Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: The Morrigan  (Read 28379 times)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
The Morrigan
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:38:36 pm »
What are your thoughts about Her? Do you have any experience with Her? Do you believe it is a title? An aspect of three different goddesses? Please share :)

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
Re: The Morrigan
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:03:14 pm »
Quote from: Asch;833
What are your thoughts about Her? Do you have any experience with Her? Do you believe it is a title? An aspect of three different goddesses? Please share :)

If we're talking about personal interpretation, yes, I do have my own experiences&gnosis with her. Personally I'm one of those that believes her name translates to 'Great Queen' going by the many associations I know of 'mór', being used in titles of the landscape. As to whether or not her title can be a compilation of multiples goddesses, or other goddess names being titles of her individual traits and functions, I think it could be either/or. It's hard to tell for sure, but I personally view Badhbh, Danu, and Macha as different designations of An Mhór-Ríoghain.
Semper Fidelis

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:10:54 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;847
If we're talking about personal interpretation, yes, I do have my own experiences&gnosis with her. Personally I'm one of those that believes her name translates to 'Great Queen' going by the many associations I know of 'mór', being used in titles of the landscape. As to whether or not her title can be a compilation of multiples goddesses, or other goddess names being titles of her individual traits and functions, I think it could be either/or. It's hard to tell for sure, but I personally view Badhbh, Danu, and Macha as different designations of An Mhór-Ríoghain.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you for your response, and because I didn't explicitly say it before, UPG is definitely welcome.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 12:31:22 am »
Quote from: Asch;1109
This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you for your response, and because I didn't explicitly say it before, UPG is definitely welcome.

No probs! We've definitely had some good threads, and sources linked regarding her in the past. If anyone has one of those deities that just immediately grabs your attention when glanced over, she would mine lol. I love hearing other's experiences&interpretations with her.
Semper Fidelis

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:51:50 pm »

I can give you personal experiences and UPG.

She is the only deity to ever thwap me. It was very early on in my pagan life and, up to that point, I hadn't really considered contacting gods. I was focused on witchcraft, more than anything else. I was doing what I'd call a very emotionally charged justice spell. I basically requested the help of whoever might be out there listening. Well, when She showed up I really didn't have any idea who She was. All I knew was that she scared the hell out of me. At the same time, She gave me a strange sense of safety and security. She told me several things.

1) That She would be glad to help me because my request was right up Her ally. In fact she actually enjoyed doing those sorts of things.
2) I had to be really sure that I wanted Her help, because afterward I'd be Hers and She'd have work for me to do.
3) The work that She required from me would take courage, independence and a certain level of... well... aggressive bitchiness.
4) If I wanted Her name, I should look to my mother's people.

None of it was quite that literal, but that's as close as I can come to describing the communication.

So my mom being mostly Irish, that's where I found Her. I worked with/for Her for about 10 years. I found Her to be very responsive whenever I needed help and very impatient when I wasn't moving in the direction She wanted me to go.

I never got any warm fuzzy snuggle vibes from her, but I did get a sense of being protected and a sort of friendly teasing affection. Kind of like a fiercely protective aunt who will rarely hug you, but will always tousle your hair or give you a light whack on the bottom as a sign of affection. Woe to anyone who might hurt you, She'd make them sorry.

She also never gave me the impression that She was a triple goddess of any kind. She always seemed to be just one singular goddess. To me, anyway. I understand that other people might have a completely different experience of Her.

When my life began to change and It became hard for me to do the things She wanted, I asked her how to proceed and what to do to integrate these new things and still maintain my relationship with Her. Basically, she told me that we'd had a good run, but I was no longer useful to her. She said I should look to my grandmother's people (again with the odd phrasing), and I got the very strong impression that I could still contact Her on occasion, but I'd better be prepared to make much larger sacrifices if did.

There are still times when something will happen and I'll feel like She's checking up on me. When that happens, I'll make some kind of offering. I've actually asked for Her help once since then and She came through for me right away. However, she wasn't kidding about the bigger sacrifices thing.

So yeah, She's a bad ass who has absolutely no patience for fluff. I'd go so far as to say that She burned the happy, sparkly, rainbows and butterflies right out of me:cool:. But She can also be very supportive and She's an amazing teacher. I feel very lucky to have had Her take an interest in me.

Okay then, lots of flaky sounding UPG. I just don't know a better way to translate my experiences.

Harzgeist

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 03:40:53 am »

This is as purely UPG as it can get, but I do get a sense of Her when I'm working out and whatever I'm doing is really painful.
give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 03:47:58 am »
Quote from: Harzgeist;1835
This is as purely UPG as it can get, but I do get a sense of Her when I'm working out and whatever I'm doing is really painful.

Ooh this is interesting. I posted a few months ago on the old board that while working out one day the phrase, 'for the Morrigan' popped into my head.

*ponders*

Harzgeist

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 09:25:33 am »
Quote from: Asch;1837
Ooh this is interesting. I posted a few months ago on the old board that while working out one day the phrase, 'for the Morrigan' popped into my head.

*ponders*

Ah, that was you! I remembered reading this post and found it quite interesting when basically the same happened to me yesterday.
give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:15:26 pm »
Quote from: Harzgeist;1891
Ah, that was you! I remembered reading this post and found it quite interesting when basically the same happened to me yesterday.

Indeed t'was I! :D Have you had any further experiences with Her?

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 10:05:27 pm »

For me, She's not a trinity.  She's one goddess.  She's there when needed but don't go playing silly beggars with Her as she's not ipressed with that kind of thing.  She'd help you out in situations but you'll have to work through the fears and crap yourself.  She's just there to give the guidance.  Basically its, "If you don't like the answer, don't come and ask me the ----- question!"  If you've got an answer either take it do thework to get it sorted or leve it alone and quit the whining already.  Having said all this, if I've done well in overcoming something etc, she'll make sure I know that She's impressed.  Not n the sugary, sickly sweet way, but a bthumbs up and wink kind of way.  She tells you how it is without the frills and bows (sraightforward).

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 10:30:23 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;1760

When my life began to change and It became hard for me to do the things She wanted, I asked her how to proceed and what to do to integrate these new things and still maintain my relationship with Her. Basically, she told me that we'd had a good run, but I was no longer useful to her.

And, now she's back. This past Friday, She just showed up out of the clear blue and smacked me upside my head. It was a really interesting experience that I'm still processing, but She's definitely come back into my life.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 05:01:33 am »

Okay, I ... do think I am having a brush with Her, but I am reluctant to properly believe it. I just finished procrastinating over it in my blog:

http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/of-strange-contacts-of-my-best-frenemy-doubt-and-maybe-the-morrigan-9/

I am quoting the part that directly concerns Her:

Since the Jupiter-Venus alignment, I’ve been feeling pervaded by a new, different current of energy - something sexual and the bossy, decisive, the combactive type of Powerful.

I sensed the shift, but I first ‘blamed’ it on therapy, then on the planets alignment, then good old myself.

Except, it seemed more and more like I was in touch with something larger than myself. It is weird when after months of dragging in your funk, you suddenly feel decisive and full of… SOMETHING.

My aunt started to look at me differently, asking why I suddenly was acting so ‘electrified’. Even if I had been feeling like something was pushing me forward, I played it off  as casual improvement,  but l kept suspecting.

Still, when I tried to pinpoint the source of this possible cominication, all I could reason was that, sexual energy or not, it didn’t feel like it was the Ghede. Maybe La Sirene was ‘unlocking ‘ my repressed feelings again? Possible, but my instinct screamed a fat ‘no’. It didn’t feel like Hekate, either, so I just HAD to be wrong.

Mnemosyne and Hermes didn’t even fit the bill for that kind of presence.

So, it had to be all me, right?

Then I watched the first episode of that seemingly fantastic show called Lost Girl, and there was a fae named The Morrigan that popped onscreen and had me thinking right away: sex-warrior- and sovreign. She does fit the bill, it isn’t? And you were interested in Her eons ago, before Hekate popped in? You even got that book about Her you never read in the house. She does fit the bill.

Except, I never connected to Celtic deities when I tried. Utter failures with Brighid and Cerridwen back in the day. And sexual deities never took shine to me – Aine’s connection was passing and Aphrodite gave no response for years.

Plus, a warrior goddess like The Morrigan, interested in me? At this time of my life when I was indecisive and just getting up from rockbottom? Impossible, right?

She is said to want strong warriors, strong weapons in her followers… what was going She ever do with me? Especially considering the mess I had reduced myself lately? It was impossible.

And then yesterday, I ended up getting lost in a song and listening at Someone through it… a sense of overjoyed welcoming filled me while I swayed to the music and I could have swore I was connecting to someone, certain parts of the lyrics hammering inside me that I was speaking to Her, and She had seen me and this was how our run together started.

Which prompted me to say obviously :’it’s just not possible, you are just the part of my subconscious that speaks me inside my head, wishing the Morrigan was actually here. I am not even sure I understand Celtic deities and I am a pretty meek person since… forever? ’

‘I am still here and you know it. ‘

‘Not possible. I just started to pick myself up from rock bottom, you know. I still have no idea how fixing everything  or any of my messes right now. I am pretty certain this is me at my worst. Not much of a warrior’

‘Yet, even at rockbottom, you still got your fight left. Your pride too. I can work with that. You need me, you just started to see how much you need me, and I want you. This is how it starts. Lighting through the heart.’

‘That’s … a very badass speech’

‘I know’

‘But I am still not convinced this is not a mental trip I conjured to make myself to feel better. If it’s you, cannot you send a more… tangible sign out of there? Just so I know for certain I am not becoming bipolar and this my manic phase?’

and then I got a feeling of silence  that was much like ’You already know all you need. Work with that.’

And so now, here I am, still, wondering and questioning.

Doubt, my best frenemy.

I confess, if it was all an huge self-delusion I am going to be so disappointed because if it was the Morrigan I sensed, She was… all that is awesome in the world. ‘Sovereign’ was stamped all over Her-maybe-presence.

And now I am struck thinking about Her and wondering if I should approach Her to see what it happens because all of my spiritual family already gave me hints that to have better comunication with Them, I had to quit the blocking out of my istincts and go with the flow. So I am not sure The Morrigan would be indulging my need for ‘heavier’ signs unless I ignored Her and… that doesn’t seem like a wise thing to do.

So... what I should dare? The feeling of connection I picked on yesterday seemed strong at the time but now it is nearly gone, it's like believing in dreams in the morning.
Does this feels like The Morrigan to you?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:03:47 am by SkySamuelle »
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 11:28:42 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;46891
Okay, I ... do think I am having a brush with Her, but I am reluctant to properly believe it. I just finished procrastinating over it in my blog:

*snip*

So... what I should dare? The feeling of connection I picked on yesterday seemed strong at the time but now it is nearly gone, it's like believing in dreams in the morning.
Does this feels like The Morrigan to you?

Well... yes. Honestly this doesn't surprise me at all. Haven't you recently started standing up and fighting back? That was right up her alley. You may have drawn her attention to you.

It could also be someone else with the same sorts of interests. *UPG alert* I'd recommend also looking into Bellona. For a long time now, I've thought that the two were connected in some way. Not the same, but not entirely separate either.  

Aaand... As I'm typing this there are a bunch of crows cawing loudly around my house! LOL!

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 12:10:57 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;46944
Well... yes. Honestly this doesn't surprise me at all. Haven't you recently started standing up and fighting back? That was right up her alley. You may have drawn her attention to you.

It could also be someone else with the same sorts of interests. *UPG alert* I'd recommend also looking into Bellona. For a long time now, I've thought that the two were connected in some way. Not the same, but not entirely separate either.  

Aaand... As I'm typing this there are a bunch of crows cawing loudly around my house! LOL!

LOL, I think the crows might be right. :D:

I got a big 'goddess of sovereignity' vibe from my 'session' with her. It's not that She presented Herself as a queen but She seems to BE Sovereignity and She made a point to show that She was going to assist me to claim my sovereignity over my life and myself.

So I am leaning toward thinking She is Celtic and... another message She wanted to send was that I had to go after what I wanted and allow not certain personal feelings to hold me back.
It was very short and practical- 'You feel like you have not what you want? Go and get it.'

I feel like the next step is up to me in deepening the relationship. I brushed up old books to find info on Her, but probably my best bet is trying to approach Her via offerings.

I am not familiar with Celtic customs enough to know how those gods like it.

With Brighid, I used to offer beer, and to Aine, I always only gave offerings of flame and prayer. What do the Morrigan favors according your UPG or not-UPG?
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 04:07:06 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;46955

Yeah, this all sounds very much like the Morrigan that I know.

As far as offerings go, It's been my experience that whatever it is I choose to offer Her should be something that I personally value. I've found Her to be pretty happy with whiskey, cinnamon, cloves, dark chocolate and blood. That said, I've noticed from reading other posts about Her, that She really seems to be one of those goddesses who's wants, needs, and expectations can change based on who she's dealing with. So, YMMV dramatically.

Tags: