Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Cold Remedies  (Read 4563 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Cold Remedies
« on: February 17, 2016, 07:03:31 pm »
So here I am, dealing with a visit from the Most Annoying Virus by drinking lemon-balm tea and planning a hot bath. And I would like to know: what are your preferred methods for coping with a cold?

Also, I should really buy a thermometer since I have no idea if I'm actually running a fever or not.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:43:17 pm by RandallS »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Cold Remedies
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:05:54 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;186878
So here I am, dealing with a visit from the Most Annoying Virus by drinking lemon-balm tea and planning a hot bath. And I would like to know: what are your preferred methods for coping with a cold?

Also, I should really buy a thermometer since I have no idea if I'm actually running a fever or not.

I suck on Halls Black Death or Fisherman's Friend and sleep a lot. Colds these days basically destroy me so I'm on death's doorstep for like 2.5 weeks when I catch one.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 07:50:40 am »

I eat/drink French onion soup, as hot as I can stand, drink Gatorade, and sleep. Because I usually have sinus problems, I rinse with saline (neti pots are great for this.) I also take airborne if I have it. If you are having sinus problems, don't take antihistamine, take decongestants and expectorants. Antihistamines dry up your sinuses,which can make your symptoms cease temporarily but can lead to sinus infections or bronchitis if you are susceptible.  I hope you feel better soon.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:55:08 am by MeadowRae »
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:01:45 am »

For any kind of cold I normally make ramen (because it is soup and it is one of my go-to comfort foods) and either use the chili flavored one and add garlic and ginger or add all three.  Actually, for the duration of the cold I tend to sprinkle garlic powder on just about anything I eat (and chili flakes if it would work too).

If my throat is sore, I'll mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar with honey (typically about three teaspoons) and then fill the rest of the glass (a dinner drinking glass) with water.  You can adjust the ratios to what you find drinkable (more honey if there is too much vinegar, more water if it is too strong).

I also like lemon or mint tea with honey for a sore throat.  And strangely enough my body craves beer when my throat hurts.

If my nose is stuffed up or runny, I'll take a hot (as hot as I can stand it) shower, and breathe deeply of the steam.  I'll tent my hands over my nose so that I can stick my face directly in the water and breathe the very moist air (without getting water up my nose).  If my sinus' are bothering me, I let the hot water hit the bridge of my nose too.

And then, at night, I take an over-the-counter medicine that clears my breathing and helps me sleep...otherwise I can't breathe to sleep and just lay there miserable all night.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 08:12:16 am »

I am deeply regretting not having gotten around to making elderberry tincture this fall - I've found it really helps cut days off a cold.

I also do thyme tea for certain kinds of cold-with-gunk colds (this amount of thyme is a 'possibly not safe in pregnancy' amount. Thyme is a sort of weird herb.) Lots of hot baths.

The cold that ate me last week was a lot of 'and now I am going to go be horizontal'. Still is.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 07:02:55 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;186908
If you are having sinus problems, don't take antihistamine, take decongestants and expectorants. Antihistamines dry up your sinuses,which can make your symptoms cease temporarily but can lead to sinus infections or bronchitis if you are susceptible.  I hope you feel better soon.

Huh, it wouldn't occur to me to take antihistamines for something that isn't an allergy.

I am feeling better now; my colds rarely last long. Still a bit off, but well enough to go to work.

I see just about everyone has their preferred liquid remedy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 07:05:26 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;186912
I am deeply regretting not having gotten around to making elderberry tincture this fall - I've found it really helps cut days off a cold.

Does elderberry tea have the same effect? I know I've seen brands for sale that are straight elderberries and nothing else.

I hope you feel better soon too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 08:11:53 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;186912

I also do thyme tea for certain kinds of cold-with-gunk colds (this amount of thyme is a 'possibly not safe in pregnancy' amount. Thyme is a sort of weird herb.) Lots of hot baths.

The cold that ate me last week was a lot of 'and now I am going to go be horizontal'. Still is.

I don't imagine my favorite cough drops (CuraMed) are available elsewhere, but the contents are good blends that I have made into tisanes. One flavor is ginger, menthol (can use mint instead), honey, lemon balm, and thyme. The other is licorice root, mallow root, star anise, honey, and a twist of hot chili.

The ginger one is good for throats stripped bare by drainage and/or coughing. The licorice one really opens my sinuses up. I seem to recall that mallow root is a mild expectorant?

Standard disclaimer: I ain't one of them doctor sorts and always do your herb homework before putting the kettle on. If you turn purple and explode...t'wasn't me.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 08:24:07 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;186946
Does elderberry tea have the same effect? I know I've seen brands for sale that are straight elderberries and nothing else.

I hope you feel better soon too.

Lots of plants - and elderberry is, I believe, one of them - extract different things in alcohol than in water. (Chemistry! Endlessly fascinating!)

I'm not finding good summaries of the difference for elderberry, but I've found in practice that the tea tends to be good in the 'more vitamin C and other vitamins are good for colds' but the tincture does much better job at actually reducing severity and length of symptoms.' Mileage may vary!
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 08:05:00 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;186945
Huh, it wouldn't occur to me to take antihistamines for something that isn't an allergy.

I am feeling better now; my colds rarely last long. Still a bit off, but well enough to go to work.

I see just about everyone has their preferred liquid remedy!

The thing is, they sneak it into a lot of all-purpose cold medicines like NyQuil and Tylenol cold. I'm glad you're feeling better!
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 07:30:54 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;186955
Lots of plants - and elderberry is, I believe, one of them - extract different things in alcohol than in water. (Chemistry! Endlessly fascinating!)

I sort of knew that ... but I was foggy on what a tincture is, apparently. Material like this would have made my college organic chemistry class much more interesting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 07:34:56 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;186989
The thing is, they sneak it into a lot of all-purpose cold medicines like NyQuil and Tylenol cold. I'm glad you're feeling better!

This is why I avoid these sorts of "one stop shop" medicines. My preferred thing for congestion is eucalyptus (Vick's and similar).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 07:35:59 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;187009
This is why I avoid these sorts of "one stop shop" medicines. My preferred thing for congestion is eucalyptus (Vick's and similar).
I prefer a shot of saline solution right up the nose!
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 04:51:21 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;187011
I prefer a shot of saline solution right up the nose!

You sound surprisingly enthusiastic about that. ;)

Alas, I am having a relapse, now with 100% more phlegm. :( It seems to be going round the office. Time for soup and cat videos.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: