Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Stone Identification  (Read 3371 times)

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Stone Identification
« on: March 10, 2016, 02:29:06 am »
I came across this stone on a walk the other day, on a woodland trail  (I didn't see anyone around or meet anyone on the walk that could've dropped it) but I can't tell if it's a Crystal and, if so, what kind it may be. If it is a crystal, it would be quite useful for several reason, but I would need to identify it first which comes as a challenge. I looked at some pictures online, and I could only really match it to a rose quartz. It looks like a pale rose quartz, except it has these patches of brown rock - not smooth,  but rough sort of blots, that seem to sit as a layer over the rock. Is anyone willing and able to help with this, please?

[More detailed description]
Looks like a pale rose quartz, one end roughed and square as if it came from a larger source, the other end faceted with six facetes drawing to a point. The brown patches of rock are rough, and about the shade of dirt or usual rocks (but I couldn't scrub or scratch it off, so I don't think it's just hardened mud). Because the brown seems to be a layer of its own, and doesn't run through the rock from what I can see, it makes me doubt if the brown is a part of the rock, or another substance or rock simply attached. I can only really call the facetes pale pink, as the roughened parts of its body are more white. It's quite small and fits easily even in my little hand, if that helps.

Thanks to any and all replies made :)

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Stone Identification
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 09:03:37 am »
Quote from: Nymree;187842
I came across this stone on a walk the other day, on a woodland trail  (I didn't see anyone around or meet anyone on the walk that could've dropped it) but I can't tell if it's a Crystal and, if so, what kind it may be. If it is a crystal, it would be quite useful for several reason, but I would need to identify it first which comes as a challenge. I looked at some pictures online, and I could only really match it to a rose quartz. It looks like a pale rose quartz, except it has these patches of brown rock - not smooth,  but rough sort of blots, that seem to sit as a layer over the rock. Is anyone willing and able to help with this, please?

[More detailed description]
Looks like a pale rose quartz, one end roughed and square as if it came from a larger source, the other end faceted with six facetes drawing to a point. The brown patches of rock are rough, and about the shade of dirt or usual rocks (but I couldn't scrub or scratch it off, so I don't think it's just hardened mud). Because the brown seems to be a layer of its own, and doesn't run through the rock from what I can see, it makes me doubt if the brown is a part of the rock, or another substance or rock simply attached. I can only really call the facetes pale pink, as the roughened parts of its body are more white. It's quite small and fits easily even in my little hand, if that helps.

It could be...but without a picture it's nearly impossible to know for sure. Rock ID is generally done by appearance and experimentation (like seeing what it can scratch/what can scratch it).
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 09:32:46 am »
Quote from: Nymree;187842

Really hard to say without a picture. I find a lot of white quartz here in North Wales and it is really common to find veins of it through other rocks so you could well have a piece of rose quartz mixed with some other rock.

Are you able to take a picture?

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 10:21:11 am »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;187855

Yes, but I'm unsure of how to post it?

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 10:29:18 am »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;187855

Sorry, only just figured it out. Here.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 12:44:36 pm »
Quote from: Nymree;187857
Sorry, only just figured it out. Here.

Oh yes!  That is a quite nice piece too! It's definitely a quartz of some flavor. The attached rock (I am having an epic brain fart and have forgotten the technical term for it) is pretty typical. However, Quartz classification isn't a fixed science. You look at the attributes and pick whatever seems closest even if it's not a perfect fit*.

The picture may not be doing it justice, but it appears to be milky white with a pinkish tinge to it? If so, I'd class it as a Milky Quartz.

If it's clearer than than it looks in the picture, it may be a Lithium Quartz. I have a very large pinkish Lithium Quartz with virtually identical attached rock to yours that was harvested in Norway; as the UK (if memory serves) is in the same stripe of geological goodness, it may possibly be that as well.

Do my guesses from the picture fit with how it looks in person? Either way, great find!

*from a geological standpoint. Metaphysically speaking, you can have a (for example) Milky Quartz with a touch of Rose in it and it will 'behave' as a blend of the two. I've run into that more than once.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 12:46:57 pm by Allaya »
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Nymree

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 03:48:49 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;187862
Do my guesses from the picture fit with how it looks in person?

Thanks Allaya. Yeah, your descriptions are spot on, and considering that the attributed qualities of both the milky and rose quartz are complimentary to one another, it would make sense from a metaphysical standing that I might find elements of one in the other. Thanks again, I think I have a clearer idea of what it is now and what it may be used for.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 07:32:41 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;187862
The attached rock (I am having an epic brain fart and have forgotten the technical term for it) is pretty typical.

Matrix?

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tags: