Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Some questions about the first blot  (Read 4315 times)

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Some questions about the first blot
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:25:15 am »
I will start with a bit of background, but if you want to get straight to the question scroll down a bit. Just providing the circumstances for anybody interested. :)

I'm not new to the idea of heathenry. Through most of my life I have identified myself as an atheist as I didn't find the idea of deities or religion as feasible. I have always had an interest in many different religions, however, and spent a lot of time in reading the texts and beliefs of a wide range of religions out of interest and because, despite previous disbelief, I viewed religious practices as a viable way to live life as a 'good' human being.

So for a few years now I have lived my life with values shared by many practitioners of heathen beliefs, but without sharing the religious parts.

For about half a year now I have felt something calling to me and been in denial about it. Recently I made a big step and asked the gods for guidance in a matter that had been troubling me. In the days since I have been having vivid dreams that have actually been helping me to accept what is happening. Because of this I have decided that soon I will be making my first blot to thank the gods (particularly Odin, for I asked for his help by name) for guidance.

Here are my questions: Did you feel the need to use anything special/more elaborate for your first blot?
Did any event in your life drive you towards first seeking guidance from the gods?
Did you struggle at first to accepts your new beliefs?

Cheers - Dam

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about the first blot
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 01:06:50 pm »
Quote from: Dam;186377

Here are my questions: Did you feel the need to use anything special/more elaborate for your first blot?

No, you can use anything you have at hand. If you need to use a household item such as a drinking glass, plate, bowl, cup, or the like, keep it reserved for your ritual. I don't think there's anything in the Lore about horns or special utensils being required. One thing I would not do is keep a knife near the altar, unless the blót involves blood. Weapons are generally frowned upon being kept near the altar when not used in sacrifice, even if they are used for that purpose.

However, I do use regular dinnerware when offering food or drink items. After all, the gods and ancestors are guests; use what you'd use for other guests. I have a drinking horn and a wooden bowl I keep on the altar for when I do a libation blót. Sometimes I'll put a glass of (whole) milk, or a small plate of meat or food using the aforementioned dinnerware. But that's not a blót, just an offering.

Did any event in your life drive you towards first seeking guidance from the gods?
Did you struggle at first to accepts your new beliefs?

I can't say that anything other than feeling a strong pull by Thor brought me to Ásatrú.

The only thing I struggled with, and still struggle with to a certain and diminishing extent is the IYDIWTs - Internet You're Doing It Wrong Trolls. I keep in mind a quote from Sveinbjörn Beinteinsson, the first allsherjargoði of Iceland's Ásatrúarfélagið ("Fellowship of Æsir faith"): "Anyone can pray to the gods in whatever manner he likes". That seems to be lost on many Heathens.

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:57:02 am »
Quote from: Thorbjorn;186378

However, I do use regular dinnerware when offering food or drink items. After all, the gods and ancestors are guests; use what you'd use for other guests. I have a drinking horn and a wooden bowl I keep on the altar for when I do a libation blót. Sometimes I'll put a glass of (whole) milk, or a small plate of meat or food using the aforementioned dinnerware. But that's not a blót, just an offering.

Thank you for your reply. This morning I made my first offering with your advice and I like to think Odin is thinking he has a strange new follower due to my somewhat odd choice in beverage. I don't know if he commonly gets offered sweet tea made with bay leaves, but it came from the heart.

The only thing I struggled with, and still struggle with to a certain and diminishing extent is the IYDIWTs - Internet You're Doing It Wrong Trolls. I keep in mind a quote from Sveinbjörn Beinteinsson, the first allsherjargoði of Iceland's Ásatrúarfélagið ("Fellowship of Æsir faith"): "Anyone can pray to the gods in whatever manner he likes". That seems to be lost on many Heathens.

I will keep this in mind. I have seen such trolls in action in the past. I guess this is why I'm not much of a fan of the idea of finding a group with similar views as of yet. I want to get a feel for my own beliefs myself.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 09:27:20 am »
Quote from: Dam;186415
Thank you for your reply. This morning I made my first offering with your advice and I like to think Odin is thinking he has a strange new follower due to my somewhat odd choice in beverage. I don't know if he commonly gets offered sweet tea made with bay leaves, but it came from the heart.

You'll know if he likes it. Many people offer him hard liquor, but I don't think that's required. The lore says at banquets he gives the food served to him to his wolves Geri and Freki, and he only drinks wine. But when he travels in disguise and visits people, I'm sure he's pleased with whatever they have to offer.

I will keep this in mind. I have seen such trolls in action in the past. I guess this is why I'm not much of a fan of the idea of finding a group with similar views as of yet. I want to get a feel for my own beliefs myself.

I have deeper feelings about this, that may or may not be within the scope of this conversation, but what the heck...

I am from a large, noisy and rowdy Italian-American family (1/2 Italian, 1/2 Sicilian). We have family friends that are part of our innangarðr (inn-ann-garth), which simply means close-knit inner circle, compared to utangarðr (oot-ann-garth), outer circle, less close acquaintances, even barely acquainted.

Tribe is a very basic concept in Heathenry. But as I've pointed out on other sites, Heathenry does not have the market cornered, nor did it discover this tribal mindset. Though some would have you think they did. People from small villages in Italy, Greece, India, China, Africa, and all over the world, with extended families have this mindset without even thinking about it. My personal opinion is that some Heathens think they've discovered something new. There's a saying in Italian that goes "E allora, hai scoperto l'America", "So what, you discovered America"; i.e. you didn't discover anything new (gotta love Italian sarcasm :p).

That said, and to get to my point, I also agree that the idea of going out of one's way, traveling just to meet people you've never met before, and who are not part of your innangarðr, to build a "tribe" of like-minded individuals is, in my opinion, ridiculous. My family are not Heathens, they are Roman Catholic when necessary, but they are my tribe. Am I to put strangers, whom I may not even click with, ahead of my family just because we worship the same gods, and will raise a horn? No, I will do blót and sumbel by myself, in the names of and representing my family and ancestors, regardless of the pontificators who say those are community activities.

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:37:09 am »
Quote from: Thorbjorn;186419
You'll know if he likes it. Many people offer him hard liquor, but I don't think that's required. The lore says at banquets he gives the food served to him to his wolves Geri and Freki, and he only drinks wine. But when he travels in disguise and visits people, I'm sure he's pleased with whatever they have to offer.

I am aware of people usually providing offerings of alcohol. If I had any, or the money for some, I would have sought to provide some.

I am currently brewing some lovely mead, though, which I hope to offer up in the future. I've always brewed my own alcohol, so I look forward to offering some up in the future.

I have deeper feelings about this, that may or may not be within the scope of this conversation, but what the heck...

I'm very happy to hear about people's opinions! I'd rather expand my knowledge and be able to see things from many differnt points of view rather believe only me to be correct.

Tribe is a very basic concept in Heathenry. But as I've pointed out on other sites, Heathenry does not have the market cornered, nor did it discover this tribal mindset. Though some would have you think they did. People from small villages in Italy, Greece, India, China, Africa, and all over the world, with extended families have this mindset without even thinking about it. My personal opinion is that some Heathens think they've discovered something new. There's a saying in Italian that goes "E allora, hai scoperto l'America", "So what, you discovered America"; i.e. you didn't discover anything new (gotta love Italian sarcasm :p).

Haha, family/tribal values are not new to me at all. I come from a very proud Scottish background that can trace itself back to the 1200's and was involved in the Jacobite Uprisings. My family has always had a very strong sense of being part of the clan Fraser of Lovat. Also, being Scottish, I do appreciate good sarcasm ;)

That said, and to get to my point, I also agree that the idea of going out of one's way, traveling just to meet people you've never met before, and who are not part of your innangarðr, to build a "tribe" of like-minded individuals is, in my opinion, ridiculous. My family are not Heathens, they are Roman Catholic when necessary, but they are my tribe. Am I to put strangers, whom I may not even click with, ahead of my family just because we worship the same gods, and will raise a horn? No, I will do blót and sumbel by myself, in the names of and representing my family and ancestors, regardless of the pontificators who say those are community activities.

I very much relate to and understand this. My family is also generally of the Christian mindset, but they're my family.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Thorbjorn

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 11:03:38 am »
Quote from: Dam;186474

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Thorbjorn

You're very welcome. :)

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 11:43:51 am »

The be honest, it is highly unlikely that Odin even noticed. Gods tend not to take notice of human beings as individuals, they notice nations, tribes, armies, etc. The belief that gods take actual notice of individuals is very much a cross over from other faiths. Frankly, if you look at how horrifically it usually ends for mortals who catch the eye of deities in the lore, I personally don't WANT Odin to notice me lol :)

Well... at the risk of sounding like these 'trolls', there ARE right and wrong ways of doing things. If all you are looking for is a 'do what you want' type of religion, then heathenry likely isn't what you are looking for. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it just is what it is. There ARE forms, rites, and customs that we follow. Deviations from these forms, as long as they aren't too far out, may be recognized as individual tribal thews. But there does come a certain point where what a person is practicing would not be recognized by another group of heathens as being, well, heathenry.

It drives me crazy when people try to pass off heathenry as a free form, do what thou wilt type of religion. We DO have dogma. We DO pass judgements on what is and is not heathenry. While we don't have any sort of 'asapope', the weight of cultural approval is what drives it.

GaryG

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 12:14:26 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;186479
The be honest, it is highly unlikely that Odin even noticed. Gods tend not to take notice of human beings as individuals, they notice nations, tribes, armies, etc. The belief that gods take actual notice of individuals is very much a cross over from other faiths. Frankly, if you look at how horrifically it usually ends for mortals who catch the eye of deities in the lore, I personally don't WANT Odin to notice me lol :)

Well... at the risk of sounding like these 'trolls', there ARE right and wrong ways of doing things. If all you are looking for is a 'do what you want' type of religion, then heathenry likely isn't what you are looking for. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it just is what it is. There ARE forms, rites, and customs that we follow. Deviations from these forms, as long as they aren't too far out, may be recognized as individual tribal thews. But there does come a certain point where what a person is practicing would not be recognized by another group of heathens as being, well, heathenry.

It drives me crazy when people try to pass off heathenry as a free form, do what thou wilt type of religion. We DO have dogma. We DO pass judgements on what is and is not heathenry. While we don't have any sort of 'asapope', the weight of cultural approval is what drives it.

banned ;-)

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 12:18:35 pm »
Quote from: GaryG;186481
banned ;-)

LOL Damnit Gary, it's YOU that gets banned. Or had it slipped your mind? :)

GaryG

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 12:21:51 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;186482
LOL Damnit Gary, it's YOU that gets banned. Or had it slipped your mind? :)

many have tried, well, you know the rest...

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 12:26:14 pm »
Quote from: GaryG;186484
many have tried, well, you know the rest...

*finger hovers over the Banhammer button* There's gonna be a RECKONIN'!

Hehehe

GaryG

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 01:01:38 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;186485
*finger hovers over the Banhammer button* There's gonna be a RECKONIN'!

Hehehe

don't make me call Chuck

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 01:03:53 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;186479

This is true. I'm under no illusion of the Aesir actually being concerned about my life, but in my current situation (concerning the illness of a close family member) I'm sure most people would present an offering in the hope that it could help to get through tough times.

I did have a longer response that somehow got deleted upon being posted. Grr. It was more eloquent.

GaryG

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 01:12:06 pm »
Quote from: Dam;186487
This is true. I'm under no illusion of the Aesir actually being concerned about my life, but in my current situation (concerning the illness of a close family member) I'm sure most people would present an offering in the hope that it could help to get through tough times.

I did have a longer response that somehow got deleted upon being posted. Grr. It was more eloquent.

Why would you go to the gods for something like that? Why not go to your own dead and ask them?

It is they, not the gods, who have a vested interest in you.

You CAN be noticed by the gods, but you have to make yourself noticed, it also makes a difference WHY you are wanting to be noticed and WHAT you are attempting to get out of it by being noticed.

As it was said, the gods notice people more as opposed to persons.

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 01:22:39 pm »
Quote from: GaryG;186488
Why would you go to the gods for something like that? Why not go to your own dead and ask them?
First, I quite simply wanted to. There's no other reason.
Second, I will be going to my own dead. I'm actually traveling to be with said family member tomorrow who is in another country with a large number of my ancestors. So my lack of going to ancestors is because I will be closer to them soon.

I know that location isn't exactly needed. I'd just rather be near to them when I ask for their guidance.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:23:21 pm by Dam »

Tags: