Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Human exceptionalism  (Read 2970 times)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Human exceptionalism
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:02:05 pm »
So, I was recently reading an article in the conservative religious journal First Things which dealt with the mainstreaming of the idea that animals, or certain types of animals, ought to be accorded rights equal to that of humans. While I'm certainly opposed to this idea, believing that man was created in the explicit image of the divine and uniquely imbued with a soul, I do wonder what the stance of various Cauldronites might be. What are your thoughts on humans as exceptional?
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Human exceptionalism
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:11:57 am »
Quote from: Castus;186248
So, I was recently reading an article in the conservative religious journal First Things which dealt with the mainstreaming of the idea that animals, or certain types of animals, ought to be accorded rights equal to that of humans. While I'm certainly opposed to this idea, believing that man was created in the explicit image of the divine and uniquely imbued with a soul, I do wonder what the stance of various Cauldronites might be. What are your thoughts on humans as exceptional?

I view animal welfare legislation to be very important, and probably in need of further improvement in many countries, but the idea of 'rights equal to that of humans' seem strange to me.

It would be good for the natural environment, if the amount of meat in our eating habits decreased, but an exclusive intake of legumes and cereals is no option for those who suffer from certain allergies, so a certain level of meat industry has to be retained.

I do not think that animals are under the obligation to upheld Pax Deorum, nor do I think that animals are able to achieve henosis. That ability belongs to human existence. We are beings on the horizon between the realms of spirit and matter, sharing the characteristics of both realms: Part animal, part spirit. That also mean, that we hold our destiny in our own hands: We will cause ourselves to sink to the level of the animals or plants if we cultivate only our animalistic or vegetizing capacities, but we will rise to the level of the heroes if we nurture Virtue, and to the level of deities or To Hen if we nurture our higher contemplative faculties.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 12:26:09 pm »

I believe that animals are every bit as important as humans and that they have souls. Rather, I believe that all living beings are made up of the same "soul stuff" that doesn't necessarily retain its original makeup after death.

That being said, I do not expect a lioness to show me the same reverence she would show her cub. We are made up of the same Spirit, but we are born with different bodies and mental/spiritual faculties for a reason. Humans just happen to have a greater capacity to harm other living organisms than almost anything else.

Because we have awareness and the capacity, it's important to reduce the amount of harm we cause. I think that giving animals human rights is a bit of a stretch to me, tho.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 04:21:44 pm »

Humans are animals, and while unique, are not entirely so. For all animals, human included, are made up of 3 types of soul, and the souls of other animals are every bit as complex and rich and complex as human souls. Humans do have a special arrangement with the gods (hence why were must give worship) but some animals also have relationships with the gods (the details of which are not known to me).

As for rights, that a bit different, since animals have different living conditions and things which are needed or necessary for people are not so for animals, who have their own needs.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:12:23 pm »
Quote from: Yei;186278
Humans are animals, and while unique, are not entirely so.

This.

As for animal rights: yes. The same rights as humans? No. Human rights are designed for humans living in human societies.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 12:59:23 am »
Quote from: Altair;186396

As for animal rights: yes. The same rights as humans? No. Human rights are designed for humans living in human societies.

Kinda this.

I believe animals have some rights -- or SHOULD have some rights -- like the right to not be treated cruelly.

But most things we think of as rights are about how people live in society, and are accompanied by the responsibilities we have as citizens.  Animals have a different place in society.  They don't have responsibilities, at least, not the way humans do.

So, I think we have to think of rights differently when applying that concept to animals.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: