collapse

Author Topic: Questions related to offerings  (Read 2230 times)

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Questions related to offerings
« on: February 09, 2016, 10:41:09 pm »
Hi! I'm still new around here and still getting my bearings, but I have two questions regarding offerings.

1) Can offerings be consumed after an amount of time, or should they always be buried/poured over the earth/set out for animals/etc? I live in an old apartment building (with mice in the walls) and the thought of keeping food on an altar and attracting mice or running outside after each offering makes me wary of beginning the practice.

2) Are food offerings performed on a daily basis? I know about blots, but I was wondering if there was a less formal and more regularly done version of a blot.

I'm still very new and not wanting to cause offense. There are a few gods I would like to begin making offerings to, but I have no idea where to even begin.

I appreciate the help!
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Questions related to offerings
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 09:46:50 am »
Quote from: Elizabeth;186399
Hi! I'm still new around here and still getting my bearings, but I have two questions regarding offerings.

Hi Elizabeth... :) This is my knowledge and practices, which other Heathens have vehemently disagreed with (there is no right or wrong way)...

1) Can offerings be consumed after an amount of time, or should they always be buried/poured over the earth/set out for animals/etc? I live in an old apartment building (with mice in the walls) and the thought of keeping food on an altar and attracting mice or running outside after each offering makes me wary of beginning the practice.

All offerings, whether food, drink or an item (even a piece of jewelry or some trinket) must be destroyed: burned, buried, poured out, left outdoors, tossed into a body of water, down the drain, garbage disposal, even into the garbage. Bottom line, it must not be able to be used by humans after it's offered.

Side note, this is completely opposite the Hindu practice of consuming the offerings blessed by the deities. In fact, in Hindu practice, to not consume the blessed prasad is rude.

2) Are food offerings performed on a daily basis? I know about blots, but I was wondering if there was a less formal and more regularly done version of a blot.

No, not necessary to do anything daily. Some people only blót on special occasions like certain holidays, or to give thanks. Food and drink offerings can also be done only occasionally. Most of my offerings consist of lighting candles and incense, saying some prayers, and maybe putting a bottle of beer or ale, or a glass of (whole) milk, or food, occasionally. I don't do this as often as I'd like, however. And again, these items are disposed of after a short time. I leave them for at least a few hours, or overnight. The candles and incense burn out, so they are therefore not usable again.

I'm still very new and not wanting to cause offense. There are a few gods I would like to begin making offerings to, but I have no idea where to even begin.

I appreciate the help!

It's really pretty hard to offend the gods unless you intend some sort of blasphemy. Everyone makes "mistakes" (if there is even such a thing) in the beginning. A short simple prayer asking the deity(ies) to accept the offering from your heart should suffice. They have bigger fish to fry than getting pissy over a flubbed offering. ;)

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 06:08:03 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;186399

I appreciate the help!

The thing with offerings is, usually they are placed outside with the tacit understanding that anything that eats them is acting as an agent of the gods/wights/ancestors.

As for the form of the offerings, well, depends on what you are sacrificing to. The gods we don't tend to sacrifice to very frequently. usually at high holy tides (midwinter/summer, equinoxes, etc). Much more often you will make small offerings to your house and land wights, for daily things, and to your own ancestors for help on bigger stuff (like, nailing a job interview or scoring well on an exam).

Offerings to gods are for REALLY REALLY BIG things. Things like a good harvest, or plentiful rain. Literally things that affect the whole of your existence. And historically it was much more common for entire tribes to approach the gods en masse, and much less for individuals to do so.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:08:55 pm by bobthesane »

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:37:51 pm »
Quote from: Thorbjorn;186422

All offerings, whether food, drink or an item (even a piece of jewelry or some trinket) must be destroyed: burned, buried, poured out, left outdoors, tossed into a body of water, down the drain, garbage disposal, even into the garbage. Bottom line, it must not be able to be used by humans after it's offered.

I get that you specified that this is your practice and not everyone's, but I wanted to point out to OP that it's actually pretty common to consume the offerings, notably in Kemeticism (where if I recall correctly, the spiritual portion is consumed by the deity, the physical (later) by human(s)- obviously, I am saying this as a non Kemetic). Don't feel bad if you entertain the idea and/or do it, take your time to feel it out (by testing how it feels, meditation, thinking it over, whatever works) and decide for yourself.

But if you don't want to, Elizabeth, there are ways to keep mice out.

For leaving stuff out, airtight containers (left in place once you finish doing any ritual or prayer or anything with the offering), or offerings of water, would both be doable to leave out.

Water is also easy to get rid of in your own home, as are other liquid offerings.

For taking it outside, you could move it to a container (again, so as to avoid mice), then take it with you when you're going out anyway, rather than leave it or immediately rush outside.

Generally it's not super recommended to give offerings to animals unless you're specifically making offerings that are safe for them to consume (eg, nuts, maybe birdseed, which also would probably be specifically good for a bird related deity)

How often you offer is really up to you, although I'd probably figure out a schedule (that said, I don't really have one, I go by my gut).

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 06:41:33 am »
Quote from: Scales;186451
I get that you specified that this is your practice and not everyone's, but I wanted to point out to OP that it's actually pretty common to consume the offerings, notably in Kemeticism (where if I recall correctly, the spiritual portion is consumed by the deity, the physical (later) by human(s)- obviously, I am saying this as a non Kemetic). Don't feel bad if you entertain the idea and/or do it, take your time to feel it out (by testing how it feels, meditation, thinking it over, whatever works) and decide for yourself.

But if you don't want to, Elizabeth, there are ways to keep mice out.

For leaving stuff out, airtight containers (left in place once you finish doing any ritual or prayer or anything with the offering), or offerings of water, would both be doable to leave out.

Water is also easy to get rid of in your own home, as are other liquid offerings.

For taking it outside, you could move it to a container (again, so as to avoid mice), then take it with you when you're going out anyway, rather than leave it or immediately rush outside.

Generally it's not super recommended to give offerings to animals unless you're specifically making offerings that are safe for them to consume (eg, nuts, maybe birdseed, which also would probably be specifically good for a bird related deity)

How often you offer is really up to you, although I'd probably figure out a schedule (that said, I don't really have one, I go by my gut).

*points to SIG title* This isn't the Kemetic SIG. We have very specific ways of sacrificing and offering listed in our sources. We are expected to share in the offering if it is food and/or drink. Offerings are very much NOT to be left in a sealed container until you 'get around to it'. If it is a non-food item, it should be destroyed or rendered unusable by human hands *immediately* upon declaration of intent.

Sacrifices are gifts TO the gods, in return for gifts FROM the gods. It's the gift-cycle we talk about so much. If someone were to offer you a meal, would you be content to wait several hours until they are done eating before they get around to letting you have your portion?

Unlikely. You may even be offended. While it is unlikely the gods would even take notice of such a thing, why tempt fate? And if the offering is meant for local gods/wights/ancestors, they likely WILL take offense AND make their offense known to you. So why tempt fate at all?

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 04:03:14 pm »
Quote from: Scales;186451
I get that you specified that this is your practice and not everyone's, but I wanted to point out to OP that it's actually pretty common to consume the offerings, notably in Kemeticism

I understand, but I was responding in the context of Germanic Paganism/Heathenry. I think I mentioned that in contrast, Hindus consume the offerings. It's Heathens that don't.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 04:50:23 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;186472
*points to SIG title* This isn't the Kemetic SIG. We have very specific ways of sacrificing and offering listed in our sources. We are expected to share in the offering if it is food and/or drink. Offerings are very much NOT to be left in a sealed container until you 'get around to it'. If it is a non-food item, it should be destroyed or rendered unusable by human hands *immediately* upon declaration of intent.

Sacrifices are gifts TO the gods, in return for gifts FROM the gods. It's the gift-cycle we talk about so much. If someone were to offer you a meal, would you be content to wait several hours until they are done eating before they get around to letting you have your portion?

Unlikely. You may even be offended. While it is unlikely the gods would even take notice of such a thing, why tempt fate? And if the offering is meant for local gods/wights/ancestors, they likely WILL take offense AND make their offense known to you. So why tempt fate at all?

My mistake, I thought this was in one of the general forums. Have to fix my filters.

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:34:00 pm »
Quote from: Scales;186500
My mistake, I thought this was in one of the general forums. Have to fix my filters.

Fair 'nuf :)

Tags: