Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Does magick influence planetary movements?  (Read 3314 times)

HermitSong

• View Profile
Does magick influence planetary movements?
« on: February 09, 2016, 11:38:32 pm »
Hello everyone,
I was thinking about this question and was hoping to gain some insight from you all.

Does magick influence planetary movements to bring about the desired result that the spell caster seeks?

For example, let's say that currently the astrological transits hitting my natal chart don't suggest anything in the way of wealth, career or love.

I am curious to know then if by performance of a spell planets are influenced to align in such a way to bring about the desired outcome?

Or is magick independant of current astrological transits and will bring about the desired outcome regardless of current planetary configutarions the native may be undergoing.

Looking forward to hearing your views!

Cheers :D:

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: Does magick influence planetary movements?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:57:37 pm »
Quote from: HermitSong;186401
Hello everyone,
I was thinking about this question and was hoping to gain some insight from you all.

Does magick influence planetary movements to bring about the desired result that the spell caster seeks?

For example, let's say that currently the astrological transits hitting my natal chart don't suggest anything in the way of wealth, career or love.

I am curious to know then if by performance of a spell planets are influenced to align in such a way to bring about the desired outcome?

Or is magick independant of current astrological transits and will bring about the desired outcome regardless of current planetary configutarions the native may be undergoing.

I haven't done more than dip my toes in the water of planetary magic, but everything I've read on the subject is about using the locations of the planets to influence your magic, not to try to move planets. I know just enough about astrophysics to know that literally moving the stars and planets would be (a) impossible for J Random Witch and (b) a bad idea for the solar system as we know it.

If you have something coming up in your chart you don't like, I think a better course would be to try to do some magic to counter that negative influence.

I'm curious if you read this idea of planetary magic somewhere? Because I've never come across this conception of it before.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

HermitSong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 01:25:33 am »
Hey Jack,
Thanks for your input.

I haven't read what I am asking anywhere and I'm not sure how planetary magick works.
I was just curious if there was any connection between spell performance and planetary alignment.

I understand that if there are favourable planetary aspects then that can give your spell a boost. For example if I wanted to cast a love spell and I had uranus transiting the 7th house plus it was Friday and the hour of venus etc. I could increase the likelihood of attracting something.

But let's say in the event that there were no transits impacting my astrological natal chart favourable to forming a love relationship, would the magick work regardless of this, or does it wait for the planets to align and then work in harmony with the planets to create a favourable opportunity?

I guess I have in my head that benedictions seem to come when the planets align.

Hehe

Quote from: Jack;186402
I haven't done more than dip my toes in the water of planetary magic, but everything I've read on the subject is about using the locations of the planets to influence your magic, not to try to move planets. I know just enough about astrophysics to know that literally moving the stars and planets would be (a) impossible for J Random Witch and (b) a bad idea for the solar system as we know it.

If you have something coming up in your chart you don't like, I think a better course would be to try to do some magic to counter that negative influence.

I'm curious if you read this idea of planetary magic somewhere? Because I've never come across this conception of it before.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 06:34:19 am »
Quote from: HermitSong;186409

But let's say in the event that there were no transits impacting my astrological natal chart favourable to forming a love relationship, would the magick work regardless of this, or does it wait for the planets to align and then work in harmony with the planets to create a favourable opportunity?

The general theory is that planetary alignments are similar to, say, using particular herbs or stones or any other factor that helps tilt the energy you want in the energy you wish it to go.

It may also affect the *manner* of the magic effect - because honestly, it's very rare that there are no transits that would be relevant, the question is which ones are going to be most relevant to you at a particular moment.

(So, say, with some transits, it might be a gentler effect, and some a bit more energetic. The one time my tradition pays particular attention to astrological transits for ritual is for initiations, and those are done in a 'look at the dates that people can be there, and then look at the overall flavour the astrology will give that ritual. Most of the time, there might be one day that doesn't seem like a good fit, due to the transits, but several others where it's a "If we do it then, there's going to be more of X energy to work with, but if we do it this next week, there'll be more of Y energy, and I think for this person, a bit more Y might work best.")

I do also know people who do a series of magical workings, building up toward a particular point where everything gets put into play (where that point is often a suitable astrological conjunction or whatever other transit makes sense.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 07:57:56 am »
Hey Jack,
Thanks for your input.

I haven't read what I am asking anywhere and I'm not sure how planetary magick works.
I was just curious if there was any connection between spell performance and planetary alignment.

I understand that if there are favourable planetary aspects then that can give your spell a boost. For example if I wanted to cast a love spell and I had uranus transiting the 7th house plus it was Friday and the hour of venus etc. I could increase the likelihood of attracting something.

I guess I have in my head that benedictions seem to come when the planets align.

Hehe

I've always viewed planetary influence as a current in a river I'm trying to swim.  The current can be going with me or it can be flowing against me.  The current can be strong or it can be weak.  But I can still swim.  I may have to swim harder if the current is against me, but with enough dedication and will, I can get where I'm going.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 12:58:32 pm »
Hello everyone,

If you are a god or sufficiently knowledgeable and have the means to move planets then your answer would be yes.

However, planetary magick is about using the positions of the planets to your advantage.  Astrology provides a means for keeping track of natural cycles so that you can act during the best times.

There is an old saying: the stars impel, they do not compel.  This means that given strong will, discipline, and means, it is possible to overcome their influence.

Actually moving planets is physically possible and probable if you are able to enact a strong enough force on them- hence my comment about needing sufficient technology or being a god.

Wimsaur.

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 01:02:48 pm »

Not necessarily. It depends on what you are doing. If you are working magick on someone else (black magick), then you would need to take into account their natal chart as well.

Basically, yes the magick could work. Astrology shows the best and worst times to do something. However, the actual magick is done by you; so you can overcome influences if you are strong enough.

Wimsaur.

HermitSong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 01:18:58 am »
Thank you all very much for sharing your insight.

My confusion on the matter has been cleared up by all of your brilliant analogies!

Cheers

Hello everyone,

Jake57

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:04:33 am »
Quote from: HermitSong;186514
Thank you all very much for sharing your insight.

My confusion on the matter has been cleared up by all of your brilliant analogies!

Cheers

Astrology indicates opportunities, influences and conditions.  Generally speaking, it's easier to do, for instance, a love spell if the current transits to your natal chart favor romance.  However, if the transits make romance difficult, a love spell may be just what you need to do to make a tough situation better.  So, IMO, either way is fine, just be aware of the transits so you know what you're facing.

HermitSong

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 10:58:37 pm »
Thanks Jenett.
Good points, cheers.

Quote from: Jenett;186412
The general theory is that planetary alignments are similar to, say, using particular herbs or stones or any other factor that helps tilt the energy you want in the energy you wish it to go.

It may also affect the *manner* of the magic effect - because honestly, it's very rare that there are no transits that would be relevant, the question is which ones are going to be most relevant to you at a particular moment.

(So, say, with some transits, it might be a gentler effect, and some a bit more energetic. The one time my tradition pays particular attention to astrological transits for ritual is for initiations, and those are done in a 'look at the dates that people can be there, and then look at the overall flavour the astrology will give that ritual. Most of the time, there might be one day that doesn't seem like a good fit, due to the transits, but several others where it's a "If we do it then, there's going to be more of X energy to work with, but if we do it this next week, there'll be more of Y energy, and I think for this person, a bit more Y might work best.")

I do also know people who do a series of magical workings, building up toward a particular point where everything gets put into play (where that point is often a suitable astrological conjunction or whatever other transit makes sense.)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 11:06:05 pm »
Quote from: HermitSong;187020
Thanks Jenett.
Good points, cheers.

A Reminder:
Hi, HermitSong,

We strongly prefer the quote be at the beginning of the message, with your reply following the quote, so people can immediately tell which post you're replying to, and so that the conversational order (other person says a thing, you respond to it) is maintained, since this is easier for most people to follow. (You can also quote a bit - remember to keep the quote code tags intact! - reply to that bit, quote another bit and reply to it, and so on. As well, it's both permitted and encouraged to trim the text of the quote to only what you're responding to.)

While top-posting, as you've done here, isn't an actual rules violation, it's generally frowned-upon because it hinders the conversational flow.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

rishidhe

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 12:18:15 am »

Sure. Spell work or workings certainly influence planetary energies as regards you, in a more or less subtle way depending on your what you're doing and your level of contact. But the spirits'/angels'/demons'/gods' celestial power and intricate weavings of consciousness of the stars aren't a thing we can touch. What we can work with or be helped to work with is a different thing. Not as though you change the dance of the stars by going against the tide. That would be freaky and scary to me. This is coming from, let's say, a friend and teacher.

But if you think about it, we're itty bitty little things compared even to your common asteroid. Certainly the planets and stars are ones to keep in mind for workings. Though I've also experienced personally that if you're listening to the spirits they will certainly let you know if you're going the wrong direction with a working, whether you know much about the stars or not. :)

Tags: