Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: How to make comparative tables?  (Read 5222 times)

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
How to make comparative tables?
« on: March 11, 2016, 11:59:02 am »
I feel awkward with forum software. How am I supposed to post a table, select the number of columns and the number of lines?

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to make comparative tables?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 04:56:25 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;187896
I feel awkward with forum software. How am I supposed to post a table, select the number of columns and the number of lines?

I also want to thank Morag for moving my erroneously posted message to this sub-forum. Is the 'Report to moderators' button the grey triangle with an exclamation mark?

But I still need a crash course in How To Make Tables. I see the chequered little icon in the upper right corner of the message-writing thingy, but I don't know how to cause columns to appear.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 04:58:32 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;187923
Is the 'Report to moderators' button the grey triangle with an exclamation mark?

Yes.

But I still need a crash course in How To Make Tables. I see the chequered little icon in the upper right corner of the message-writing thingy, but I don't know how to cause columns to appear.

I suggest you plug "tables in bbcode" or something similar into your favorite search engine and see what turns up.  I am reasonably confident that nobody here has any clue, given that there's no particular reason we would know. :}
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 05:02:32 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;187925
Yes.

I suggest you plug "tables in bbcode" or something similar into your favorite search engine and see what turns up.  I am reasonably confident that nobody here has any clue, given that there's no particular reason we would know. :}

Thank you! Until a few seconds ago, I didn't even know that something called bbcode existed, but it is the software that makes our messages possible, isn't it? I will do what you suggest.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 05:04:49 pm »
I also want to thank Morag for moving my erroneously posted message to this sub-forum. Is the 'Report to moderators' button the grey triangle with an exclamation mark?

You're very welcome! Yes, the grey triangle with the exclamation mark is the "Report to mods" button.

Well, I just tested out building a table using BBCode in this post, but it seems to not work with our software for some reason. The button is up there, but the table won't translate for me.

Here is the code I tried, at any rate.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 05:09:19 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;187926
Until a few seconds ago, I didn't even know that something called bbcode existed, but it is the software that makes our messages possible, isn't it?

BBCode is short for Bulletin Board Code, and it's a markup language that allows us to format our text. In most cases, it can pretty easily be translated to and from HTML by changing square brackets ([ ]) to angle brackets (< >) and vice versa. :)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 05:16:19 pm »
Quote from: Morag;187928
BBCode is short for Bulletin Board Code, and it's a markup language that allows us to format our text. In most cases, it can pretty easily be translated to and from HTML by changing square brackets ([ ]) to angle brackets (< >) and vice versa. :)

I just tested on the test-subforum. It doesn't work for me either, which is a disappointment.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 05:25:22 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;187925
I am reasonably confident that nobody here has any clue, given that there's no particular reason we would know. :}

Well, I had a small, partial clue, but not a whole one. ;) But that was only because of my history doing HTML and knowing tables in that language. Whether or not tables were an area where HTML would translate well to BBCode, I had no clue and had to look up.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 06:01:46 pm »

Besides the technical issues - can I suggest seeing if there's an alternate format that might do?

Tables tend to be utterly inaccessible to people using screenreaders, and they often format very badly on small screen sizes (like a phone).
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 06:19:21 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;187896

As I recall, vBulletin doesn't have BBCode for tables. I don't think anyone has ever asked before.  I believe SMF2 (which we will move to at some point) has table BBCodes, but I haven't really checked.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 06:56:54 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;187947
As I recall, vBulletin doesn't have BBCode for tables. I don't think anyone has ever asked before.  I believe SMF2 (which we will move to at some point) has table BBCodes, but I haven't really checked.

Does that mean, that the chequered button up in the right corner exist despite it is useless? My question may seem strange for those of you who are knowledgeable in computers, but I am not the technological personality type. I am just happy when the computers work, but I don't know how.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 07:28:30 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;187951
Does that mean, that the chequered button up in the right corner exist despite it is useless? My question may seem strange for those of you who are knowledgeable in computers, but I am not the technological personality type. I am just happy when the computers work, but I don't know how.

The last five buttons in that row are for use in the Wiki area of the board -- which uses tables in a completely different way than you want. They should have named it something else.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: