Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Ghost Stories--Would Love to Hear Them  (Read 24291 times)

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Ghost Stories--Would Love to Hear Them
« on: March 12, 2016, 12:54:04 am »
I love ghost stories.  I still have my ghost story comics from when I was a kid.

I now have real ghost stories.  I'd love to hear about y'all's ghost stories, and not ones that you heard from your cousin's second uncle's daughter's husband.

I would love to hear your personal stories and I'll share some of my mine!

~Gnowann

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Re: Ghost Stories--Would Love to Hear Them
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 03:47:58 pm »
Quote from: Gnowan;187971
I love ghost stories.  I still have my ghost story comics from when I was a kid.

I now have real ghost stories.  I'd love to hear about y'all's ghost stories, and not ones that you heard from your cousin's second uncle's daughter's husband.

~Gnowann

One of my favorites, and the shortest in the telling:

Several years ago I was walking around Bonaventure cemetery in Savannah, Georgia.  I sneezed loudly and clearly heard a male voice just to my right say "God bless you, Miss". I turned to say thank you but there was no one there.  Most polite ghost I've ever run across.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 02:27:58 pm »

~Gnowann

When I was about nine years old we lived in an older home; it was built in the 1800's. The home had what looked like two living rooms, one in the front and a room to the side where no one really went. The set up was kind of awkward so we usually stayed in the front of the house. We just threw an old couch back there in case we needed it.

One day after school I fell asleep on the old couch and stayed asleep till dark. Because I was already an insomniac, my mom left me there to sleep. I felt a cold hand shaking me, trying to wake me up. I looked and there was no one there. My mom later told me that the old man who used to live in the house spent most of his time in that room. That was the first encounter with spirits.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 01:23:25 am »
Quote from: Aisling;188006
One of my favorites, and the shortest in the telling:

Several years ago I was walking around Bonaventure cemetery in Savannah, Georgia.  I sneezed loudly and clearly heard a male voice just to my right say "God bless you, Miss". I turned to say thank you but there was no one there.  Most polite ghost I've ever run across.

That's marvelous!!  Have you run across many ghosts?

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 01:25:15 am »
Quote from: ViolaRae;188029
When I was about nine years old we lived in an older home; it was built in the 1800's. The home had what looked like two living rooms, one in the front and a room to the side where no one really went. The set up was kind of awkward so we usually stayed in the front of the house. We just threw an old couch back there in case we needed it.

One day after school I fell asleep on the old couch and stayed asleep till dark. Because I was already an insomniac, my mom left me there to sleep. I felt a cold hand shaking me, trying to wake me up. I looked and there was no one there. My mom later told me that the old man who used to live in the house spent most of his time in that room. That was the first encounter with spirits.

How did that make you feel?  Did you feel threatened?  Or was it just the feeling of a cold hand?

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 01:30:25 am »

~Gnowann

A quick one is a ghost cat at our house--I think it was my husband's.  We're the mean guys who don't let the animals on the bed unless they're invited.

Many nights, I thought it was my living cat that jumped on the bed to do that paw thing (left, right, left, right) and when I'd sit up to boot the kitty off the bed, there was no kitty.

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 01:47:43 am »

~Gnowann

I worked at a hospice as a pay-it-forward for my mom.  Lots of good ghost stories here.

A man, whose wife was in our care for quite a while, died out on the front porch in his wheelchair.  He'd had recent heart surgery.  The EMS came and used him as a training dummy, using their thumper, to try to revive him.  It was awful--it went on for 45 minutes.  The sound was horrible and some of the training EMS guys were just standing around laughing and talking.  We closed the separation doors but it was horrible.

After his body was removed, that night doors slammed and a filing shelf fell over.  He was pissed off.

We were all worried about telling his wife, because she'd been having a lot of end-of-life agitation.  But when we told here, she seemed at peace and died two days later.  She was so worried for her husband.  And he was so worried about her.

The hospice is blessed once a year, which seems to take care of much of the residual energies, but I have more stories yet.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 08:18:03 pm »
Quote from: Gnowan;188052
That's marvelous!!  Have you run across many ghosts?

More than my fair share. It comes with the territory - my service to deity consists largely of working with the dead and dying.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 10:36:35 am »
Quote from: Gnowan;188053
How did that make you feel?  Did you feel threatened?  Or was it just the feeling of a cold hand?

I didn't feel threatened when it was happening, but I had a good bit of anxiety afterward. I was told that anything that appeared to be a ghost was actually a demon, because ghosts aren't real, so I thought it was evil.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Soletaken

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 05:57:47 pm »

~Gnowann

One of the most recent things I've experienced was about a month ago. Me and my husband were in the kitchen talking, and there was a loud sound like something heavy had fallen on the floor between us. The floor even vibrated a little. We stopped talking, just stared at the floor for a second. Nothing had fallen, the floor was clear, so we just went back to our conversation. It was a little odd, not frightening, just out of the ordinary.

Cheshireheir

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 07:55:32 pm »

~Gnowann

Oohhh I have so many!! My favorite is not actually mine but my friends. When she was 15 she lived in a house with her grandparents and parents. Anytime you went into her basement it just felt bad.

There was a finished main area and to the side two areas behind closed doors that were unfinished. One night she was down there with her two dogs when all of a sudden the dogs started getting agitated.

All the lights turned off and her dogs jumped on top of her. They both stood on top of her and growled until The lights went back on. It took a minute or two.

She got up and looked around and one of the basement doors that had the unfinished basement behind it was open. It wasn't open before.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 08:33:50 am »

~Gnowann

I was sleeping over at a friend's old house in the country for the first time, a house she and her husband believed was haunted, because whenever they said the name of the long-deceased first owner (who'd built it himself), weird things would happen (Xmas tree topple over, heat switch on by itself and not switch off, etc.). They'd taken a "Voldemort" approach after a while, referring to him only as "You-know-who" when in the confines of the house, which seemed to solve the problem. I was a bit on edge, though, mostly because her husband used the guest room I'd be sleeping in as a storage space for his collection of horror movie dolls. Somehow, having Freddy Krueger and Jason staring down at me from the bookshelves as I lay in bed wasn't reassuring.

Anyway, they were giving me a tour of the house, and I asked about a door on the second floor. "Just an attic space. We cleared it out completely the other day," my friend told me. We poked our heads in and sure enough, pristine, freshly scrubbed attic space, all wood beams and wood floor and completely devoid of anything...except what looked like a short metal pipe poking up through the floor at the far end of the attic.

"What's that?" I asked. You couldn't miss it.

They looked perplexed; they had no idea, and they were certain they'd cleared out everything. As we got closer, we realized it wasn't a pipe, and it wasn't poking through the floor; it was set on the floor. It was a metal urn. With the first owner's name on it.

We left the attic pronto, none of us daring to touch it. Somehow I managed to sleep that night.

P.S. Forgot to mention: The house was at the end of an isolated country lane called "Spook Hill Road." I kid you not.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:36:22 am by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 11:26:38 am »
Quote from: Altair;188995

They looked perplexed; they had no idea, and they were certain they'd cleared out everything. As we got closer, we realized it wasn't a pipe, and it wasn't poking through the floor; it was set on the floor. It was a metal urn. With the first owner's name on it.

Sounds like someone was not quite ready to move out. Great story!

Neil deGrasse Tyson

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 08:39:12 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;188996
Sounds like someone was not quite ready to move out. Great story!

Not much ~*spooky*~ ghost stuff has happened to me, but there's a story that I remember being told a lot when I was a youngster. I didn't remember it very well, so I called my grandmother and asked her.

My grandfather had gone out to do something (run an errand or see a friend, maybe?), so she decided she'd take a nap while he was gone. Just as she'd settled into bed, she heard this slapping sound, like feet on tile. Then the footsteps got closer, and the sound of them changed, like they were on the carpet she had next to her bed.

Then she felt something get into bed behind her. For a second, she thought it was my grandfather, but he'd locked up the house before he left and she watched his car drive away. So now she was understandably worried. Of course it escalated, because this is my family and we tend to attract weird shit like this.

She felt a foot, a little cold child's foot, touch her leg. She turned over, looked under the covers, and for a second, there was nothing there but a big, black space, around the size of a toddler.

Except there was something there: a big mouth, full of sharp teeth, that went flying at her face.

She just about flew out of bed and started praying like her life depended on it.

After she told me that, she also told me another one I hadn't heard before, because she could talk forever if she had the chance. :)

One night, very late, she got a glass of water, got back in bed, looked over by the window, and at the window was a figure she described as very long and very thin, shaped like a cathedral window but stretched vertically. Again, like the thing that got in bed with her in the other story, it was black and featureless, except for a mouth.

As she watched, it leaned down and kissed her on the lips (she says she'll always remember its mouth felt square), and then vanished.

She heads downstairs the next morning to her mother-in-law, who tells her, without prompting, of an eerily similar experience.

Cue grandpa coming in and asking what all the fuss is about. They tell him, and he goes, "Oh, I thought someone was in our bedroom last night."

And my grandmother looks at him and says, "Why didn't you *do* something?"

"I wasn't afraid."

Apparently through the whole experience, none of them had felt threatened by the entity.

I'm still a little creeped out though. :whis:
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 02:46:11 am »
Quote from: Altair;188995

Loving the stories!

I worked at an acute care hospice for a couple years as a pay-it-forward for my mom.  You want to experience personally some stories?  Man, here's the place!

The most dramatic one I experienced was a couple who came while the wife (who was the one with cancer) was still cognizant.  They were a hoot and stayed longer than most patients, so we all got to know them.

The husband wasn't well either and went into surgery for some stints and during that time his wife turned and went into terminal agitation.  It was rough, on us and on him.

Then one night he went out for a smoke in his wheelchair (I know, don't say it).  Our security guard found him dead on the patio.  We had to call 911 even though he'd been dead for at least 1/2 hour.  The paramedics came and started using the thumper on him.  (If you've never heard one, it's awful!!)  We closed the doors to the lobby, but you could still hear it throughout the facility.  They were using him to train new paramedics on the thumper and it went on for 45 minutes, while some of the intern paramedics stood around, laughing.

The hospice staff was horrified, but there was nothing we could do.

Finally, they took his body away around 2am.  About an hour later, that's when the fun began.  Doors slammed and a large filing shelf fell over.  He was pissed.

But the good news was that his wife calmed down.  She was so worried about her husband, that when she found out he was dead, she became so peaceful and died the next day.

People that worked in this facility a lot longer than I did have a lot more stories to tell.  I have others, but that one was the most dramatic that I witnessed.  The hospice now has a chaplain bless the facility once a year and the ghost phenomena has dropped significantly.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:29:45 am by Morag »

Tags: