Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: The Roman Republic/Res Publica Romana, a rival to Nova Roma, is declared  (Read 5654 times)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Through the affirmation of this declaration the modern Res Publica Romana establishes itself as the cultural and spiritual heir to ancient Rome. We look towards our ancestors and will be guided by the many wise and insightful individuals whose works and acts laid the foundation of Western Civilization. We believe the time has arrived to take up the torch of our spiritual ancestors and to set forth on the next great enterprise in restoring and uniting the Roman people into a self-governing cultural and spiritual nation. We embark on this task under the guidance of the restored Senate and her elected and appointed magistrates, in accordance with the Collegium Pontificum, who together act as servants to the people of Rome.

We make this declaration while recalling the names and courage of our forebears and in front of the Gods and Goddesses of Rome. May they support this act and be pleased by it while bearing witness to the virtue and justice of our intent.

In support of this Declaration, we mutually pledge to each other our support, fortunes, and honor.

Signed,

Aulus Aelius Volusus
Gaius Atius Victor
Gaius Claudius Quadratus
Gaius Florius Lupus
Gaius Quinctius Flamininus
Lucia Hostilia Scaura
Lucius Curtius Philo
Lucius Vitellius Triarius
Marcus Flavius Celsus
Marcus Octavius Gracchus
Numerius Iulius Dolabella
Publius Iunius Brutus
Tiberia Salvia Albina
Titus Asinius Dento
Titus Flavius Severus

-- from the Declaration of Foundation of the Roman Republic

Well, the chickens have finally come home to roost. After years of decline and stagnation culminated in a coup last autumn -- the result of a protracted struggle between various factions -- a new organisation, composed primarily of disaffected citizens and those who lost the power struggle, has been founded. Ostensibly this was years in the making and I have no real doubt that it was, but I'm pretty sure that the coup accelerated things.

This is interesting and of relevance to the pagan community primarily because of it's effects on Roman reconstructionism. Unlike Kemetic recon there has never been a particularly strong community of unaffiliated cultores and Nova Roma has basically been the only option for well over a decade; replete with all of it's (many) foibles. Rivals never really took off, either. The creation of a new and seemingly promising community, which while not focused exclusively on the Religio certainly makes a space for it and provides it a place of honour, will have very interesting repercussions.

http://romanrepublic.org
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Quote from: Castus;187883

It looks promising, and their site is actually well-laid-out. And their citizenships is free? I am very interested now and might actually join.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Well, the chickens have finally come home to roost. After years of decline and stagnation culminated in a coup last autumn -- the result of a protracted struggle between various factions -- a new organisation, composed primarily of disaffected citizens and those who lost the power struggle, has been founded. Ostensibly this was years in the making and I have no real doubt that it was, but I'm pretty sure that the coup accelerated things.

This is interesting and of relevance to the pagan community primarily because of it's effects on Roman reconstructionism. Unlike Kemetic recon there has never been a particularly strong community of unaffiliated cultores and Nova Roma has basically been the only option for well over a decade; replete with all of it's (many) foibles. Rivals never really took off, either. The creation of a new and seemingly promising community, which while not focused exclusively on the Religio certainly makes a space for it and provides it a place of honour, will have very interesting repercussions.

I am not a Roman Reconstructionist, but I am interested to see how the group deals with the practical problems of religious and cultural revival in the modern world. I might learn something.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Louisvillian;188063
It looks promising, and their site is actually well-laid-out. And their citizenships is free? I am very interested now and might actually join.
Follow-up: I've joined, and it seems like pretty friendly and well-put-together lot so far. I'm on there as Publius Iulius Albinus, though I hope to have that changed to P. Iulius Alexander. They don't have a very diverse selection of names in the citizenship registry's dropdown boxes for your Roman name; it's something they're still working on, but the site admin can fix in post.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:49:48 am by Louisvillian »

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Louisvillian;188460
Follow-up: I've joined, and it seems like pretty friendly and well-put-together lot so far. I'm on there as Publius Iulius Albinus, though I hope to have that changed to P. Iulius Alexander. They don't have a very diverse selection of names in the citizenship registry's dropdown boxes for your Roman name; it's something they're still working on, but the site admin can fix in post.

Something that left me hesitant and of two minds with Nova Roma, was the infelicitous mix of reenactment-association and pagan denomination, since the firstmentioned purpose risked to undermine the latter one. Is the same dual purpose present in this new organisation?

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: FraterBenedict;188464
Something that left me hesitant and of two minds with Nova Roma, was the infelicitous mix of reenactment-association and pagan denomination, since the firstmentioned purpose risked to undermine the latter one. Is the same dual purpose present in this new organisation?

Kinda, but kinda not. It is, as Nova Roma is/was, a modern revival of Roman culture above all else. And, like Nova Roma was initially, the practice of modern Roman pagan reconstruction is readily apparent and at the forefront as ancient Roman religion was an integral and central part of ancient Roman culture.

They explicitly repudiate being a micro-state or micro-nation. The taking of a Roman name, for instance, is pretty clearly stated to not imply making an alter-ego for role-playing or re-enacting purposes. It's part of joining into the Roman culture milieu. They also seem committed to transparency, which Nova Roman never had, with how the forum and organization as a whole is governed.

Overall, I'd characterise them as a group of Nova Roma expats who learned the lessons of the preceding organisation. A lot of similarities and overlap, but also a much clearer emphasis on what kind Roman reconstruction they're aiming for.

Roman Matrem

• View Profile
Thank you for posting this group! :)

This is the type of community I have been longing to join! It is a friendly group, and they appear well organized. The website is excellent with good and growing resources. They are working on building an independent sub-branch of the organization focused only on the Roman Religion as a Collegium Pontificum. They are devoted to historically mindful practices for modern times. Simply beautiful to see, I feel like my prayers have been answered!

I joined as Procula Valeria Messalla. If you are interested in the Religio Romana I strongly encourage you to participate!

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Roman Matrem;188610

This is the type of community I have been longing to join! It is a friendly group, and they appear well organized. The website is excellent with good and growing resources. They are working on building an independent sub-branch of the organization focused only on the Roman Religion as a Collegium Pontificum. They are devoted to historically mindful practices for modern times. Simply beautiful to see, I feel like my prayers have been answered!

I joined as Procula Valeria Messalla. If you are interested in the Religio Romana I strongly encourage you to participate!

The four most complicated offices to hold in any reconstruction of Religio Romana must be Flamen Dialis, Flamina Dialis, Rex Sacrorum and Regina Sacrorum. I wish those brave souls, who take these offices up, good luck with what they do. Their lifestyle will be complicated for the greater good.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: Roman Matrem;188610

A Reminder:
Hi Roman Matrem,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Morag
TC Forum Staff
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: FraterBenedict;188612
The four most complicated offices to hold in any reconstruction of Religio Romana must be Flamen Dialis, Flamina Dialis, Rex Sacrorum and Regina Sacrorum. I wish those brave souls, who take these offices up, good luck with what they do. Their lifestyle will be complicated for the greater good.

The internal discussion on the matter, on their forum, seems to be moving towards establishing a new priesthood for Jupiter instead of trying to fill the Flamen Dialis in an inauthentic way. Since the Flamen Dialis was under such strict taboos, especially regarding marriage, which would just straight-up difficult in modern times.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Louisvillian;188690
The internal discussion on the matter, on their forum, seems to be moving towards establishing a new priesthood for Jupiter instead of trying to fill the Flamen Dialis in an inauthentic way. Since the Flamen Dialis was under such strict taboos, especially regarding marriage, which would just straight-up difficult in modern times.

That sounds like a reasonable solution.

Phoebe

• Friendly Neighborhood Necromancer
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religio Romana/Ancestral Necromancer

Very interesting. I'm getting back into Religio Romana in earnest, and I always got a weird feeling from Nova Roma as it seemed sort of elitist and too focused on reenactment.

Tags: