Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Your Pantheon's "Everyday Gods"?  (Read 6369 times)

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Your Pantheon's "Everyday Gods"?
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:13:24 am »
I saw this article on Patheos by P. Sufenas Virius Lupus and I think he raises some good points about honouring "small gods", that is, gods who are more concerned with everyday tasks than say, the "big" gods that seem to get everyone's attention. You can read it here: http://www.patheos.com/Resources/Additional-Resources/Everyday-Gods-P-Sufenas-Virius-Lupus-09-12-2011.html

In my tradition, there are land-wights and house-wights that look after plots of land and houses respectively, and let's not forget the ancestors, but I do think that there are some gods who don't seem to get a lot of attention, like Frigga's handmaidens; they're usually seen as aspects of Frigga herself, but if you consider that they are goddesses in their own right, many of them deal with "mundane" matters: Eir is a physician, Lofn deals with "forbidden" love and non-traditional relationships, etc.) although I don't think we have a deity who is specifically in charge of doors.

Do you honour any "small gods"?

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: Your Pantheon's "Everyday Gods"?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:16:12 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;19527
...Do you honour any "small gods"?

I've honored Bes on occasion (this reminds me that I really need an image of him for my home) and, of course, my Ancestors.  Other than that, I'm not honoring any "small gods" at present.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:35:55 am »

My household shrine has a blue hippo on it for Taweret and the mask I made for Bes.  (I also need to make a lion tail for Bes; mask and lion tail combos were found in a number of Egyptian households, presumably for ritual invocation of the god.)

Aside from that I try to cultivate a decent relationship with the local landwights and regularly disappoint the domovoi, alas.  Though given the kidlet loves to help me bake, I've been a lot better lately at ... not precisely 'keeping up my end of the deal', but actually doing the things that trigger my responsibilities in that relationship.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:37:11 am »
I saw this article on Patheos by P. Sufenas Virius Lupus and I think he raises some good points about honouring "small gods", that is, gods who are more concerned with everyday tasks than say, the "big" gods that seem to get everyone's attention.

I have been reading into the Roman pantheon lately. While publicly the community would honor the big gods, the ancient Romans honored the lares, or household gods/spirits, daily in their homes.

I don't think that I will be doing this. If there are any spirits in my home, we operate under the "I ignore you, you ignore me" agreement. They behave as it is, I don't want to get into a situation where they expect anything from me.

The gods I am interested in are Janus and Minerva. Janus is the god of doorways, entrances, transitions. He is also the first called upon in ritual.

Minerva is definitely a 'big' god, but I choose to work with her because she presides over the areas that I do or want to make a part of my everyday life. Wisdom-acting wisely, learning, sharing information, arts and crafts, and civil duty. So I'm not sure that "big" and "everyday" are mutually exclusive.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 02:45:49 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;19582
I've honored Bes on occasion (this reminds me that I really need an image of him for my home) and, of course, my Ancestors.  Other than that, I'm not honoring any "small gods" at present.

NibbleKat made me a fantastic rendering of Bes, FYI.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 02:48:13 pm »

I do nutting!

Most of the time, it doesn't occur to me to set something out for a house sprite or brownies or even to give Bes a nod for protecting my son's dreams. I think I'm at the "taking them for granted" stage. I acknowledge this downfall, but in rectifying it... Yeeks.

I would like to leave things out for the land spirits. Mayhap I shall this equinox.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 05:41:49 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;19587

The gods I am interested in are Janus and Minerva. Janus is the god of doorways, entrances, transitions. He is also the first called upon in ritual.

My parent group did a lot of work with Janus, and he remains one of my favorite deities that I don't actually work with regularly outside that context.

(My own deity stuff is complicated enough that there isn't a sort of 'everyday' thing going on. There are times when being firmly polytheist with a strong general Classical background and a tendency to being fascinated by lots of things Does Not Help. My actual *practice* is pretty precise, but it's hooked into specific relationships, not pantheons.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:54:21 pm »

As a cultor, I theoretically honor the Lares and Penates daily along with two deities I suppose could be considered "small" in some circles (F'ex Janus and Vesta); but my mornings are too short to preform the ritual and my evenings are too long and tiring at the end. I still try to at least do an adoratio, but even that is getting scarce...damn; I need to do something about my practice.

Anyway, I also honor the Divus Iulius as my main deity and am thinking about cultivating relationships with other Divi and whilst looking into Gallo-Roman deities. So, I guess I do; or at least plan to.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Zeno

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:13:57 am »

There were house Gods in the Egyptian pantheon such as Bes and a few others. Of course almost all the Gods had some sort of practical aspect as well (Tawaret for motherhood, Khnum for potter-ers, Thoth for scribes, etc.)

I haven't really worshiped any house Gods, though depending on how you look at it most of the Egyptian Gods could be considered house Gods of some sort. I have honored my ancestors and asked for their protection and guidance though.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 01:45:17 pm »
Quote from: Zeno;19847
There were house Gods in the Egyptian pantheon such as Bes and a few others. Of course almost all the Gods had some sort of practical aspect as well (Tawaret for motherhood, Khnum for potter-ers, Thoth for scribes, etc.)

I haven't really worshiped any house Gods, though depending on how you look at it most of the Egyptian Gods could be considered house Gods of some sort. I have honored my ancestors and asked for their protection and guidance though.

I'm sure they had house entities, as well. And they left offerings for their dead, as well.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 07:35:13 pm »
I saw this article on Patheos by P. Sufenas Virius Lupus and I think he raises some good points about honouring "small gods", that is, gods who are more concerned with everyday tasks than say, the "big" gods that seem to get everyone's attention. You can read it here: http://www.patheos.com/Resources/Additional-Resources/Everyday-Gods-P-Sufenas-Virius-Lupus-09-12-2011.html

In my tradition, there are land-wights and house-wights that look after plots of land and houses respectively, and let's not forget the ancestors, but I do think that there are some gods who don't seem to get a lot of attention, like Frigga's handmaidens; they're usually seen as aspects of Frigga herself, but if you consider that they are goddesses in their own right, many of them deal with "mundane" matters: Eir is a physician, Lofn deals with "forbidden" love and non-traditional relationships, etc.) although I don't think we have a deity who is specifically in charge of doors.

I don't know if they fit your definition, but I worship the Muses. Monthly offerings of incense and libations, preferably the 9th of every month.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 01:18:49 am »

like Frigga's handmaidens; they're usually seen as aspects of Frigga herself, but if you consider that they are goddesses in their own right,

I honor Frigga. Heh.  

I also honor house wights and my ancestors.  

I tried to honor Taweret.  I got a blue hippo and was intending to use it for Taweret and got a "No, that's Aset as Mehet Weret".  

I tried.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 12:03:05 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;20087
I don't know if they fit your definition, but I worship the Muses. Monthly offerings of incense and libations, preferably the 9th of every month.

I should pay more attention to the Muses. What kind of offerings do you send their way?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 12:36:48 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;20772
I should pay more attention to the Muses. What kind of offerings do you send their way?

I had this idea of crafting a monthly ritual in their honor. I recitd a prayer, I offered frankincense and wine, and then I sang a song that I thought was appropriate for each one of them. That's kind hard to pull off, every month tough and I discovered that I feel much more connected if i simply sing a song i love and send it their way.

I also dedicate to them my 'fangirling' aka gushing over movies/books/tvshows board on fanboards over the net. It's something I did even before worshipping them, but somehow it just feels right  and sacred to do it for them, now...

Of course, I am not sure this is the most appropriate course of action ... I would like opening a thread on this alone.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Your Pantheon's "Everyday Gods"?
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 01:26:59 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;20567
I tried to honor Taweret.  I got a blue hippo and was intending to use it for Taweret and got a "No, that's Aset as Mehet Weret".  

I tried.

I got "Nut as Meret-Weret" with mine.  ;)
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: