Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Candle magick mistakes  (Read 1766 times)

HermitSong

• View Profile
Candle magick mistakes
« on: February 12, 2016, 01:25:57 am »
I am very new to this.
I was doing some candle magick today. Everything was going so well until I realized that I had put the candle in a vase like candle holder.

Bad mistake as what happened was as the wick was burning down the wax began to rise and it extinguised the flame.

At this moment instead of taking the candle out and just re-lighting I emptied the wax and re-lit the candle inside the vase holder again!

That's when my flame started playing up. The glass cracked and there was some black soot around the ridge.

Eventually I learnt my lesson and took the candle out of the holder, not before dropping it in the sink and spoiling all the nice dressing I'd anointed the candle with, lol.

I finally then rinsed the candle a little, dressed the candle in a light oil again, set it flat and relit the candle. And well, apologized to the gods and spirits for technical difficulties.

Can honest mistakes like this be forgiven? The spell I feel was going beautifully if it wasn't for my short sightedness. The candle continued to burn steadily and firmly with no wavering.

I feel those difficulties underwent were symbolic of the difficult I'd been undergoing and the fact that end I was able to relight the candle and burn it down to the end and apologize to the gods and spirits is telling of the success of the spell.

Have any of you ever made mistakes like this? Did you find it impacted your spell?Did you need to repeat anything etc on another day.

Funny thing is, I thought this was the best spell I had ever done and even now I still feel it is the best. Just a silly mistake. But I guess I'm learning still.

:o

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
Re: Candle magick mistakes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 07:02:06 am »
Quote from: HermitSong;186515
Can honest mistakes like this be forgiven?

Of course! I don't know which gods you were working with, but most (as far as I know) won't get mad at you unless you do something disrespectful on purpose.

Have any of you ever made mistakes like this? Did you find it impacted your spell?Did you need to repeat anything etc on another day.

I blew a red candle against the wall once. The /white/ wall. :( The stains remained even after I cleaned them. It was a physical mistake that didn't have any impact on the spell, and no, I didn't have to do it again. But if you have doubts, you can always do a reinforcement spell just in case.
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 08:34:19 am »

Can honest mistakes like this be forgiven?

I definitely feel that divinity has a sense of humor.  I've participated in rituals where mistakes were made, and everyone got overwhelmed by laughter for a few moments, and then we all sobered up and continued on, and I think it went very well.

For spellwork, I look to the end and overall feeling I get to decide if I need to re-do a working.  In the case of what happened to you, it sounds like you feel it went well, even with the hiccups.  I think, in your situation, I would have also considered the spell a success, even with the adjustments you had to make.  If you had continued to have bad luck, and were never able to get the candle to burn properly, I would probably have done some divination to see if there was a reason I shouldn't have been doing that spell right then.  If nothing came up, I would probably re-do it.

But I don't think the universe, the divine or anything else expects us to be perfect.  I think that heart matters more.  If you heart is in something, then you are doing it right in my book!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

HermitSong

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:00:01 pm »
For some strange reason I can't just reply to this thread. I have to quote.

Anyway! I really appreciate your assurances IceAngie and Kylara.

The encouragement means a lot. And I guess practice will surely make me better.

:-)

I am very new to this.
I was doing some candle magick today. Everything was going so well until I realized that I had put the candle in a vase like candle holder.

Bad mistake as what happened was as the wick was burning down the wax began to rise and it extinguised the flame.

At this moment instead of taking the candle out and just re-lighting I emptied the wax and re-lit the candle inside the vase holder again!

That's when my flame started playing up. The glass cracked and there was some black soot around the ridge.

Eventually I learnt my lesson and took the candle out of the holder, not before dropping it in the sink and spoiling all the nice dressing I'd anointed the candle with, lol.

I finally then rinsed the candle a little, dressed the candle in a light oil again, set it flat and relit the candle. And well, apologized to the gods and spirits for technical difficulties.

Can honest mistakes like this be forgiven? The spell I feel was going beautifully if it wasn't for my short sightedness. The candle continued to burn steadily and firmly with no wavering.

I feel those difficulties underwent were symbolic of the difficult I'd been undergoing and the fact that end I was able to relight the candle and burn it down to the end and apologize to the gods and spirits is telling of the success of the spell.

Funny thing is, I thought this was the best spell I had ever done and even now I still feel it is the best. Just a silly mistake. But I guess I'm learning still.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 02:01:32 am »
Quote from: HermitSong;186602
For some strange reason I can't just reply to this thread. I have to quote.

Nothing strange about it; it's because we intentionally disabled the ability to reply without quoting (except for Tapatalk, which routinely overrides our settings on all sorts of things). More info here.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 08:26:55 pm »
Believe me, you're not the first. I never done candle magic before until I visited a Santeria shop and had a tarot reading. I learned a couple of things I havent known weirdly enough. White and red are pretty much universal colors. White for purity and red for protection. I found it weird because I visited a Hindu temple last year and they gave me a red Kavara (blessed yarn bracelet from one of the goddesses) and when I saw him, he gave me this other red "evil eye" bracelet to do the same. Anyway, ever since Ive used only red and white.

Then I light red candle and Fppooof! Up goes the flame. Mind you Im renting an apartment where I found in the lease we cant light candles nor have heaters since its a primarly for seniors.

So, silly me... I thought, okay.. lets go with some incense. Sheesh! Thats worse than the candle. By the way, the candle hold you use,make sure its ground level

Like this:

Its not as easy to just flop over.

The incense lit like a buzzer and it took awhile blowing it out. Burnt a bit of my carpet. Forgot I had wood around.

Anyway...my point:

Takes a chance....:ange:.BE CAREFUL ;) No really. Be careful. If need be, use a electric candle if your altar is like on a counter top or window sill (hope not).

I am very new to this.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 10:14:14 pm »
Quote from: ReligiousGypsy;186677

A Reminder:
Hi, ReligiousGypsy,

We strongly prefer the quote be at the beginning of the message, with your reply following the quote, so people can immediately tell which post you're replying to, and so that the conversational order (other person says a thing, you respond to it) is maintained, since this is easier for most people to follow. (You can also quote a bit - remember to keep the quote code tags intact! - reply to that bit, quote another bit and reply to it, and so on. As well, it's both permitted and encouraged to trim the text of the quote to only what you're responding to.)

While top-posting, as you've done here, isn't an actual rules violation, it's generally frowned-upon because it hinders the conversational flow.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: