," one definitely finds life to be a bit more daunting.

She does not favor those that pity themselves, regardless of whether they believe it to be justified. For on a warriors path, there is no worthy excuse to lie down and die before death has claimed your final breaths in this incarnation. Even then, one does not find reprieve from Her, as the Morrighan is the keeper of the worthy dead and the Washer at the Fjord, foretelling us of our fate. She wants only the strongest, and She will stop at nothing to ensure that these chosen few are molded with the virtues and stamina that She deems fit.

She exacts heavy dues upon those that are Her favored, and justly so. Soft of hand and weak of heart are nothing She deems appealing, so She eliminates these 'flaws', if one should be so lucky as to have caught Her attention. Nothing is by mere chance but all apart of Her ultimate plan, regardless of whether She sees fit to share it with us or not.

She has many different aspects, both light and dark, but much like Her son Ecne (Meche); He is the Mystic one of Knowledge divided into three (Luchar, Lucharba, Brian) and then back into one again, She is all and one at the same time. To call upon one aspect is to call upon them all to some degree. Danu, Anu, Morrigu, Macha, Badb, Anand, Morgina, Aine, Lair Derg (Red Mare), Modron. The Morrighan. A Krow by any other name... However you call out to Her, or how ever She reveals Herself to you, you are indeed in favored company if the connection is made. Look upon Her and know Her in all of Her beauty and terrifying glory, for She is the Great Queen.

I digress from the main thread only to lay offerings of praise and acknowledgement of gratitude upon Her and hope that others may be so lucky as to have experienced the guidance and "tough" love that She has bestowed upon me in my hours of weakness and self pity, for it is only from Her guidance that I was able to find my own strength and self worth again.

May She keep you in Her blessing, forever and always!

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2014, 11:02:33 am »
Quote from: Morrighan Krow;154675
Never ever apologize for what you believe, nor twist your own words and the fact that another would spur that from you is despicable.

I don't think BrighidsAura was apologizing for her beliefs, but for taking longer than she thought she should have getting back to the conversation. I also don't think she was "twisting her own words", just clarifying her position. How, exactly, is that a bad thing? And, since I'm the one BrighidsAura was responding to, am I to assume you think I'm despicable?

Lovely. Welcome to The Cauldron, I'm sure you'll make many friends here.

The beliefs of one DO NOT rule the beliefs of all, regardless of if they think it is within their power to do so.

What is this all about? Show me where in this thread anyone has done this.

You meant what you said and said what you meant.

Clearly, she didn't.

The Morrighan (Because only She knows the depth of the bond that you two share) understood your context and for those who do not, it is they who are lacking.

Right. That's all fine and well, unless you're talking to other people. TC is a debate and discussion board. That means we debate and discuss. No one person's ideas or beliefs are above being challenged, here. We will ask questions, request sources, and *gasp* share our own opinions and ideas.

Here's a piece of advice, and a rule I set for myself when posting here. You're, obviously, free to take it or leave it. If something is so sacred or personal too me that I don't want to have it challenged, I don't post about.

Tags: